• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone have a radar detector mounted?

Yeah no way MN is going to get rid of the speed limit, its going to be here till the end of time.

I know, and I'll continue to spend my money elsewhere.

Same here. We live in Minnesota but bought a cabin on a lake in Wisconsin. The sleds all stay there full time now, problem solved!

That's our plan too (Cable) but ultimately may move over there. My former boss has a cabin on a lake in Spooner, if that's where you're at too.

That's our plan too (Cable) but ultimately may move over there. My former boss has a cabin on a lake in Spooner, if that's where you're at too.

We're on Big McKenzie lake just 15 minutes from Spooner. The plan is to live here full time eventually. We're here more than MN as it is anyways. Great area and trails out my back door!

the only time I've seen a radar being used is on the show "North Woods Law" I believe it was in New Hampshire...basically the Wardens hide in the bushes and then jump out when they have radar lock...its called being "bushwhacked"lol.
Enforcement of throttle jockeys tearing up the corners would be money well spent..I use a Valentine 1 radar detector in the car, it gives the direction the radar beam is coming from and its super sensitive. The problem with using one on a sled would be hearing it and with eyes forward, seeing the flashing signal.

I live on one trail and there are multiple entrances to the trail system down the main road. OPP was out with radar last week and on sleds today (trails are closed). The pisser is that the side of the road is okay but it looked like the cops were writing tickets for being on a closed trail which happens to also be the side of the road... Typically they are not out there with radar and they are just checking gear and licenses/permits.

In Michigan you will find that the DNR will check you for Trail Permits at Busy area’s … You will find them once in while using radar when your coming from normal 55 mph to 35 mph residential speed zone on the trails …. They will usually work all large busy events no matter what lake its held on , its their chance to write tickets and they do… In smaller towns, you will find local police using Radar on trails, checking trail permits probably for something to do as not much happening in those towns in middle of winter.. Be very careful around Indian River as I have run into them many times in that area… And yes the speed limit is 55 on all Michigan Trails unless posted lower ….

In Michigan you will find that the DNR will check you for Trail Permits at Busy area’s … You will find them once in while using radar when your coming from normal 55 mph to 35 mph residential speed zone on the trails …. They will usually work all large busy events no matter what lake its held on , its their chance to write tickets and they do… In smaller towns, you will find local police using Radar on trails, checking trail permits probably for something to do as not much happening in those towns in middle of winter.. Be very careful around Indian River as I have run into them many times in that area… And yes the speed limit is 55 on all Michigan Trails unless posted lower ….

Post current link to Michigan DNR website that shows your claim of all trails being 55 mph limit.

Last edited:
DNR website will say something like you will operate your snowmobile within a safe manner for the current conditions.. First you must understand that a Michigan DNR officer has more power than most all other Law enforcement, and if he or she decides what a safe manner is its in your best interest not to argue any speed they announce… They can set the standard on the spot… The 55 mile speed limit was from years ago and if it got changed them Iam wrong.. Internet has and will quote 45 Mph… So I seen 35 posted, quoted 45 over the internet and rhode 55 for many years… Cops in northern lower say its 55 unless posted lower…

No posted speed limit unless in residential area. When leaving a posted speed zone area in residential area the sign on the trail says "End of speed zone".
Drive smart and you won't get a ticket.
Most of what the DNR looks for in the UP is trail permits. Then sound checks on mufflers.

Back