• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone run Splitfire SF406B Spark Plugs?? In Rx or other?

Re: Anyone run Splitfire SF406B Spark Plugs?? In Rx or other

TonyVT said:
Just wondering if these plugs work ok. Splitfire SF406B Spark Plug

The price is right at Dennis Kirk??

comments???

tony.....

I can't say that I have run them in an RX1, but I did build a Kawasaki dragbike for a customer back in 1998 that installed them without telling me. This bike ran like 8.50's and was running real well with the NGK sparkplugs that I installed. He out them Splitfire's in and lost 3 to 4 tenths on his ET! Of course I was being blamed and I asked him to bring the bike back so I could put it on the dyno. The engine produced something like 18 to 20 less HP at the rear wheel. It also made the ignition system break up and the top end rev limiter come in at all different RPM's. Frankly these problems are a sign of increased "spark energy" which is the only thing that would make more power when properly fueled.

I am not bashing the Splitfire sparkplugs, but this was my experience with them. If you test them, let us all know how you like or dislike them.

Freddie Klies
www.easterncycleperf.com

Splitfires are snake-oil. Back not long after they first came out, we did a test when I was in college and tested them in a bench-mounted ignition system, so we could see the sparks. Electricity flows through the path of least resistance, period. What that translates into with any V-type plug is that the spark will jump through the smallest part of the gap. There will never, ever be 2 sparks on 1 plug. The spark will jump across the side of the tip that has the least resistance. And don't think that once that side is fouled that it will start jumping across the other tip, because by then the rest of the plug will be even more fouled. The last part of the plug to get dirty or oil fouled is the tip, because thats the hottest part of the plug and will burn off the oil for a while.

The testing we did confirmed this. We tried around 8 splitfire plugs and every one of them always fired from 1 tip, and the same tip every time. So buying splitfires is a waste of money. I would be more interested in how plaqtimums would work, if they are available for this motor. But honestly, I don't think its an issue. We have some of the best ignition systems made, and good NGK plugs are all that should be required to handle lots of power very reliably.

Jim

nhrxrider said:
Splitfires are snake-oil. Back not long after they first came out, we did a test when I was in college and tested them in a bench-mounted ignition system, so we could see the sparks. Electricity flows through the path of least resistance, period. What that translates into with any V-type plug is that the spark will jump through the smallest part of the gap. There will never, ever be 2 sparks on 1 plug. The spark will jump across the side of the tip that has the least resistance. And don't think that once that side is fouled that it will start jumping across the other tip, because by then the rest of the plug will be even more fouled. The last part of the plug to get dirty or oil fouled is the tip, because thats the hottest part of the plug and will burn off the oil for a while.

The testing we did confirmed this. We tried around 8 splitfire plugs and every one of them always fired from 1 tip, and the same tip every time. So buying splitfires is a waste of money. I would be more interested in how plaqtimums would work, if they are available for this motor. But honestly, I don't think its an issue. We have some of the best ignition systems made, and good NGK plugs are all that should be required to handle lots of power very reliably.

Jim

Jim, Thanks for that!! It makes complete sense to me... Everyone needs to know this.

:rocks:

Tony....

Go to the dealer and get 4 more original plugs. They worked well for 4000 miles, use what works. Why experiment? Mine lasted around 5000 miles, and were still working well. i finally replaced them just for good measure. Now I have 4 new ones in my new motor, so I shouldn't have to touch anything for another 4000-5000 miles, except oil changes.

Jim

.... not an experiment, just a plug that burns a little better than the CR9E. Folks forget that everything on a sled goes through the penny pinchers, even spark plugs. You may see better mileage and longer life from them...

Back