• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

anyone running stock head gasket and low boost on gt 25

joey1

Extreme
I am looking to see if anyone out there is running without a headshim and low boost I have an 06 apex mtn with the boondocker gt 25 on it and I have been running 111 or 114 gas in it since the turbo went on. I have been running between 9.5 and 10.2 lbs of boost and I love it does anyone think that the head shim will kill the responsiveness of this motor? and do you think I could get away with av gas or would I be tempting disaster?

Thanks for any input

CV
:4STroke:

boost and gas.

No problem. At 10 lbs of boost I would say you could run half premium and half your 110 octane and be ok. You could run 7lbs and premium gas and be OK.

Does Boondocker recommend mixing fuel at 10# boost? Is this because of the gt25 turbo? Mc-x with .06 head gasket and 92 oc. recommended, this is in 03 rx-1 but it is the same for the Apex for Mc-x.

I have been running av gas this pass three years with boost up to 16 psi on 800 to 1000 ft runs.And yes with the head shim it will be slower on start off,been there and done that.

I ran low comp piston plus 1 extra head gasket on a 03 rx-1. This was at 2 k elevation. sled ran wot all day long on 91 at wot at 10 pounds boost & loved it.It won a lot of local/sanctioned/backyard country boy/outlaw races against some pretty hd modded sleds.

you should be ok with 50/50 mix at 10 lbs, with stock compression, but don,t try running strait pump premium, alot of guys do it but its only a matter of time befor they lose a motor, I have seen alot of guys rebiulding motors due to pump fuel even at 8 lbs, on stock motor, you are most likely losing alittle due to the high octane you are running with that boost, I would cut it to 50/50 premium and race fuel.

snowy1 said:
you should be ok with 50/50 mix at 10 lbs, with stock compression, but don,t try running strait pump premium, alot of guys do it but its only a matter of time befor they lose a motor, I have seen alot of guys rebiulding motors due to pump fuel even at 8 lbs, on stock motor, you are most likely losing alittle due to the high octane you are running with that boost, I would cut it to 50/50 premium and race fuel.

I was told from boondocker that you can run reg pump gas but not to push over 7 to 8 lbs boost, so are you saying that if I want to push 10 lbs boost on stock motor, that I should do a 50/50 mix?

And I could be wrong but I was told that I could run premium fuel and get 10lbs of boost and be ok, are you saying that is bad?

As I am going to put on the gt 25 boondocker and not touch the motor.

I would not run 10 lbs. boost on strait pump fuel with stock motor, as I said befor many have tried and some have gotten away with it for awhile. but you will loose your motor sooner or later. 50/50 would be fine maybe alittle over kill but its better than killing the motor, with 50/50 you could turn it up alittle more if you wanted too. I ran 18 lbs on stock motor 100% vp110.

joey1 said:
I am looking to see if anyone out there is running without a headshim and low boost I have an 06 apex mtn with the boondocker gt 25 on it and I have been running 111 or 114 gas in it since the turbo went on. I have been running between 9.5 and 10.2 lbs of boost and I love it does anyone think that the head shim will kill the responsiveness of this motor? and do you think I could get away with av gas or would I be tempting disaster?

Thanks for any input

CV

I would strongly recommend at least retorquing of the head studs as we always find the 2 front ( Throttle body side) studs loose and this is where the head gaskets always fail even if you run straight race gas.

If you do this you should be fine up to 18 psi boost on the appropriate straight race gas with that turbo.

Ted Jannetty said:
joey1 said:

Thanks for any input

CV

I would strongly recommend at least retorquing of the head studs as we always find the 2 front ( Throttle body side) studs loose and this is where the head gaskets always fail even if you run straight race gas.

If you do this you should be fine up to 18 psi boost on the appropriate straight race gas with that turbo.

yep Ted is right, I did put HD studs in befor running 18 lbs.

Back