• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

apex 162 engagement speed.

adam0939

I just bought my first snow machine. Its a 2007 Apex 162. the machine is incredible. far beyond my newcomer abilities. I want to modify my primary clutch to reduce the engagement speed for a little more range of powerband on the trails. I ride on mountains no taller than 2500 feet above sea level and power loss is of no concern. Any advice would be greatly helpful-A friend of mine suggested changing the spring to a softer one?

If your riding at 2500' you should get the clutching done. If it hasn't had any work done on it yet, they are clutched and geared for high elevation from the factory.

Remember though, I would try one thing at a time to check the results. I ride near sea level as well. Basically, I changed virtually every part of the drive system. I would start by making sure you have the correct gearing...I think it should be a 22 top gear, 40 bottom. My next step would be 14.5 mm rollers. This drops the engagement speed, and can be done without taking off the clutch...careful not to drop pieces taking them out. From there, figure out the ramp to use in the secondary, I used an Apex RTX short track ramp. Lastly, I got the weights set correctly. I ended up with Heel clickers for easy adjustability, but I had a decent setup with an RTX arm setup. Anyway this woke up the sled. The factory setup is for 8-10k altitude, and I found many cheezy dealers that would not setup the sled for low altitude(gearing and clutching), but charged Yamaha with the setup charge. Nice.
Three things really made this machine fun for me: good clutching, Good shock setup, and a Power claw track.

Good luck

what do you prefer?

krentz said:
Remember though, I would try one thing at a time to check the results. I ride near sea level as well. Basically, I changed virtually every part of the drive system. I would start by making sure you have the correct gearing...I think it should be a 22 top gear, 40 bottom. My next step would be 14.5 mm rollers. This drops the engagement speed, and can be done without taking off the clutch...careful not to drop pieces taking them out. From there, figure out the ramp to use in the secondary, I used an Apex RTX short track ramp. Lastly, I got the weights set correctly. I ended up with Heel clickers for easy adjustability, but I had a decent setup with an RTX arm setup. Anyway this woke up the sled. The factory setup is for 8-10k altitude, and I found many cheezy dealers that would not setup the sled for low altitude(gearing and clutching), but charged Yamaha with the setup charge. Nice.
Three things really made this machine fun for me: good clutching, Good shock setup, and a Power claw track.

Good luck

Do you think its wise to go with "factory" yamaha parts or do you prefer aftermarket parts? I would like to have the dealer do the actual mods, because if I foul something up I dont wanna hear their whining.

I did the factory specs, ended up adjusting a little to get 10900 on trail to end up at 10500 off trail at low ele. Stock set up works well for me as well at high ele with a different primary spring, and a rivet adjustment.

I preferred the aftermarket clutch setup, because it is adjustable by me. There are several of these kits available: heelclickers, dalton, etc. It really gives a nice mid range pull that I didn't get with either oem setups. I do think changing the straight ramp in the secondary to the 2 stage ramp is important as well. I got to test a stock setup clutch vs my heelclicker setup, and there was a noticable difference to me. Until they release some more technology with these clutches, my only upgrade would be a shockwave helix or maybe the new tied team secondary. Don't be afraid to mix the secondary twist up some. On the secondary, I tried several different twist settings and a couple different springs to find the best compromise. Everybody likes something a little different. I am happy with my clutch, and now am working on the suspension. The rear needs help. The front is revalved(much better). Good luck.

Back