• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex bad steering

speedx

Extreme
Hi!

Have pull up limiter strap on my apex and sled got bad steering. How to do with front shocks more or less preload to spring, to get better steering? Did look at diffrent threads, but always diffrent answeres:)

Thanks / Speedx :nos

That depends on the kind of shocks you have. If you have fox floats, you need to adjust air pressure. If you have regular steel springs, you need to thread the retainer nuts up or down the shaft as you require.

More preload to correct understeer, loosen front springs to lighten steering effort.

dhkr123 said:
That depends on the kind of shocks you have. If you have fox floats, you need to adjust air pressure. If you have regular steel springs, you need to thread the retainer nuts up or down the shaft as you require.

Yes I know! why do you think I ask.

what is bad, to much effort, darting, pushing? not enuf info to help you out here if we dont know what were trying to fix. ande what shocks you have would help too.

raginyamaha said:
what is bad, to much effort, darting, pushing? not enuf info to help you out here if we dont know what were trying to fix. ande what shocks you have would help too.

I have stock shocks. Have sag 45 mm on rear. Had to pull up limiter strap when track would ratcheting very easy. Now can have track little looser with out ratcheting. Have one hole from max on limiter strap(shorter). Sled did steer good before i pull up one hole. Just ned to get little better steering in corner. Sorry for bad info. Need some info about front spring setting. Im a heavy rider.

To get the skis to turn better in a corner, increase the preload on the front shock springs. If the shocks are Fox Floats, put more air in the shocks. If the shock has a spring, turn the lock collar to make the spring shorter.
Less preload will make the front end of the sled slide across to the outside of the turn.
My Swedish isn't good but I hope this helps.

Sno Cat said:
To get the skis to turn better in a corner, increase the preload on the front shock springs. If the shocks are Fox Floats, put more air in the shocks. If the shock has a spring, turn the lock collar to make the spring shorter.
Less preload will make the front end of the sled slide across to the outside of the turn.
My Swedish isn't good but I hope this helps.

Thanks Sno cat!

If you want the sled to track in the corners i.e. it goes where you point it and with light steering effort put on a set of snow trackers. Support the front of the sled off the ground and back off the shock spring adjusting nut until the spring rattles, then tighten the adjusting nut until the rattle stops. You're done. The snow trackers are about $200 Canadian but well worth it in my opinion. BTW you can set the limiter strap back to the stock position.

Maybe I can lend this topic for my own purposes, as I´m struggling with same kind of problems.

I have an Apex ER with stock shocks front and back (Mono). My skis are SlyDog Powder Hounds. The problem is that the sled pushes quite a lot on hard packed snow but on powder too. Limiter strap is in a stock position and the sled is quite heavy to steer, also.

If I understood correctly, I need to increase the preload on front shocks? I might pull up the limiter strap one position (shorter), but wouldn´t that make the steering heavier?

Any suggestions on transfer rod adjustment?

Ps. I purchased today a new set of carbides, Stud Boy Shaper Bar 6" but haven´t installed them yet. Maybe I should install them first and then try different settings.

I have an 06 ER with the limiter in the stock position. I am 230 plus so I have gone to a heavier spring on the mono shock. I adjusted the transfer rod longer leaving about a quarter adjustment left. I adjusted the front springs as TBay said, raise the sled, loosen springs completely then retighten so they don't rattle. This will leave the a arms flat or horizontal to the ground. I run pilot skiis with shaper bars middle and outside. Sled handles so much better then ever.

TBay Sledhead said:
If you want the sled to track in the corners i.e. it goes where you point it and with light steering effort put on a set of snow trackers. Support the front of the sled off the ground and back off the shock spring adjusting nut until the spring rattles, then tighten the adjusting nut until the rattle stops. You're done. The snow trackers are about $200 Canadian but well worth it in my opinion. BTW you can set the limiter strap back to the stock position.

Cant set limiter strap stock. Do you need snow trackers to do this? Have tried to increase adjuster 3 full turns putting more preload on front shocks. Sled did turn better. But will try set front suspesion as you say to test if it get better.

I installed the 6" Shaper Bars and now there´s no push at all :Rockon:

However now the sled turns too sharp on hard pack snow and I´m almost thrown off the seat all the time.
So, should I decrease the preload on front shocks? And if I adjust the transfer rod longer, does it move the weight back?

Back