• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex clutch question

snoprof6

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
20 Indy XCR
16 Zr 6000 LTD
02 Sx Viper
02 Sx Viper
Running the original heelclicker weights as per heelclicker's guidelines.
I am running 2 extra washers in the center and 2 extra washers in the heel to bring the engagement down.
I wrapped the secondary at 6-3. Ten degrees tighter than their recommendations, to bring my rpms up a fuzz. It gets out of the hole around 10,900-11,000 depending on temp and snow. Then pulls pretty good, ands sometimes the sled settles back down to 10,500-10,600. Now it only does this sometimes. It feels like the sled falls on its face. But for trail riding I love the set up. Wick back shifting of you're cruising then stab the throttle, almost instant. And my clutches are cool to the touch, even after aggressive trail riding.

Question is, why is it settling back down to 10,500-10,600? And why only sometimes?
Sled has a 136 cobra. Geared 1 tooth down on to and 1 tooth up on the bottom.

You don't need to gear these sleds down. What is the total weight of the arms? What springs are you using? What springs came in that kit? What helix are you using? It sounds as if you are tapping the rev limiter off the line. How old is your belt? Yamaha belt? Your clutch temps sound great. I might try to run that secondary at 6-2 with stock spring and maybe pull one gram of tip weight. By the way that exhaust sounds wicked.

Last edited:
I re geared it only because I went with a 136 track and never really ever see anything over 105 mph Anyways. I can't give you a weight only because I'm not in town. I'm using the white spring that came in the kit and the yellow secondary spring wrapped at 6-3 for Better throttle response on and off the throttle. Belt is a yammi's belt maybe 150 miles on it. Running 0 weight in the tip. All in the center and heel. Thanks for the exhaust comment, it sounds amazing.

Some times the problem with lower gearing is you blow the traction out on corners and take off. I really like Supertorquer weights, set ups not so much. If your kit came with the black primary spring I would run that, it will cure your high engagement and might help on top also. The white spring is a 170-360, the black is a 140 400.. You might be able to run the stock secondary spring or even a silver spring. This will really load the motor and make it "drive" better. Some clutch kits give you the illusion that it is really working by running tight secondary spring but you lose what I call "drive"---the sled runs the right rpm's and has good throttle response but goes nowhere. These motors like to be loaded, not spun. Also you might be able to shift some of that weight to the tip.

I have used the Draggin Flies in these sleds with great results. We always use the stock or silver spring in the secondary and some light weight in the tip. I would be interested to know the empty and loaded weight of the original heelclicker, maybe then I could compare it to my notes on the flies.

Will keep you posted. Should it choose to snow ever again.

from my experience you should come out at 10500 let it pull to 10700 you will go better all the way threw i prob would have geared down for trail weight heel up as much as it can handle then let it pull to 10700

Thanks for the suggestions. This is a work in progress so I'm gonna try all these suggestions. I've read atleast 12 different dyno sheets on the 06-10 apexes. One says peak rpm is 10,500... Another says 10,7000, another 10,900. I suppose until I dyno this engine.... I'll use my seat of the pants dyno.

to get best results get a friend to run you if his sled is close then start working on yours that way you will know if your going better

What i did on m'y dragon fly Clutch kit il took the softer spring and put IT e bit softer and the weight are 63 gr each i can Tell you on the curve trail the sled have an instant response and i feel the second speed when the shoulder Reach the resistance point i am 2 sled on front a 2020 chip skidoo turbo i am using 4.6 liter lest gaz on race mode and 2.6 on grandpa mod

Back