• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex more stable than RX-1

QCRider said:
Tork, while Yamaha may have made suspension upgrades on the front of the sled to minimize the effect of the higher center of gravity, the fact remains that an '03 RX-1 with the same suspension setup will corner flatter than an '04, '05, OR '06 because each year the rider's weight moved higher and higher.

I agree. with the same suspension set up But they are and have been changing the suspension set up.
I may be off base here, but to me the stock 03 RX-1s were very tippy. A stock 05 much less so. This tells me that front roll stiffness plays a bigger part in stability than center of gravity at least up to the roll over point.

Tork said:
I may be off base here, but to me the stock 03 RX-1s were very tippy. A stock 05 much less so. This tells me that front roll stiffness plays a bigger part in stability than center of gravity at least up to the roll over point.

I have added the new swaybar links and also put the Bergstrom shim in it. It helped out greatly, now a stiffer sway bar should cure all.

I don't think bump steer was the main reason for getting away from a trailing arm suspension. A-arms have more travel without bind, and with that comes freed up suspensions, longer travel, less wear and tear, etc. You could easily create a trailing arm suspension without bump steer, so long as the links connecting the trailing arm to the chassis (in front) were parallel to and of equal length to the tie rods. A-arms have become popular because of their increased travel potential and freedom of movement. And, no doubt, because of the constant caster angle. Although caster gain through range of movement is, again, not necessarily a bad thing.

The only thing that could make the new sleds more stable is the front geometry. The changes in seat height, bar height and moving the bars forward can only hurt the straightline stability and cornering stability when riding in the traditional stance.

However, if you don't mind working more in the corners, like with the Rev and F-cats you can actually get better performance from these changes. It will also allow you to control the sled a little better in the bumps.

So it is basically a tradeoff. You can have a better handling sled in the corners if you want to work more (also better in the bumps requiring a little less work) or you can have a sled that has better high speed stability and slighlty less work to control but might not handle quite as well on the tight and twisties.

QCRider said:
impalapower said:
SnowdemonsRX1 said:
Here we go again :tg:

Fight :o| fight :o| fight :o|

Not this time

You might want to requalify how you think an 03 corners flatter than an 05......with the same suspension setup. They don't have the same suspension, and the 05 corners like its on rails compared to the 03, so what is your point?

wolfie said:
You might want to requalify how you think an 03 corners flatter than an 05......with the same suspension setup.

They don't have the same suspension, and the 05 corners like its on rails compared to the 03, so what is your point?
They have *exactly* the same suspension, except for how it is set up. The 05 is set up with different springs, swaybar, and links.

03 *could* corner flatter when set up the same because the rider sits lower on it, thus it has a lower COG, which makes it corner flat.

Just so everyone knows an 2003 RX-1 has NO bump steer at all. I recently installed longer shocks on mine and I precisly measured the ackerman angles very carefully to ensure that my longer shocks wouldnt create any bump steer by moving further through the suspension travel. These measurements we taken without shocks and sway bar installed. I agree that a-arm suspension can and is usefull in some instances to have bump steer But It is impossible to make A RX-1 with stock arms have any at all. Furthermore shortening the spindles will not make any differance in toe in or out only in cog. I believe the main reason they went to shorter spindles is to lower the cg due to the fact the front shocks are longer therfore raising the cg. Oh and if anyones interested the longest travel that A RX-1 can have in the front is 11.25" and it does make it way more tippy :drink: but it does soak up huge bumps :D

rode 06 today

Well i dont know about tall riding position on 06 apex handling bad,because it is not tru,we rode back to back runs on rx1 vector and warrior than 06 apex,the apex handled so much better than any sled i have ridden of any so called tall sleds to date and i owne a 05 fusion,this new apex is just awsome,it turns so quick and precise it is scary..

Thank you very much mnmsnowbeast. This sums up my feelings on the Apex as well.
Since you sit taller, did it feel tippy in the corners in any way?
How do you like your Fusion?

Tork said:
Wolfie,
I dont get the connection between what you quoted and your post. Who's statement are you refering to????????

Sorry, bad cut and paste. I was referring to QCRiders post

"Tork, while Yamaha may have made suspension upgrades on the front of the sled to minimize the effect of the higher center of gravity, the fact remains that an '03 RX-1 with the same suspension setup will corner flatter than an '04, '05, OR '06 because each year the rider's weight moved higher and higher. "

LazyBastard said:
wolfie said:
You might want to requalify how you think an 03 corners flatter than an 05......with the same suspension setup.

They don't have the same suspension, and the 05 corners like its on rails compared to the 03, so what is your point?
They have *exactly* the same suspension, except for how it is set up. The 05 is set up with different springs, swaybar, and links.

03 *could* corner flatter when set up the same because the rider sits lower on it, thus it has a lower COG, which makes it corner flat.

I hear what you're saying, but the 03 simply doesn't corner as well as the 05 because of the different spring rates, swaybar thickness, etc. The 05 also has an entirely different rear suspension which may very well have an impact on cornering, like if it uses more ride in travel than the 03 does. These are really silly arguments. And when it's proven that the 06 corners even better, these arguments will look even sillier. Stop dealing with theory and start dealing with real world.

Back