• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

APEX S/C and TURBO buyers guide...post it here.

87gtNOS

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
12 Apex XTX MCX powered
Hey guys, how about we create a list of available supercharger kits and turbo kits for the APEX sleds.
Also would be nice if we can post the +/- 's of having each of these kits.
Please keep it clean guys!! Everyone's kit has good and bad points!!

We have ......

CPR turbos
MPI
Powderlites
Bender

what else?

front mount vs rear mount???
gas tank mods?
Fuel requirements?
Thicker headgaskets needed?

MELTING parts like plastics??

This can be a very informative thread!!
Thanks guys.[/b]

Your wasting your time on getting any negitve information about any of the kits. I know of Melted parts, Broken headers, Burn Downs and lots of other bad press for these kits that has never been posted.

dirkdiggler said:
Your wasting your time on getting any negitve information about any of the kits. I know of Melted parts, Broken headers, Burn Downs and lots of other bad press for these kits that has never been posted.

This is the reason I don't have a kit yet....I see on snowest of a few that have blown up real good. Rods right out the bottom.
Now, I can't compare my 'flatlander' riding vs. the mountains...but I do have some long lakes I can cruise down for 10 minutes at 80+mph.

I agree I have only had my kit now for about a month and 1000 miles of riding on it but I get guys calling me saying its gonna blow and this that and the other. Then someone else will call and tell me how great they are. I'll find out for myself just like everything else. That being said my opinion of the MPI charger on my sled is that is was a true BOLT on setup the fuel box cluthing and go have fun. I have 1000 miles in it now at 5psi and I just switched to 7psi this week. During the pulley change I pulled the sled down to mostly remove the SC stuff to inspect everything. I did the install exactly as the instructions said to and everything seems to be holding up as expected. So far so good. No plastic burning no anything of the sort.

Thanks a7m266d

These are the posts I am looking for. 5psi on the Apex should be enough power to keep me ahead of the pack. Nice to hear of a true bolt-on.

I would also be interesting to hear some sales figures...how many kits each manufacturer have sold.

There is someone here in Ontario who has sold 7 kits and installed them too I think, and 3 have gone kaboom.
This someone, in all honesty, I am not sure who it is.

turbos

Hey you forgot about the mxc kit wich i have heard is the best rite now ... and probably the kit im going to go with. all turbo kits have there pros and cons but you cant judge them yet cause its only there first year by next year everyone will haev there bugs worked out of them.

Re: turbos

summitking said:
Hey you forgot about the mxc kit wich i have heard is the best rite now ... and probably the kit im going to go with. all turbo kits have there pros and cons but you cant judge them yet cause its only there first year by next year everyone will haev there bugs worked out of them.

I was told they nuked 4 motors during there testing for the apex. I hope they learned from there mistakes

87gtNOS said:
Thanks a7m266d

These are the posts I am looking for. 5psi on the Apex should be enough power to keep me ahead of the pack. Nice to hear of a true bolt-on.

I would also be interesting to hear some sales figures...how many kits each manufacturer have sold.

There is someone here in Ontario who has sold 7 kits and installed them too I think, and 3 have gone kaboom.
This someone, in all honesty, I am not sure who it is.

Im here in Ontario Just South of Barrie in Aurora. I have spent alot of time in the Haliburton area riding mine and a few days in the New Liskard area as well riding. We tortured it at 5psi in 4-5'of snow holding it on etc seeing what would happen again so far so good, but its only got 1000 boosted miles so far and I just stepped it up.

If you exceed the design parameters sometimes bad things happen to good people. The SC compressor rpm is directly related to engine rpm. If you overrev the engine through clutching and gearing it overrevs the compressor. If you overrev the compressor you create excessive heat. If you create excessive heat it will heat soak the intercooler. You will need the appropriate octane to keep your engine out of detonation in this condition. The intercooler will only dissipate so much heat for so long if you exceed its intended design parameters. If you want to run your SC hard for extended periods use the correct fuel, at the correct air fuel ratio, and make sure you understand the limitations of pump fuel in your set of conditions.

CPR does not have a turbo for an Apex YET. I would guess probably next year at this point in the season.

I have an MPI stage 1 on 10 lbs of boost with 3 head gaskets. I have 190 miles on it with no problems running on premium pump gas. Hopefully monday and tuesday I will get about 200 more miles on it. I am still dialing the A/F and clutching in but the sled runs awsome. The fuel control box is simple to use and understand.

the 2 apexs on sw that blew up where both from mistakes when putting the motor back together one was cam timing was out one tooth the other was a lost shim from under a lifter fell in a valve & things went down hill from there.most if not all probs i have heard have been bad gas not enough oct or mechanic error when putting motor back together.make sure you know what you are doin when you pull that motor apart its not a car motor & take your time.&lastly you just spent a pile of money now dont be cheap on fuel if you run big boost use race gas or av gas. :o| :o| :4STroke: :4STroke: ;)!

mcx

theres like 10 apexs i know of here with mcx turbos on them that have had no problems at all ... the one guy has like 2700 miles already. it all depends on who uts it in its so easy to screw up.

dirkdiggler said:
summitking said:

I was told they nuked 4 motors during there testing for the apex. I hope they learned from there mistakes

LOL, at least they did the testing themselves.

Unlike another turbo builder that built the kits and let there customers do the testing. Kaboom !!!! But we wont mention any names :die #$%&*

dirkdiggler said:

Did you hear it from MCX and Erik himself or is it just badmouthing?

so far with about 1300 km. on my powderlites no engine trouble. one of my riding buddy's running mcx has had no trouble either. both running 11-12 lbs. boost on 92 pump fuel. depends on riding style and ability as to which way to go. mine has no lag time so in tight trees the power turns on so fast it can be tricky to ride, but when i want to pick the skies up i can do it on demand. the mcx is a more managable power in the tight trees but not as fun for jumping an weeliing. so far all the bugs are ironed out and riding is good.

Back