• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex XTX Wheel Kit

whitedust1

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Apex XTX
Thinking about a wheel kit for my 2012 Apex XTX with stock single keel skis with aggressive snow trackers. I want to protect my skis and carbides from road wear and have been ducking into side snow when possible but I can be locked in at home in a warm spell if roads melt down which is rare but did happen last year. My concerns are I ride fast at triple digits on grades, start from home in powder on frozen lakes, have to ride plowed roads and unplowed bumpy FRs to groomed trails every ride. I don't want the wheel kit to come down unexpectedly at high speed or engage on bumpy trails or interfere with steering in powder. I don't know anything about ski wheel kits so tell me about my choices and what to look for in features of engagement an general use.
Thanks,
Pete

This is what you want. Got them on 3 vectors and 3 apex xtx never an issue. Built solid.

Available many places. Or direct here....

http://www.rouski.ca/en/
Do you feel the wheel kit weight in steering effort? I'm using aggressive snow trackers on stock single keel skis does this wheel kit clear the snowtrackers to the bare road?

do you know snowtrackers has a electro-hydraulic operated wheel set they sell you mount the switch on the bars and you can deploy them and retract them from your seat? they look pretty neat can see them on their website. Just seen them myself for the first time I was looking for the new aggressive for tuner 3 skis that they devloped at the end of last season. they mention them but no info on them yet. thought I would share the wheel kit with you.

you've got a 2012 Apex which has power steering so you shouldn't feel any difference in the weight

do you know snowtrackers has a electro-hydraulic operated wheel set they sell you mount the switch on the bars and you can deploy them and retract them from your seat? they look pretty neat can see them on their website. Just seen them myself for the first time I was looking for the new aggressive for tuner 3 skis that they devloped at the end of last season. they mention them but no info on them yet. thought I would share the wheel kit with you.
Yes I saw that but 6 hour install and lots of added weight to the skis. I want roller ski wheels easy to install and remove if I hate them. Still not sure I should do this yet?

I have never had them but at the cost of the carbides we run seems like money well spent. It never seems to fail when you go somewhere new you have to run a road to get to the trails and with the warmer winters there never seems to be enough snow on the road and the carbide that could last 2 seasons or more are junk after 1000 miles. it is on the top of my list for the next purchase for my sled. I have never hear anyone complain about negative effects off trail then again not that many people have them either so for what its worth I think you should give it a go.

I have never had them but at the cost of the carbides we run seems like money well spent. It never seems to fail when you go somewhere new you have to run a road to get to the trails and with the warmer winters there never seems to be enough snow on the road and the carbide that could last 2 seasons or more are junk after 1000 miles. it is on the top of my list for the next purchase for my sled. I have never hear anyone complain about negative effects off trail then again not that many people have them either so for what its worth I think you should give it a go.
Yeah 18mph on wheels seems really slow for me my zig zag patterns off roads to snow edges and a lot faster than 18mph. A ski wheel kit could be benefical on bare roads for sure and a no brainer for that condition but not really what happens in Phelps. My roads are mostly snow covered December thru early March but plows have been cutting snow pack more often in the last few years but always some snow . I'm not sure the ski wheels will stay down or kick up when there is snow on the road. If they kick up on first drift I hit useless to me. I was hoping more users would chime in on pros and cons & maybe they will?

With near 5,000 miles on snowtrackers I thought about wheels but they seem to last forever. I ride gravel roads and asphalt for miles sometimes, some winters worse then others. I would not worry about them going down on their own or any problem in powder. They work best on pavement or concrete but not so good on gravel.

The best I ever saw was a set that included a square pipe across the ski and a square pipe that fit inside that one with a wheel mounted on a flat bar on the end of it. Pin held it mounted either up or down by pulling it out and reinserting in a different position. You could take the inner tubes and wheel assembly's off and mount it in brackets on top of your clutch guard. Cheap effective with positive placement backing up going forward or riding in gravel with potholes, same as in the up position or remove and stored when not in use. Not as convenient but for the few extra seconds they where simpler and way less money. I was always going to build a set of those just because of the simplicity!

Back