• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Are you using the Napa gold 1358, or Wix 51358 filter?

Thatspec

Extreme
Website
www.cascadeskilodge.org
Before I go remove everything again. I was hoping someone here was actually using one of these oil filters. Already got the wrong part # once from a thread here and returned it for 1358. Am interested in hearing from anyone ACTUALLY USING the 1358. It still looks to me like it won't screw on far enough to seal.

Thanks thanks thanks, Mark

It's what I use. I use the napa gold 1358, but it's the same filter as the wix. Wix makes the napa gold line. Seals up just fine. No troubles in 2500 miles!

Thanks Red2003,
Do you find that it seems to come to hard stop while screwing it on, as opposed that slowly compressing the gasket feeling? I haven't actually screwed it on yet but had this problem with a different Napa filter.

Thanks, Mark

Thatspec said:
Thanks Red2003,
Do you find that it seems to come to hard stop while screwing it on, as opposed that slowly compressing the gasket feeling? I haven't actually screwed it on yet but had this problem with a different Napa filter.

Thanks, Mark

Nope, screws on just fine. No issues at all. But, if you're at all worried about it, just get the Yammi filter. Its not much of a savings in $$ anyhow. I use the Napa filters because I'm over an hour from the nearest Yammi dealer. It's for comvenience only. Yammi filters are great.

The filter that bottomed out before seating was NOT the 1358. It was another Napa filter that needs to remain nameless so no one else makes the same mistake. As we all know its quite a process just to get to the point in an oil change where its time to put the new filter on. I edited my first post to remove the offending part # so people like me that don't read thoroughly, don't make the same mistake.

My dealer is about an hour away as well but so is the closest Napa. Savings is about a six pack for two filters. Napa 1358 gold- $9.38, OEM- $11.95

Thanks everyone for the fast responses on this!

Mark

I use the Napa gold filter and have had great results. It went on fine and seemed to snug up like it should.

When changing oil filters be sure the gasket from the old filter is not stuck to the engine BEFORE putting the new filter on. A few people on this site reported they forgot to check this which resulted in dumping the oil while out on a ride thus causing considerable engine damage. I know of several people who have done that on cars. It is an easy mistake to make.

Also, when changing the oil and filter, remove the pickup connection at the bottom of the oil tank, only 2 socket head screws. There is a fine mesh screen that will collect a lot of junk restricting the oil flow especially whenthe oil is very cold. This fitting is sealed with a reusable rubber o-ring.

Two good tips Jim,
I looked at the screen last time and it was pretty clean, just a little fiber, and a few tiny metal particals. Was suprised because the similar screens on my dirt bike always have a bunch of junk on them but then the same oil lubes a clutch and tranny. I suspect that was the first time that screen had been looked at in 2300 miles too.

I find myself using a bit of oil lately despite running 6 oz. of Seafoam in the oil for a couple of hours before changing it the other day. Was using the 0W-30 Yamalube and switched to your basic Mobile 1 5W-30 (rarely goes below 27F here). If its going to use oil better to not be paying $6.50 a liter for it. Plus the Yamalube is not consistantly available. Since I had to put the old filter back on, I will try the Seafoam again for a bit longer before changing filter and oil this time. Not too optimistic, may even spring for the absurdly expensive ring free. My '03 is still under warranty until october, hmmm...

Back