• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Attention northern Ontario riders

Dooer700

Veteran
We are planning a trip to North Bay and plan to ride towards Cochrane and possibly Hearst. I've done this trip years ago with my other sleds but not my Nytro with the smaller fuel tank. Question is am I going to have issues making it from one fuel stop to another? I'm contemplating putting a trail tank on but would like to wait if possible. Thanks!

U will be fine I've done this trip many times with the stock tank just take advantage of fuel stops when u can. The longest stretch u would have is Hearst to hornpayne which u didn't mention.

Also check before you go in the elk lake area and butler lake, I'm pretty sure the yamaha dealer in elk lake and butler truck stop aren't selling gas this year. Maybe someone that has been through those areas this year can confirm. Other than that lots of gas stops along the way. If you go easy through those parts it shouldn't be a problem. Have fun that's an excellent ride.

I've been up that way....you'll be fine, just don't pass any gas station, but the new TSSA regulations are really hurting small gas stations (which is really going to hurt sledding), so who knows who has gas and who doesn't

I would carry a bottle of gas line anti freeze with you and put some in every second tank....you never know how old some of that gas is...

Thanks guys! It's been a long time since we did the run and I can't remember much about the fuel stops but I do remember it was the best riding I've ever done!

I am not suggesting anything you probably dont already know, but it doesnt hurt to pick up the phone to make sure some the fuel stops will be open during your trip.

Some small businesses in the North keep funny hours and missing a fuel stop up there is bad, especially with the 28l tank.

We were in the Sudbury area last year and I just made it to our planned fuel stop (and lunch destination) only to find the lodge decided to close that day - Nice.

We were lucky we found someone that opened the pump but otherwise the place was a ghost town. We still rode off hungry.

That was a wake up call riding in the north. I became tired showing up with 3 litres left in the tank. A wee bit too close.

I put a trail tank on this year and it is a game changer. I cant say enough about riding with that kind of range. Last weekend I rode from Collingwood to Port Elgin. Didnt have to stop for fuel. Drove across the whole Bruce Peninsual, no problem.

MS

Back