• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Back to the dealer.................AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

This sounds good but I'm having a hard time believing it. I sure hope it is true!

BLUEBALLER said:
Surprisingly I didn't have to do too much. I mentioned it to the dealer when they were fixing my starter and he said he'd inquire. A week later I find out he's got 4 on order and my name's on one of them!!!

I don't know if there is an official recall or not, but if you reside in Canada, I'd be calling your dealer asap to find out as much as you can.

As far as the handwarmers go - they (Yamaha) are recommending to bypass the ECU altogether and wire the factory grips off the headlight relay. The grips are fine (heat output wise) and the ECU seems to be the culprit. They ARE NOT covering this under warranty, and seeing as I butchered mine up with the aftermarket hotgrips, I didn't pursue it much further. Talk to your dealer and they should be able to help solve your handwarmer issues.

Some feedback on the wet boot deflector - it passed the test with flying colors. mind you there probably wasn't much heat in that area last weekend at -50C lol, but my bibs were DRY!!! so far I'm happy.

If you have an 08 nytro and your front end is tweaked, take it in and get a reinforced 09 clip!!!!

According to Turk they are giving them away for FREE to all us friendly Canadians. Not too sure about you whiney buggers to the south though.
:tg:

Good luck
Blueballer, Since you already know where the wiring is how much of a task do you think it would be to bypass the ECU for the hand warmers? And we're not whiney. Remember the squeaking wheel gets the oil(ha ha) :moon:

My opinion regarding the 08 front clip...

If the warranty on this is true...??
Yamaha might be waiting for all the 1 year warranties to expire.
Then they have less 08's to worry about.

I will believe it when I see it.
If it is true maybe I'll keep my 08 for my wife.

I have 2 dealers now that seem lazy or so called "too busy" to really look into it.

mach9 said:
My opinion regarding the 08 front clip...

If the warranty on this is true...??
Yamaha might be waiting for all the 1 year warranties to expire.
Then they have less 08's to worry about.

I will believe it when I see it.
If it is true maybe I'll keep my 08 for my wife.

I have 2 dealers now that seem lazy or so called "too busy" to really look into it.
I agree 100%. Once the warranty is up your on your own. I extended mine just for this reason

I agree 100%. Once the warranty is up your on your own. I extended mine just for this reason

It's a total corporate numbers game for Yamaha's bottom line.
They get $$ both ways.
A pile of 08's off the books, plus they have another bunch add expensive warranty that may or may not be used.

1050THMPR said:
BLUEBALLER said:
Surprisingly I didn't have to do too much. I mentioned it to the dealer when they were fixing my starter and he said he'd inquire. A week later I find out he's got 4 on order and my name's on one of them!!!

I don't know if there is an official recall or not, but if you reside in Canada, I'd be calling your dealer asap to find out as much as you can.

As far as the handwarmers go - they (Yamaha) are recommending to bypass the ECU altogether and wire the factory grips off the headlight relay. The grips are fine (heat output wise) and the ECU seems to be the culprit. They ARE NOT covering this under warranty, and seeing as I butchered mine up with the aftermarket hotgrips, I didn't pursue it much further. Talk to your dealer and they should be able to help solve your handwarmer issues.

Some feedback on the wet boot deflector - it passed the test with flying colors. mind you there probably wasn't much heat in that area last weekend at -50C lol, but my bibs were DRY!!! so far I'm happy.

If you have an 08 nytro and your front end is tweaked, take it in and get a reinforced 09 clip!!!!

According to Turk they are giving them away for FREE to all us friendly Canadians. Not too sure about you whiney buggers to the south though.

Good luck
Blueballer, Since you already know where the wiring is how much of a task do you think it would be to bypass the ECU for the hand warmers? And we're not whiney. Remember the squeaking wheel gets the oil(ha ha) :moon:

Just spoke with my dealer, Yamaha has not issued a fix for the hand warmers?? They don't think buy passing the ecu is a good idea. Hey BLUEBALLER can you shed some light on the subject.
Thanks

Bamboo said:
1050THMPR said:
BLUEBALLER said:

Good luck

Just spoke with my dealer, Yamaha has not issued a fix for the hand warmers?? They don't think buy passing the ecu is a good idea. Hey BLUEBALLER can you shed some light on the subject.
Thanks

Well I just spoke with my dealer, and he thought the ECU bypass suggestion was a valid idea being the headlight uses a constant amount of power. He's going to contact his Yamaha TM and get back to me. One thing's for sure, it would sure be nice to have a general consensus on this issue with ALL Yamaha dealers instead of the usual "he said - she said" routine.... :o|

My dealer was at the yamaha "tech school" where they discussed a bunch of ideas/concerns on all sleds.

Some topics addressed were the front clip, handwarmers, starter clutchs(upgraded from 3 bolts to 6), magneto output(possible upgrade from the new venture - no go, too big), etc. etc.

I wasn't there, so I don't know what they all said.

All I know is I'm getting the front clip replaced on my sled. The clip is in, but I'm waiting till after the holidays to get in installed. 100% covered.

The handwarmers were discussed and they suggested to wire it off the headlight relay and bypass the ECU altogether. They talked about having to wire in a switch or variac to vary the voltage and obviously you'd have to install a resistor in the stock harness to prevent the "error" code.

I don't think this is an official update/solution, but rather the service techs were just brainstorming some ideas. Kind of what we do here.

yamaha is not doing anything in that regard.

I don't know what to say regarding the front clip. I'm getting mine done. Turk mentioned it was Canada wide, not me. If it's not true take it up with him. lol

keep hounding your dealers, this can't be a Manitoba only thing. Or better yet, call yamaha canada, see if they have an answer for you.

Blueballer,
What was wrong with your front end that warranted replacement of the front clip? I'm just trying to piece together why some guys are getting theirs' replaced while other guys cannot?

In the '09 Yamaha dealer literature, they mention how a dealer is to inspect a front clip and what to look for. There was no cut and dried checklist as to what got warranted and what didn't.

The whole thing rubs me the wrong way as we've seen guys complaining since early last season about skis being out of alignment..

I am in the US. On mine the left ski was pushed back almost 1". No signs of damage at all. First dealer I took it to said it was only 1/4" back and that was normal as all the sleds in their showroom were off that amount, so they did the lower ball joints and thats it. When I got it back a measured it and found out how bad it really was so I took it to another dealer and they came up with the same measurements as me so they took it to Yamaha. In the end I am happy, I get my sled back today after being gone for well over a month between the two trips to the dealers....................

just talked to local yammi dealer he told me to quit reading on the internet and that hes never heard anything like this says he has 60 units out without problems, calls it bs,
i own a 08 im concerned, do you really have to jump them to break

ditchpig said:
just talked to local yammi dealer he told me to quit reading on the internet and that hes never heard anything like this says he has 60 units out without problems, calls it bs,
i own a 08 im concerned, do you really have to jump them to break

no you don't just ,my 08 bent yesterday going a eye watering 4 or 5 mph.

AKrider said:
Blueballer,
What was wrong with your front end that warranted replacement of the front clip? I'm just trying to piece together why some guys are getting theirs' replaced while other guys cannot?

In the '09 Yamaha dealer literature, they mention how a dealer is to inspect a front clip and what to look for. There was no cut and dried checklist as to what got warranted and what didn't.

The whole thing rubs me the wrong way as we've seen guys complaining since early last season about skis being out of alignment..

I replaced a-arm bushings with oilites, & had the updated balljoints installed. Shocks still weren't centered in the a-arms. I mentioned it to my dealer and he said he'd inquire. A week later, he tells me DONE DEAL, I'm getting a new clip.

Not sure what's left to say.

Ditchpig - if your dealers name starts with a "T", then look for a different dealer. My personal advice. PM me if you want more details.

Siscakidd - I stated this last year. It's not a matter of "if" the 08's will bend, but rather "when". Welcome to the club.........now I can call you my BFC brother. (bent front clip) lol

Hope it works out for you - bro.

Wow, that's awesome. Mine is exactly the same. I couldn't remember if the shocks were centered in the a-arms when the sled was new. They certianly aren't right now.

Back