• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bad grinding/crunching sound

Some pictures;

NorthBattleford2-20110308-00111.jpg

NorthBattleford2-20110308-00110.jpg

NorthBattleford2-20110308-00105.jpg

NorthBattleford2-20110308-00106.jpg

NorthBattleford2-20110308-00108.jpg

I don't want to hijack thread, but could someone point out the chaincase drainplug to me? I want to chang oil in 07 attak, and just don't see it, also don't see it in these pictures?

I lost my oil through a wrinkled gasket and it does get washed away while riding. There were no drips in the garage and no residual oil that would indicate a leak. As for the gears, mine were baked dry twice before I found the problem and had chain teeth marks in them but they did not turn blue. I replaced the chain and the upper 18T because I had a spare but the reverse and lower gears were going to cost as much as an entire used chain case so I put them back in and no issues after 200 miles. You might find the top gear at Royal but the lowers will likely be dealer only. Send Doc 4 stroke a note, he had a used set for sale.

1. Sleddog66 - If you look at the third picture, the drain hole is right at the bottom behind that pile of gunk. You access the plug by reaching under the sled along the frame directly behind the chaincase. There is a small (10 or 12mm I think) bolt there that is the drain plug. It should be right about where the track goes by.

2. YammyRX1 - thats good to know. I wasn't sure if the oil would disappear or what.

Yeah the prices are not good. My local shop quote was $666 for a gear, sprocket, chain and the rest were bearings. Just parts.

I sent doc a pm yesterday. Haven't heard back but LANEO has a good set with great prices as usual. I've dealt with him before and he's been great. The only downside is that shipping accross the line has been slow at times and the snow is great right now.

I honestly think I could reinstall everything as is, lube 'er up and it would all be good. But while I'm in there anyway I'll change the parts and bearings to be on the safe side. I'll definitely be checking that dipstick more often now though.

sleddog66 said:
I don't want to hijack thread, but could someone point out the chaincase drainplug to me? I want to chang oil in 07 attak, and just don't see it, also don't see it in these pictures?
What he is showing there in pics is just the cover,the plug is on the bottom of the inside chainecase,next to the track,lay down and put your hand underneith the case and you will feel it.

wildbonz said:
Some pictures;

NorthBattleford2-20110308-00111.jpg

NorthBattleford2-20110308-00110.jpg

NorthBattleford2-20110308-00105.jpg

NorthBattleford2-20110308-00106.jpg

NorthBattleford2-20110308-00108.jpg
Two areas of concern,1 is on the case,you have a plate that is attached to the short shaft that moves slightly,it is the small shaft that holds a small bolt thru the cover,if that plate has a sharp edge where the chain rides,it will,over time wear,small slivers off your chain,and cause the slivers to cut into rubber seal,and cause leaking,and just plain damage to everything in there. Its hard to see but,if this is an 06 year sled,that was the year they had cover problems,not all of the covers cast,had enough room for the gasket to seat properly,and sometimes they would bunch up,and leak,or just not cover properly,take a good look there. good luck.

this same this happened to me 2 winters ago in my RTX... i ran AMSOIL series 2000 chain oil and my cover gasket at the very bottom was weeping just slightly... once it started to get nice and hot in there, (90-100mph long runs) the oil just plan cooked itself... it got so bad that my chain links actually welded themselves together... toasted reverse gears, chain, all bearings. Now... the gears are pretty robust.. they can take alot, but bottom gear has internal pin bearings... they got cooked. as well as pin's in the small reverse gear. I bought the gear bearings from dealer and reminder of parts from royal distributing. they have the proper chains, and "chain case rebuilt kits"... i managed to have it all done for under $300. when i reasembled my cover gasket i coated it with a thin layer of RTV gasket compound. Till this day, no more weeping. the only thing is i had to make some special tools for the press too intall/remove pin bearings in gears... other than that the job took about 2 hrs(with beer)..

Good luck!

Thanks sherlock29, did you put the gasket compound on the inside or outside of the rubber gasket, or both?

The 2 hour job with beer sounds good right now.

In my case, the gasket was folded just above the fill line behind the gears and it did not leak when parked. When I rode the oil got thrown right at the spot where the gasket leaked and it drained every last drop. I don't think sealer is needed if the gasket is put on properly and the screws are torqued right, but it might be one more level of protection. Just be careful that there's no squeeze-out into the chain case.

Thanks sherlock29, did you put the gasket compound on the inside or outside of the rubber gasket, or both?

The 2 hour job with beer sounds good right now

I put a thin layer on both sides (inside the "cup" of the gasket as well as the outside). Just extra protection from leaking... ya once you have all the parts its really not that bad.

and yes.... cold ones :-o necessary

Looks like I found the culprit, and looks like mnmsnowbeast is the winner!
Got a chance to look it all over a bit more closely today, and since you TY guys gave me the places to look I found this;

The rubber seal was damaged just like mnmsnowbeast predicted.

Battleford-20110309-00119.jpg

And here is a better look at the gears I'll be replacing. You can see the teeth marks in the one and the bends and shearing on the reverse gear that had been grinding a bit. The rest were still in great shape.

Battleford-20110309-00116.jpg

I hope that was the only problem in there. At least there is a reasonable explanation now. Just waiting on parts.

Thanks again everyone!

wildbonz said:
Looks like I found the culprit, and looks like mnmsnowbeast is the winner!
Got a chance to look it all over a bit more closely today, and since you TY guys gave me the places to look I found this;

The rubber seal was damaged just like mnmsnowbeast predicted.

Battleford-20110309-00119.jpg

And here is a better look at the gears I'll be replacing. You can see the teeth marks in the one and the bends and shearing on the reverse gear that had been grinding a bit. The rest were still in great shape.

Battleford-20110309-00116.jpg

I hope that was the only problem in there. At least there is a reasonable explanation now. Just waiting on parts.

Thanks again everyone!
Wow,now that gasket really looks bad,man i am glad i could help,this is all stuff that has happened to my boys 06 rtx and my buds 06 gt and my 06 attak,this is what we were just looking for,when we did my track swap last thursday,hope all goes back togeather well,and yes sometimes alittle beer cant hurt lol... ;)!

Back