• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent spindles AGAIN! Has anyone came up with a fix?

Frostbite

TY 4 Stroke God
I have my sled up on the stand again and can see not one, but both spindles are bent, again.

I guess that's the price you pay for boondocking in marginal snow conditions?

I will once again take them off and straighten them with my arbor press. I know each time I bend them back they essentially become weaker.

Yamah a apparently got the message that they had designed too much unsupported area in their original design in 03. Yamaha updated the spindle design (actually I'm refering to the aluminum housing for the spindles) but without making wholesale change of the front end components to the new design, I understand you can't use them with the 03 and 04 setup.

It seems there needs to be a one piece steel sleeve inside the aluminum housing instead of two independent steel sleeves (one at the top and one at the bottom).

I know I could go to aftermarket spindles but I thought they were all aluninum as well? It seems they need to be made of titanium or at least chrome moly steel but the cost would be prohibative.

Has anyone come up with a long term fix for the original design spindles?

Frosty

Frosty, can you post a pic?
I have an '03 but have never experienced this. Some of my A-arm bolts were tweaked and the saddles on my Simmons skis seem to bend downwards but....never actually looked at my spindles.

Frostbite said:
I have my sled up on the stand again and can see not one, but both spindles are bent, again.

I guess that's the price you pay for boondocking in marginal snow conditions?

Frosty

That's what you get for not calling me before going riding. LaLaLa

J.

Then what would I use? You should purchase a new set from Yami or get a lightweight set. Otherwise your spindles are going to give out one of these days which would make for a pretty bad day.

J.

Anyone size up the front end on the new phazer's looks like this setup may be an option if it proves out.I took some rough measurements and the a-arms look like the will bolt right in place,will be interested in seeing if this could ending up to be a mod for the rx's.... :jack: Not ment to hyjack

They seem soft but I rode down after a good collision with a tree at Boulder and the spindle got me home! I have changed out a few for other guys though, it doesn't take much to bend the spindle and the knuckle!

Attachments

• revy 06 052.jpg
    revy 06 052.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 90
I bent both of mine back with my arbor press again today. They look fine but I'm sure they are softening up with each time.

I do have pictures but mine don't look nearly as bad as the one posted above.

Frosty

I bent mine the first week of riding when my 03 was new, I modified some a-arms from a arctic cat 1M and bolted on AC spindles. they worked great, I used them for a couple of years before I found some used housings to replace mine.

At haydays a couple off years ago, Micro Belmont had some billet ones that they were producing, I think they were about $500.

I wonder if you could bore out the originals and sleeve them with a steel or some type of material.

I agree, not yamahas best design.

GD spindles :o| If any of you have parts for a 04 RX1 Mountain such as:

1. Primary clutch
2. Spindle (left side)
3. tie-rod (left side)
4. Side panel (left side)

Any parts that relate to the left side I need (except A-arms)

Thx

Try Microbelmont.

Micro Belmont Inc.
5390 Clay Ave. SW
Grand Rapids MI 49548
616-534-9681
616-532-2337

Sorry couldn't find the website.

Back