• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best baclavas for cold chin

honda400ex2

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper XTX
Hi,

I have a standard closed face helmet that as the temps are in the 0 to -15F I am having problems with a cold chin and even ice freezing to my current baclava that is on the thin side.

Seems like the helmet could go a little lower to protect more from the wind. But any thoughts on a warmer baclava that would help with this problem and a little warmer on the neck area also.

Been reading thru this site and there are so many different thoughts on this. Klim Arctic seems to come up a lot, but it looks like the nose mouth area wind can get in from the bottom.

What would be a warm baclava that covers the nose and mouth better but also works well with a closed face helmet?

Thanks

The Klim Arctic works well but it's really designed more for the MX style helmets....there used to be some called the "SuperClava" but I don't know if they are still in business....I think maybe Dennis Kirk handled them back in the day....extra thick fleece bottom with normal head sock....might try their website

when it is cold out, i run a gears belaclava i got at royal distributing here in town. they also used to make a head skirt that my brother uses that covered from the chin down to help with the cold neck. i have klim ones that i use on -15-20 c days that are not too bad but as i wear glasses in my helmet, the gears one works better for me in the cold. on a warm day i just use an old choko cotton one that my old dealer used to sell. wish he could get them with his logo now as they where awsome for advertizing.

The Klim Arctic works well but it's really designed more for the MX style helmets....there used to be some called the "SuperClava" but I don't know if they are still in business....I think maybe Dennis Kirk handled them back in the day....extra thick fleece bottom with normal head sock....might try their website
That sounds like a turtle fur. I just bought 3 new ones to try and like them all, and I already have the one with thin head sock with thick fleece neck sock

That sounds like a turtle fur. I just bought 3 new ones to try and like them all, and I already have the one with thin head sock with thick fleece neck sock

Thanks for all the replies.
Rtbo, I was looking at the turtle fur website, which one do you have? Does it pull down far enough on the neck to be under your jacket? Looks like they would be warm.

I have been using the Klim Arctic for a few years now. It is hands down the best cold weather clava for MX style helmets. A few guys in our group do use them with their full face and modular helmets, but you may need to remove the breath box or adjust it.

That being said, that hole looks huge, but there is a purpose. Your breath will keep that area warm, wind coming in is not an issue. There is a chin guard under there, so exposed skin is at a minimum.

The only real issue I have is when it does get warmer, your breath will soak that breath box, and we all know what wet and cold does. It freezes and turns into a brick with one snot sickle forming at the leading edge. It's still warmer than any other I have tried. But I did go out and buy the Klim Covert to leave in my sled, for warmer days, or when it gets too soaked as I have over dressed.

The weather in MN in March changes throughout the day/night. So spares of different weights are always carried. Just last night we started well above zero and by the time the sun went down, I needed to swap gloves as it was dropping well below the donut

Good luck

Thanks for all the replies.
Rtbo, I was looking at the turtle fur website, which one do you have? Does it pull down far enough on the neck to be under your jacket? Looks like they would be warm.
My go to is the half pipe neck warmer lined with micro fur. I don’t like the ones that go over my head and that’s perfect 90% of the time. When it does get colder I get some wind in my helmet and my ears get cold so I go to a thick turtle fur fleece bottom that has the thin head sock attached, it’s not on their website so I don’t know the name. I also have the pipe dream alpha tek lined performance neck warmer but I thought it was a little too long and bunched up around the neck, but I didn’t mess with it too long. And I have the moisture eliminating wind proof mask but haven’t tried it yet, that one might be too short. I like the thicker bottom on the turtle furs cause it blocks the wind better from coming up in my helmet and also my chin always sticks out the bottom of my helmet on every brand it seems (must have a odd shaped head). I’m going to buy a helmet skirt that can Velcro on the bottom of your helmet for the coldest of days next year.

DSC04361.JPG DSC04366.JPGThis worked for my application. I took a thin piece of leather that I cut from a 10 dollar garment that I get from the Salvation Army thrift store and sewed it on to the balaclava. No more cold chin and no more wet balaclava where the nose cone overlaps.

Thanks for all the great ideas, there are a lot of different options to try. I will have to pick one and see how it works for me.

Back