• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

best mods for powder

rx1dog

I have a 03 rx1 mountain 151 track w 2" lugs and want to set it up to run well in deep powder. It has simons skis , wider A arms, Hyper fax, buttons on trac. What are the best mods or adjustment for the money for deep snow and hill climbs. I heard to remove sway bars is that a good idea. thanks for the imput.

:yam:

The sway bar can be unhooked on one end so you can see the difference but yes if you are using it for powder only you might want to take out the sway bar.
You could use a 05 RX-1 Mountain throttle cable and at least a 2" (probably 3") bar riser and some handle balls or bar end hooks.

How's the clutching? Have you ridden it in powder yet? What kind of RPMs are you turning while climbing?

How's the weight transfer? You may want to consider the Mountain Performance transfer enhancement kit.

Frostbite

Frosty, I can't believe you just told him to get the MPI kit when you know the angle of attack will still be horrible!!!! Get a new skid first. Either newer yamaha, m7, or holz and you will be in business. Then get the 05' clutching, taller bars, lefty throttle, single exhaust, and new high seat.

Start with the skid and go from there.

Rt

Thank you both. I have ridden it in the powder twice the first time was miserable the sled was set up for a 300 pounder and I am only 185. The sled actted like a submarine and got stuck all the time. I loosened the front and rear preloads and adjusted the transfer rod all the way out. now it is alot better but still sucks compaired to a rmk or even a rockie mountain king my buddy has.Where is a good place to buy a holtz skid and is this the part the hyfax conects to this is my first sled Im still a rookie. It looks like stripping it would be a good optoin batterey air box tool kit etc. What is this tranfer kit you were talking about? do you use that if you buy a new skid? I have a lefty throtle on the way.

The transfer kit is $50 from MPI and helps the stock skid. It is not as good as a new skid, but is an improvement over stock. The price is tough to beat too.

Replacing the skid is the next step up in performance - a Holz skid runs around $1300 retail. A bunch of guys on here have had good results installing a rear skid off of an M7. Not sure on exact prices but some guys have said they found them for around $400.

If you decide to do the new skid, think about a longer and/or wider track as well. The increased floatation helps offset the heavier sled. Case in point = 2006 Apex Mtn.

Definetly get the 2" handlebar risers, and look around for a taller seat too.

Other things on the 03: Make sure that the float bowl update was installed, this helps keep the motor from cutting out on steep hills. Install a carb coolant shut off valve as well, at high elevations on warm days fuel tends to boil in the carbs. Holtzman carb springs are a cheap upgrade that help throttle response and may give you a few more rpms up top, depending on what elevation you ride at.

thanks tmk50
I think I will try the transfer kit first to get me trough the season. I also want to do the handle bar risor do I need a throtle cable for this and is 2" enough? I have heard guys talking about 4" I ride at 5000 and above in central oregon

2" will work with stock cables. You may want to go higher if you are a tall guy.

At your elevation you may not notice the carb springs working as much as I did (I ride 9000 - 11000 usually). At higher elevations the vaccuum assist has a harder time opening the slides all the way with the stock carb springs. May not be worth the $35 bucks - unless you decide to ditch the air box and run filters (not worth it IMO - money is better spent on suspension, chassis, tracks, and skis for mountain RX1s)

You can install the MPI transfer kit,or you can do my suspension mod for free,I can get you a 6 inch longer cable and you can go as high as 5 " riser without any other mods.A 2' riser is all you can put with the stock throttle cable and even then you will activate the TORS.

M7 153 Skid - 400 Dollars
Used 162" - 200 Dollars
05 Skis - 200 Dollars
Riser - 50 Dollars
Exhaust - 500 Dollars

Mountain machine right there.

I went to mpi website and looked at the trasfer kit. there is also a rod kit for $129 are both mods the way to go or just the $49 staps. Could not find a skid on the holtz site but mpi has one.

The $50 kit is the one we are talking about - it removes the rods.

The $129 kit allows for easier adjustment of the rods no real benefit for mountain riders.

Im having the M7 skid installed right now with a 162" Attack 20. This will lighten it by a good 30 pounds. I think after that the exhaust and 05 skis and its a really good powder sled.

SoCoRX1 said:
M7 153 Skid - 400 Dollars
Used 162" - 200 Dollars
05 Skis - 200 Dollars
Riser - 50 Dollars
Exhaust - 500 Dollars

Mountain machine right there.

You can drop $420 off the exhaust and just do a single glass pack. Works great, nice sound.

Rt

Back