• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Break-in impressions of 2009 Yamaha RS Venture GT

Good explanation T.J.! ;)!

I'll be tweaking after 500 miles.

I rode a few miles today and really listened for any unusual helmet splitting track howl sounds.

At 30 - 35 mph I can hear the motor and drive train humm due to the sled being very quiet IMO. This to me is a normal operation sound.

I went through ranges up to 65 mph and could not hear anything close to the harmonic resonnance / track howl problem the earlier RS Ventures, in my case 2005, had.

Before I put the larger Kimpex wheels on the 2005 RS Venture, the track howl I experienced on the 2005 was so irratating and harsh that it would give me splitting a head-ache. The larger wheels significantly reduced the harmonics.

This sled is much quieter / smoother and doesn't sound anything like the older RS Models.

Hope this helps! ;)!

The Idea of reducing spring presure on front ski shocks and the center track shocks are right on: Except the specs say those shock springs are already set at "softest position" according to the owners manual. I've already turned my front ski shocks 2 turns softer that stock with good results. MM turned his down 5 turns. I'm going to turn down center track spring 1 turn and see what results. Thid should reduce center track pressure slightly which will transfer some weight to the front skis and also soften front of rear suspension. I'll report results. I don't want to shorten limiter because that should stiffen ride. I think this sled needs to be softened up all around for a good one up sled with a normal weight rider 175-200lb. Let me know what you think. Thanks, George

Hondo, How did you set up your skis? Toed out per Yamy spec ? Or something esle specified by Curve. What wearbars are you running? And are you studded and how many? Thanks, George I'm Runing Slydog Powderhounds with 8 inch Berstrom triplepoints and skisavers. I'm studded with 114 up the middle. Still tinkering with suspension. George

09 GT Darting

I've change the GT stock ski's to the TF wider ski's before taking the machine from the dealer. Now i have 600 klm and it darts so bad its
crazy. My old 06 with the same ski was never this bad i was thinking
of putting on a double runner/carbide what do you think or should i try
a completely differant ski with a single runner ? Other than that its a
super nice machine. ;)!

Bill

hondo said:
.....I'll be tweaking after 500 miles......

Hey, you've had it almost a month......didn't you omit a "0" (zero)?

:jump:

Hi George,

My Curves have Studboy 6.0" Shaper Bars per Curve recommendations.

The skis are toed out per stock recommendations.

Not running any studs.

We are forecast for 8"-12" of snow tonight. ;)!

Buddah2, LOL...

Its been pretty rough up here. Trails have been icy with no lubrication. :o|

Generally I can get going after Christmas and New Years. ;)!

I'll be out after this snowfall for sure. :Rockon:

Nice sled, Hondo. Bet you can't wait to get the curves on, eh?
I love them on the apex.

True Blue
I put C &A s and 6 " shapers on my 09 and the darting is gone completly
But Ive heard good things about the curves also , I softened up the front end and the back end and it handles great , Whe I got it from Yamaha it was way off , WE just got a fresh snowfall and cold weather and alot of trails are opened , I am going to pack on some miles this weekend :jump:
MM

Thanks Sumpbuster,

The Curves with Studboy 6" Shaper bars have been on for past 100 miles. Absolutely love these skis.

Curves.jpg

VentureGTwithCurves.jpg

VentureGTandCurves.jpg

Last night it snowed 13.5" so I got to play in dry fluffy powder.

I had a ball.

The machine is very nimble.

The Curves provide excellent floatation.

I'm beginning to really like how high you sit on the machine.

The windshield is superb. ;)!

Yes, Overall this is a great sled! Where is there room for improvement? Noisy ride just like. but not quite as bad as Apex. Needs to be much quieter. Adjustability information? Setup instructiuons for one up versus 2 up riding? A little top heavy? Gauges need to be higher so short riders can see them! Could It use more power? Yes. anyone else see where it could be improved?

I took my 09 venture GT out for its first good ride today about 170 miles, very nice ride, I would like to soften the rear suspension and work with the front to make it less tippy, I put the yamaha mt skis with dually carbides on before the ride and they seemed to work well esp in the deep stuff I am not sure how the stock skis will work in the trails but it did not grab as well as my apex rtx in the twisties. Overall this sled is the best sled I have owned. Gas usage was the same as my apex today and much better than my cousins skidoo TNT, last fill the venture used 16 dollers and the TNT used 22 plus oil!

Whew,

I finally got to 500 miles today. The oil and filter will be changed tomorrow.

The display starts counting how many miles the machine has traveled while informing the rider an oil change is due. A very nice feature.

I'll be using Yamalube 0W-40 Full Synthetic for the next 3,000 and subsequent miles.

A feature I like better is the low fuel light feature. The display starts counting the number of miles traveled since the low fuel light came on.

I traveled an additional 1 mile to the pre-planned fuel stop. I took exactly 7 gallons of fuel to the filler neck. This tells me that there was approximately 2.4 gallons of fuel remaining in the tank when the fuel low light came on.

This will be very helpful with fuel management planning.

Now I need to see what kind of mileage the machine will be getting in normal operating conditions.

Hope this helps! ;)!

Hondo, what did you do to get more life out of you sliders? SLP buttons, scratchers, wheel kit, track clips???????????

Thanks in advance!
DSC00843a.jpg

Back