• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Brrrr! What's the lowest....

pc360

So the question today kids, What's the lowest temperature you sucessfully started your 4-stroke at?

In English please, none of that Celsius drivel...some of us down here in the States only have the benifit of our famous publik skool edukashun sistim, and you all nows how dat werks.

Few years back, my personal best, on the morning of the start of the '07(?) Iron Dog it was -35°F at our place here in Big Lake, AK. The three '05 Vector MT's fired right up...the '05 Apex with a week battery required assistance and colorful language.

Also include any details you feel pertinent...type of oil (weight, brand, synthetic or not), A Yami? or other? and most importantly the exact phraseology of the colorful language employed...keep it clean!

A pack of Apex's and Nytros all at -40c. they didnt like it, but started. Havent been able to try my Phazer at those temps this year but would like to try with the cold start ECU and Napa Glass Matt battery.

All of us run full synthetic, whether it be Shell or Yamalube. Come to think of it all of us run the Napa battery also.

To translate Mike's post to you PC360: -40C and -40F are the same.

There is your little fact of the day. I think it is the only temp that is the same on both scales.

TC = (5/9)X(TF-32)

Tanks and your right biffdotorg... -40°F = -40°C

Started 3 06 Apex Gts at -40 in Alma QC in 2008.

-40 is COLD after dark. I had 2 guys quit the trip and get their rig brought to them in L'Etape - from Shawinigan.

Started my 07 Attak Gt, 06 Vector GT, and 07 Apex GT at ~-25C (-13F) 1 week ago in La Tuque QC. 0w-40 Mobile 1 synthetic. No problem, longer warmup - don't touch the flipper til the light's off.

FYI...I started this because I am tad tired hearing " 4-strokes have starting issues when it cold...Blah, blah, blah...".

So let's hear it kids...

Started my Viking at -35f at Skwentna/Shell lake a few weeks ago. Using Yamalube.

David

I have been able to start it at -29c, that's the coldest I have ever tried. It feels like it could have gone colder as long as the relay's don't freeze. I did need to warm the fuel pump relay but it started!

I was also able to pull start my phazer at -23c. I just wanted to see if I could do it when it was cold!

the 08's started at -36 fahrenheit which is 38 derees celcius 2 years ago. our 2010 phazer, and 2010 vectors have only been asked to start at -18 fahrenheight which is 28 degrees celcius. all 5 sleds run yamalube full synthetic, with yamaha filters, and yausa (however its spelt) stock, original batteries.

-39C 09 Nytro XTX started but felt like it didn't want to. Did go for a ride that night with a buddy. Trails were like glass we over heated many times before heading back. That was the last time I have left the cabin at that kind of temps.

2 06 Attaks and 1 07 Rage. All 3 started at -32f. The next day at -40f none of them would start. Turned over but not enough spin. All running Mobil 1 synthetic.

Started my 03 RX1 after sitting for 2 weeks at between -25F and -30F. It was about -24F and nothing. Then I noticed the kill switch down. After pulling it up, the sled cranked slower than usual, but fired up quick and warmed up slow. :brrr:

Brothers warrior -40... my attak -35 cranked without issue... last year with stock battery still slow crank but still started.. new battery this year.

Back