• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BTX SE on trail manners?

dfroster

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 Arctic Cat Thundercat EPS
Thinking about a BTX SE (or LE with track swap to 1.75”) to ride on and off trail in N. Wisconsin and U.P. But looking for detailed on trail performance feedback: acceleration, handling, ride quality, etc. Thanks.

I have a BTX LE and the sled have very great trail manners. The shock package on the LE is very good with the 3-way damping adjustment. Off trail, the 40 inch wide is not perfect but manageable. For my liking, I went with the 36 inch MTX setup since I do more off trail riding. I suggest you go with the LE for the shock package. Don’t waste your money on a 1.75 track, just cut the 2.25 to 1.75 and you will be fine. Even the 2.25 is still very good on the trail, it depends on the amount of snow you get. Here, we have a lot of snow so 2.25 is great. Last weekend, there was 12 inch of snow in the trail so I was glad to have a 2.25 track...

I have a 18' Yamaha sidewinder B-tx SE! I come from a 16' Skidoo Freeride 154"!

I ride northern / Western Maine and Canada.

Let me start by saying I love this machine but it's another animal... I believe I can do lots of back country like before, but I will admit it won't do the extreme stuff I could do on a Freeride. with that said I was looking for something that I could be just as happy on trail as off... I love ..... let's Put that another way.... I freakin can't even explain the feeling you get from this thing!

I've had to settle for the lower grade FOX Float 3's but they will suffice... I will say I have been workin on adjustments for 3 rides now but every ride gets better... if I had some gripes it would be I wish the front was adjustable from 36-40" I mean come on all this tech and we can't have 4" of adjustability..... I also wish I could have chosen a shock upgrade at discount but I had to deal with what I was dealt! Also the rear tunnel/tail could use better design!

Handling:

On trail, set to skinny on the skis and swaybar connected! With a lot of adjusting I've went from ultra harsh ride to acceptable ... the sled rips, its instant pull, and endless yank leave smiles for days... this engine greatly benefits from a longer track... it helps balance its weight and it really helps all that horsepower get hooked up... my sled may have lost some MPH's but let's be honest I bet most of us will never get tired of the "UN-GODLY" pull this thing has... I have been able to chase my buddies on 850 Mxz's and renegades and once you get suspension set-up properly you will be amazed at the trail manners... I believe this is the ultimate trail sled... I understand it may take more effort to ride fast in the twisty s but that's what makes it fun! And longer tracks ride great on trails... the 1.75" track I have is stout... it doesn't fold the lugs and it is very happy and "quiet" on the trail.... plus here are options for carbides if you want on this track... I have yet to need ice scratchers

Off trail... little less experience with this on this sled... I would classify myself as a farely good back country rider who routinely subjects a sled to large air and drops and can ride pretty technical... this sled is gonna be a handful for me.... I really wish I could feel it with a 36" front... anyway the sled has so much nearly instant trackspeed that I have been able to play in powder and not get Barried yet... I think this thing has so much track speed it will somewhat make up for weight... more or less the tight technical stuff is where I'm gonna clearly get off and stuck doing... I once had the sled wash out on thinner snow ... and to get sled from its side back onto skis was a workout!!!

The sleds tunnel and rear bumper are not so refined... my issue here is the tunnel is clearly made short, maybe just even with real axle... the problem is the bumper doesn't give much in the way of leverage... and the snowflap sticks out quite a bit... this makes it very hard to lift the rear of sled... im sure this is intentional as I have read about several tunnels being folded after a sled gets 12 O'clocked!

Another note is the sled doesn't reverse hardly at all in powder... I find it's mostly due to the skis and their habit of grabbing the heel into the snow!

All in all if you have questions fire away... I love the sled.... I was looking to go from one of the best backcountry sleds out there to a sled that can truly do It all... I wanna ride and smile... this thing truly allows more than I can handle of both

Good luck
Squeeze tight

That was a great report. Thanks. How is the handling at the 40”? I read a mag report saying the faster you run it over bumps the smoother the ride. Is that accurate? I’d like a fairly comfortable ride over bumps at low to medium speed.

Suspension is a touchy subject something I approve of you may totally hate.... with that said it's a fox float and somewhere in the infinite pressure range you can find the ride you want.... stock setup was garbage...

My machine is running really awesome for me on trails... it may be slightly soft for bigger hits but it steers like it's on rails with hardly any inside ski lift and absolutely no push into the turns... best yet the weight transfer is almost perfect it will playfully lift the skis whenever and however long you squeeze the go stick but still really hooks up.... the longer limiter strap will really help ride in whoops

I loved my KYB's on the Freeride... that sled was the best suspension I've ever had... it was a Cadillac ... this sled isn't as good.... but I'm gettin closer to really decent ride quality / characteristics just takes time and a little knowledge to make it all work correctly

I have a 18' Yamaha sidewinder B-tx SE! I come from a 16' Skidoo Freeride 154"!

I ride northern / Western Maine and Canada.

Let me start by saying I love this machine but it's another animal... I believe I can do lots of back country like before, but I will admit it won't do the extreme stuff I could do on a Freeride. with that said I was looking for something that I could be just as happy on trail as off... I love ..... let's Put that another way.... I freakin can't even explain the feeling you get from this thing!

I've had to settle for the lower grade FOX Float 3's but they will suffice... I will say I have been workin on adjustments for 3 rides now but every ride gets better... if I had some gripes it would be I wish the front was adjustable from 36-40" I mean come on all this tech and we can't have 4" of adjustability..... I also wish I could have chosen a shock upgrade at discount but I had to deal with what I was dealt! Also the rear tunnel/tail could use better design!

Handling:

On trail, set to skinny on the skis and swaybar connected! With a lot of adjusting I've went from ultra harsh ride to acceptable ... the sled rips, its instant pull, and endless yank leave smiles for days... this engine greatly benefits from a longer track... it helps balance its weight and it really helps all that horsepower get hooked up... my sled may have lost some MPH's but let's be honest I bet most of us will never get tired of the "UN-GODLY" pull this thing has... I have been able to chase my buddies on 850 Mxz's and renegades and once you get suspension set-up properly you will be amazed at the trail manners... I believe this is the ultimate trail sled... I understand it may take more effort to ride fast in the twisty s but that's what makes it fun! And longer tracks ride great on trails... the 1.75" track I have is stout... it doesn't fold the lugs and it is very happy and "quiet" on the trail.... plus here are options for carbides if you want on this track... I have yet to need ice scratchers

Off trail... little less experience with this on this sled... I would classify myself as a farely good back country rider who routinely subjects a sled to large air and drops and can ride pretty technical... this sled is gonna be a handful for me.... I really wish I could feel it with a 36" front... anyway the sled has so much nearly instant trackspeed that I have been able to play in powder and not get Barried yet... I think this thing has so much track speed it will somewhat make up for weight... more or less the tight technical stuff is where I'm gonna clearly get off and stuck doing... I once had the sled wash out on thinner snow ... and to get sled from its side back onto skis was a workout!!!

The sleds tunnel and rear bumper are not so refined... my issue here is the tunnel is clearly made short, maybe just even with real axle... the problem is the bumper doesn't give much in the way of leverage... and the snowflap sticks out quite a bit... this makes it very hard to lift the rear of sled... im sure this is intentional as I have read about several tunnels being folded after a sled gets 12 O'clocked!

Another note is the sled doesn't reverse hardly at all in powder... I find it's mostly due to the skis and their habit of grabbing the heel into the snow!

All in all if you have questions fire away... I love the sled.... I was looking to go from one of the best backcountry sleds out there to a sled that can truly do It all... I wanna ride and smile... this thing truly allows more than I can handle of both

Good luck
Squeeze tight
Check out the cat pro climb ski's, they have a super wide saddle with spacers for up to 2" of adjustment per ski, should get you to at least 38", maybe even more depending on your current setup.

I have a 2018 sidewinder Btx se how do it handle? Excellent! I love the deep skis I find there is no darting on the trails and a excellent very comfortable seating position for me at 6'1" 300 lbs after a long day riding I can hop back on and go again! I would recommend a mountain seat if your a tall rider .... when it comes to the off trail riding you have all the power to get you where you want to go I just traded my 2017 Polaris Assault 800 and I would prefer my Sidewinder. HOLD ON AND ENJOY!

Is everyone still feeling the same about this sled, I am also getting off a 800 freeride and really like the 850’s but I just don’t want the ticking 2 stroke time Bomb!

im telling ya to try one out.... find one with a couple hundred miles if you can to try cause I'm tellin ya if you don't get off with a smile then something is wrong! I'm pretty sure as miles are added and engine goes through it's break-in she really comes to life

Specially awesome when suspension is setup! I highly recommend a longer track version as I feel like the power these have is wasted if it don't hook up... I have a BTX 153"x 1.75" and last sled was a 16' Freeride 154" x 2.5"

In the county I was cruising 3/4 throttle and doing 80-90mph.... I've seen as much as 111mph but still havnt held it long enough to see as it's brand new.... but hell my freeride was all done at 90

Time bomb wise I had an issue with my chaincase... but the dealer and Yamaha for that matter have worked to make it right... Yamaha paid for my trip when I broke down and the dealer took parts off a showroom sled to fix mine... my freeride also had its issues and each season I lost weeks of prime riding.... at least I can ride this one

im telling ya to try one out.... find one with a couple hundred miles if you can to try cause I'm tellin ya if you don't get off with a smile then something is wrong! I'm pretty sure as miles are added and engine goes through it's break-in she really comes to life

Specially awesome when suspension is setup! I highly recommend a longer track version as I feel like the power these have is wasted if it don't hook up... I have a BTX 153"x 1.75" and last sled was a 16' Freeride 154" x 2.5"

In the county I was cruising 3/4 throttle and doing 80-90mph.... I've seen as much as 111mph but still havnt held it long enough to see as it's brand new.... but hell my freeride was all done at 90

Time bomb wise I had an issue with my chaincase... but the dealer and Yamaha for that matter have worked to make it right... Yamaha paid for my trip when I broke down and the dealer took parts off a showroom sled to fix mine... my freeride also had its issues and each season I lost weeks of prime riding.... at least I can ride this one

Agree if you are the fence about getting one then you have to try one or just do it....

I mean what is the worst thing that is going to happen that you are going to hate it, which my opinion would not happen but each to their own. But if you don't like it sell it or trade it in for something else.

I have a 2017 BTX LE with the 2.25 i mainly ride in the Up of michigan 70% off trail and 40% on trail. this sled handles great on the trails due to the 40" front end. When off the trail only time i get stuck is if i get hung up by something under the snow or a tree gets in the way otherwise just pinch wiggle and hold on for the ride. i would love to take this sled out in the steep and deep where i would use its full potential i think it would be an animal. My previous and spare sled is a viper xtx and there is just no comparison of the 2, actually looking at getting rid of the viper and getting another btx sidewinder this summer.

If your from midwest area and want to try one of these sleds i encourage you to come up to Munising, MI March 9th thru 11th at the ty end of the year ride and find out for yourself. There is always a group of us who does off trail at all of the rides, if my sled is fixed by then i'll let someone try mine just so they can get a feel for it.

Suspension is a touchy subject something I approve of you may totally hate.... with that said it's a fox float and somewhere in the infinite pressure range you can find the ride you want.... stock setup was garbage...

My machine is running really awesome for me on trails... it may be slightly soft for bigger hits but it steers like it's on rails with hardly any inside ski lift and absolutely no push into the turns... best yet the weight transfer is almost perfect it will playfully lift the skis whenever and however long you squeeze the go stick but still really hooks up.... the longer limiter strap will really help ride in whoops

I loved my KYB's on the Freeride... that sled was the best suspension I've ever had... it was a Cadillac ... this sled isn't as good.... but I'm gettin closer to really decent ride quality / characteristics just takes time and a little knowledge to make it all work correctly
i have the 17 btx-le it has very little transfer, are you putting longer straps on it ?

i have the 17 btx-le it has very little transfer, are you putting longer straps on it ?

It shouldn't need longer straps.. I'm being told the answer is a stiffer spring for Center shock...
I still get ok transfer I guess I've just been spoiled with KYB's on that Freeride and now I gotta spend money to get I back... but hey I've already got more miles in half a season then I had In two full seasons on the Freeride

I will be trying a different spring hopefully this year but we see how long the season is...

I am now part of the BTX family having just purchased a 2017 BTX SE. Just rode it around the yard with 18" of snow and all it wanted to do is go straight. I was thinking of changing out the skis like all of my other Yamaha sleds, but I will be patient and try to work with what I have. Very happy to hear your reports on how well this handles on and off trail. Keep the ideas coming.

Back your front skid shock spring preload off 3 or 4 turns

Last edited:

Back