• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Buddy crashed rental sled, has to pay full price?

Force4000

Extreme
Hello all, just a general question about paying a 500 dollar deductible for renting a sled when your still liable for everything you do to it. My friend this weekend got cut off in a corner and slid down a ditch and hit a stump in the snow. His sled had 1900 dollars in damaged and he to pay for it all up front. My question is isn't the 500 dollar deductible suppose to cover this then the rentals insurance company covers the rest?

I agree so what did his $500 buy him: nothing! I would not have paid it left the building and my $500 and tell them to sue me.

Depends on whether it was a "deductable" or a "damage deposit".

Rentals around here used to require a $500.00 Damage deposit. Some thought they were deductables, but they were not.

He needs to look at his rental agreement. It will tell him what his $500 was.

Damage deposit, he owes it all.

Deductable, they owe him $1,400 I would say.

If they don't want to give it back if it was a deductable, tell him to call the Cops ,as the rental company has defrauded him and that's against the law.

$500 is typically a "damage deposit" not a deductible .... $500 pre authorized charge to your credit card is intended to keep people from breaking small items that quickly eat up rental profit .... busted windscreen is probably $85 to $110 plus labour to replace which would eat up all the profit in a $175 daily rental ....

In most cases he would have to pay $1400 in addition to his $500 damage deposit ..... same as renting an apartment when you are asked for a damage deposit or 1st & last month's rent before moving in ....
suck it up and move on ....

Thanks for the responses, if he would have paid 40 more bucks for the "insurance" offer it still requires you to pay up to 1500 in damage to the sled. It mostly protects you from a total out of the snowmobile. The rental place is huge in eagle river I dont think they would be doing anything illegal. Just sucks for the poor guy turned into quite the weekend expense.

That business should get some insurance and if its that big it should be ashamed of itself for not doing so. Read the fine print.

Back