• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Building my first nytro...

chunkysoup13

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Yamaha Nytro XTX
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a 2012 Nyto xtx I am going to doing some work to soon. I bought a 1.75 back country track for it. I want to install the anti ratcher drivers, but not sure which ones to install. Does anyone have suggestions? I was also told to put a 20t top gear in. Also, does anyone have any experience messing with torsion springs. Looking for a cheap way to take care of the sag and bottoming out for right now. Thanks in advance.

When I put the 1.75 on my xtx I didn't install anti ratchet drivers, xtx can run looser track than shorties and not ratchet but it's up to you.
I also dropped 1 tooth to a 20 top gear but have sincecwent back to 21 tooth top gear but I gave full exhaust programmer clutch kit and filters.
As for the springs I installed apex 1900nm springs. I hear hygear torsion spacers do the same thing.

Welcome, i installed the kimpex extros from barn of parts and they have held up well. I was ratcheting in deep snow before the extros ,and now I've been able to loosen the track and no ratcheting . Gearing is up to you. Off trail mostly, 20 ? On trail ,stock?

IMG_5494.JPG

Yep, heavier guy here & the 4th position is just some extra with my re-valved stuff.
Nice piece by Travis.

From all the research I've done, Wahl for NA builds, Avid for turbo. The XTX does not seem to have too many issues with ratcheting, but if you're already swapping the track, you may as well switch the drivers too. 8t and 9t are the most commonly used sizes for the XTX. 9t are more efficient, but you will need to cut the ends of your rails (by about half an inch I believe, hopefully someone can confirm that). You will also need to run an anti-stab kit if you go this route.

When I switched to a 2" challenger track I dropped two teeth on the upper (so 19) and kept the lower the same. This setup allowed me to keep the chain the same length. 20 should be fine for a 1.75. If you're curious, someone posted a chart (I think its in the mountain section) of the different sprocket/chain calculations.

If you haven't discovered yet through your research, the XTX rear suspension is sub-par at best. You have a few different routes you can take to improve it...
1. Scrap the skid and find a 141 AC Float skid.
2. Find the arms, etc from a Nytro MTX SE and install them on your 144 rails.
3. Star Suspension kit.
4. Swap Springs or torsion spacers which were mentioned above.
I'm sure there's a few more solutions, but these are the most common. It all depends on personal-preference, budget, and riding style.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome... great resource for information here before you do it! I am building up a 2009 FX Nytro XTX 144... I have a thread going on what started as my front end+ rebuild and now I am heavy into the "+" part of it. Torsion springs are an open question for me as well and how to fine tune the HyGear suspension that came on the sled. Sounds like a lot of tweaking to get our sleds set up correctly but once done, should be a lot of fun. I went back into some old threads and saw information on the HyGear spacer... I weigh 190 lb. plus 20 lb. of leathers, boots and helmet so stock springs may still work for me. Will watch this thread, applies to what I am doing.

HyGear Torsion Spring Spacers.jpg

From all the research I've done, Wahl for NA builds, Avid for turbo. The XTX does not seem to have too many issues with ratcheting, but if you're already swapping the track, you may as well switch the drivers too. 8t and 9t are the most commonly used sizes for the XTX. 9t are more efficient, but you will need to cut the ends of your rails (by about half an inch I believe, hopefully someone can confirm that). You will also need to run an anti-stab kit if you go this route.

When I switched to a 2" challenger track I dropped two teeth on the upper (so 19) and kept the lower the same. This setup allowed me to keep the chain the same length. 20 should be fine for a 1.75. If you're curious, someone posted a chart (I think its in the mountain section) of the different sprocket/chain calculations.

If you haven't discovered yet through your research, the XTX rear suspension is sub-par at best. You have a few different routes you can take to improve it...
3. Star Suspension kit.
I'm sure there's a few more solutions, but these are the most common. It all depends on personal-preference, budget, and riding style.

Welcome to the forum!

3. Star Suspension kit.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for your reply. I am under the assumption that the stock driver in my XTX is a 9T. I guess my question to that is why would i have to trim the plastic tips on the rails if they are the same size? I was planning on purchasing the Wahl Bros drivers because I get them at below dealer pricing. Also, I planned on getting the Black Diamond rear axle kit that moves the rear bogie wheels inboard of the rails versus outboard of the rails. I don't have plans to run a turbo on this sled, I don't see the point in putting that sort of money into a sled when I can get a boosted Viper or Sidewinder. On the other hand I will have to check into the Anti-Stab kit. I am not familiar with those. I did plan on purchasing the Star Suspension kit eventually.....until I heard Schmidt Brothers is working on a similar kit. But your idea of installing all of the MTX suspension parts onto my 144 rails makes a lot of sense also. Definitely something to consider. I am planning on going to a 20t small drive gear. I could give a rip about top speed, but I am hungry for the torque. I like to ride mostly off trail. But my main concern is the drivers......

I would definitely like to thank everyone for their replies. I did not expect this much feedback nor feel this welcomed on here. It's a great feeling!

Extrovert drivers have teeth that run through the holes in the track. This allows you to run your track looser because these teeth ensure the track will spin and not ratchet. These teeth will contact the the ends of the stock XTX rails.

Back