• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bulkhead Rivets - Non OEM?

Website
gfir.ws
We're replacing a right bulkhead on an RX-1 and need rivets.

They're dam near $3/ea from Yamaha.

I've searched & seen several q's and a few generic answers but can anyone give me a specific alternative source for the rivets?

Thanks!

crazyyamaha said:
Fastenal has them much cheaper

what part number is everyone using? I have used the stainless rivets that CR racing sends with there tunnels, they are sweet.

crazyyamaha... but what's the part# from Fastenal? That's where I'm having trouble - folks tell me places to get them cheaper but not the exact part#. On the diagram from Yamaha it simply gives the Yamaha part# but of course not the specs for the rivet so that I could cross-ref.

yox... Is this the specific rivet for the tunnel?:
http://sledtoyz.com/component/virtu...ypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=77&category_id=6

[/url]

Multi-grip

Is probably what you need. Those are the equivalent to what Yamaha uses on the heat exchangers, if the ones you are replacing look like the ones in the running board heat exchangers.

We're in Canada so there will be a cross border delay. If you need them Pronto, contact 'Ding', he probably has some kicking around. ;)!

CrewChief - perfect! Unfortunately, I do want them asap..still have hopes of salvaging a trip this weekend.

I sent Ding a pm last Wednesday but it still shows in my Outbox (ie he hasn't read it). By chance do you have an email or phone# for Ding?

Thanks!

RX1 Bulkhead help

I hate to jump in on this thread like this, but, could any of you guys help me with a bulkhead change out (right side). Or, could I have it welded. The eye where the a-arm bolts on is broke off, and lost. Could we just patch that eye up. How big of a job is it to change the bulkhead out, where's a good place to get the parts, used or new?
Any input is greatly appreciated.

redbank, I feel your pain, I'm replacing the right-side bulkhead on my 2003 RX1 for the same reason. You're going to have to replace the bulkhead. Even if you had the rest of the eye piece aluminum can be a tough weld and will not hold up like a new one. If you look around on the forum you'll see some people say it's an easy fix but I've been working on mine for about a month now and am just starting to put it back together. It can be done though. A few hints; you have to remove the entire bulkhead, the left and right sides must come out together to get them apart. Start by removing the ski assemblies on both sides, and then take out the rivets into the bulkheads. I suggest replacing all the bushings while you're in there. If your arms are twisted at all replace those too. Use OEM rivets.

You might be able to find a used one online, try ebay and Al's Snowmobile. I went with a new one myself.

Good luck!

I just used some 3/16 * 1/2 pull multigrip rivets to do my heat exchangers. I used aluminum jacket with steel pin with an oversized head. The bulkhead you may want to use zinc plated steel for the extra strength. Get a good pop rivet tool it is one hell of a pull but the multigrips really pull things together well and fill in sloppy wholes. An air tool would be the cats meow. I blew through two cheap ones from Canadian Tire doing 70 rivets before I broke down and bought a stanley one to finish the job.

Price I got them at Facca Fastners for 49 cents a piece in Canada. Still pricey but not $3 a piece.

Back