• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can BRP boggies fit right on the Yamaha skid?

gems4sale

Pro
Website
opalrough.ca
I read last year that the BRP boggies are part of the answer to the Hyfax wearing issues. My OEM boggies don't even touch the track with new slides installed. I can't stand a new set of slides wearing out in 50 miles then getting another 1500 miles on the last 5% of plastic. Doesn't make sense. Does anyone know of a bigger boggie wheel that will fit?

Slydog wheels fit in the same as the factory wheels, and are slightly larger to help hyfax wear. They have 2005 bearings and are 135mm. Or you can run any 6205 bearing wheel that is 135mm on the outside of the rails, but NOT the inside.

Some will argue the bigger wheels will crack the rail unless you use a two bolt mount. Others say they have run them for thousands of miles with no problems. I figure if you hit something hard they'll crack regardless...some people get lucky, others don't.

That is what I have gathered from reading about it all summer. I bought the slydog wheels, and I'm gonna try to get some two bolt mounts in there as well (part number 503-190-389 from royal distributing). I bought the slydog wheels cause they look cool, :)

Anyone feel free to correct me if any of that is incorrect.

I ran Slydog wheels for 2 seasons now and never had any issues with slider wear after 5700 kms so far. I just replaced my original set of sliders because the season was approaching, but after inspection, I didn't need new sliders afterall, easily had plenty for the rest of this season.

NyTrOMaNIaC said:
I ran Slydog wheels for 2 seasons now and never had any issues with slider wear after 5700 kms so far. I just replaced my original set of sliders because the season was approaching, but after inspection, I didn't need new sliders afterall, easily had plenty for the rest of this season.

This is awesome news! So the almost $400 sounds like it is gonna be well worth it.

NyTrOMaNIaC said:

I forgot to ask, are you running the stock one bolt mounts for your slydog wheels? or did you switch to the two bolt mounts?

sleddingfarmer said:
NyTrOMaNIaC said:

I forgot to ask, are you running the stock one bolt mounts for your slydog wheels? or did you switch to the two bolt mounts?

I'm just using the stock mounts and 4 Slydog wheels in total, the 2 large rear wheels and the 2 smaller ones in the front. I'm also one of the very few on here who didn't have an issue with slider wear. I bet I could have got another 3000 kms out of the stock sliders easy, maybe more considering everyone says they wear to a certain point and stay there.

I put 135mm Doo wheels on my XTX. ($20 each bearing included)
Note that the XTX rails already have extra frame strengtheners, brackets etc. at every location. I figure only one bolt is necessary.
(but longer bolt may be required in some spots)
Doo (6205) bering is 15mm thick, stock Yami (6005) bearing is 12mm thick.
Machining of inner wheel mounts is required to fit 15mm bearing.
Do your own calculations once you take the inner wheel mounts apart.
The idea is that you must get the wheels to run well within the center of the middle track lugs.

The easy way out would be to buy the Slydogs just for the inner wheels.
And use the cheaper Doo wheels for all outers.

In some way I feel the thicker 6205 bearing will out last the thinner Yami 6005 bearings.

RTx99 said:
so what you are saying is you can run the doo wheels with one bolt mount on a xtx and not have to worry about cracking the rails :Rockon:

I assume yes, this would be the case.
I did read quite alot on this topic over the last few months.
It seems most (if any?) of the rail cracking people talk about was on the Mono chassis models. And some were having trouble even with stock smaller Yami wheels on that chassis.

Then when I got looking more closely at my XTX skid I can see where Yamaha made changes in effect to have a stronger rail wheel mount combination for the XTX. They are re-engineering and getting better.

So in my opinion...
I would be surprised if anyone has rail cracking on an XTX just from a 1.5mm taller wheel.
Unless it is a fluke super hard perfect hit.
But then that would crack any rail set-up.

Back