• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

closing the tunnel completely

SharkAttak

TY 4 Stroke God
did anyone close there tunnel in completely last year? if so, did you have any problem's with the exhaust getting to hot? i'm thinking on closing it completely, but i have an excell exhaust on it, any thoughts?

When you say "completely" do you mean the front and rear, or just the rear? I closed the rear hole off with the kit from Excell and ran it with an Excell pipe and it still has not got close to melting plastics. Granted I haven't ran it all day long, I did run it stationary in an 80 degree shop though. Even though the exhaust was extremely hot, the plastics were find. The nice thing about the Excell kit is it still has small vents that kick up wind from the track to help cool.

Hope it helps.

I closed the rear off, only got 600 miles on it, but no ill-effects at all. Besides dry feet when running water / slush.

I closed just the rear section last year and it was the last ride of the season in March when the temps were in the 40's that day and there were no ill effects. Plastic was still intact and no melting going on. I am going to probably close off the front section and then wrap the pipe from the manifold to the exahaust with some heat wrap. It should keep the temps down and have no issues then.

Also, don't forget that yamaha makes those louvered side panels. I had them installed on mine. They have there good and bad... The good, they stop most of the iceing on the running boards. The bad, all that melted snow has to go somewhere so it runs back into the tunnel where it freezes again and before you know it, your carrying an extra 40 lbs of ice around.

I'm still on the fence about closing the tunnel, at least the big hole. Personally I don't think it's a good idea to close the small one. I have the aluminum that I can shear to the right size, but I think, if I'm going to do this, I'll take the panel out to the local hot rod shop and have a bunch of louvers punched in it.

Oh, and another place that a lot of snow gets thrown on to the running boards is the opening at the back of the sides where the rear bumper bolts on (see attachment). I think it's a good idea to bend some aluminum up to cover that as well.

Just my two cents...

Trevor

Attachments

• 07_phazer_fx_blue_SeatTunne.jpg
    07_phazer_fx_blue_SeatTunne.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 109
Here is the link to pics that I took last year after riding a full day. It shows the back hole covered up as well as the 2 side holes in the tunnel. Counting down right now to the start of snowmobile season or open trails. As of right now it is 54 for the official day and then who really knows for then there will be enough snow to ride around my own land. http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=40108&start=30

when u close off the tunnel with the stock pipe u can lose HP the pipe is desinged to create low pressuer from being cooled from the snow and pretty much sucks the exhaust out. buy closing it off and letting it get over heated its equivilant to droping down to a smaller diamiter pipe and header. u can get a kit that covers up the sides but still alows the pipe to be cooled. as for aftermarket pipes u would have to talk to the manufacturers. like excell sells the tunnel kit they may have had that in mine when designing the exhaust and it may not effect it. remeber its a 4 stroke not a 2 storke exaust back pressure is bad not good like for a a 2 stroke.

terret725 said:
when u close off the tunnel with the stock pipe u can lose HP the pipe is desinged to create low pressuer from being cooled from the snow and pretty much sucks the exhaust out. buy closing it off and letting it get over heated its equivilant to droping down to a smaller diamiter pipe and header. u can get a kit that covers up the sides but still alows the pipe to be cooled. as for aftermarket pipes u would have to talk to the manufacturers. like excell sells the tunnel kit they may have had that in mine when designing the exhaust and it may not effect it. remeber its a 4 stroke not a 2 storke exaust back pressure is bad not good like for a a 2 stroke.

that is probabaly true, but i'm more concerned about the ice build up in the foot well's, it's the wife's machine and if she isn't happy i have to here about it all day long, ha,ha,ha

SharkAttak, I've seen your avatar a miilion times, and I never get tired of it. I laugh at least 3 times every time I see it. Don't go changing it!

Back