• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching issues

MUDDER

Veteran
I have been trying to get my Drag N Flyies to work for 3 seasons now and not having any luck. After 2000km my stock sled started over revving so I bought the Drag n flies and put the recommended settings in and it still over reved so I added more and more weight until the rpm's were right but it lost a lot of power. Scott at Boss performance told me to try this set up
Stock secondary set at 70 deg.
HC black primary spring
bolt+2 washer heel
0 middle
bolt+washer tip
bolt+washer OD

Last year it worked pretty good until about 80mph then it was like a hit a brick wall. This year I got the sled ready didn't a thing except the Excell Motorsports idler wheel kit andit is reving 9300 all day yesterday. It pulls real good until it goes over 9000 then it doesn't pull near as hard. i'm getting very frustrated any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

Where do i add or subtract weight to get more RPMs? i have both and 3 washers in heel, bolt and washer in tip and overdrive, center is empty. Black spring.

Also have hauck H helix and grey secondary spring, gonna run it at 6/1 which would be 70. had it at 6/2, pulled good til about 85-90 but then nothing, was at like 94mph at lke 8450 rpm.

With a 20 top gear and the red hc spring with 1 bolt and two washers mid I got 94-95 mph out of it at 8600 rpm... I now have the black setup in as I mentioned above but I didn't try it for top end... Well I did but it was plus 5 out so the best I could get was 85 mph at 8800 rpm.. I'm gonna try it tomorrow. I have one problem that I notice with my sled when cruising at low speeds through the bush... It seems like one of the clutches sticks or stays open I have to give it a shot of gas to get it normal... Only at low speeds.. The clutches are clean... What could do this? Is it the clutches or something with the engine brake?

does this seem to happen after a higher RPM run?
check the bushings on the weights and the little washers on each side of the pin that goes thru them . if they are wore the weights get caught on the insides of the primary when open , just a thought . just got done replacing mine today, rode last nite and everytime I came to stop would have to do the same thing .

Well mostly at speeds less than 20 mph and if I'm off and on the throttle at those speeds... It happens sometimes after a high rpm run and then when u go to get on the gas lightly it seems to do it. When I had my weights off I noticed that the top of them where they ride on the rollers are kinda getting worn out.. Like a squished look to the metal... Anyone else notice this? There's only maybe 2000 miles or so on them...

nytroman20 said:
Well mostly at speeds less than 20 mph and if I'm off and on the throttle at those speeds... It happens sometimes after a high rpm run and then when u go to get on the gas lightly it seems to do it. When I had my weights off I noticed that the top of them where they ride on the rollers are kinda getting worn out.. Like a squished look to the metal... Anyone else notice this? There's only maybe 2000 miles or so on them...

What do your rollers look/feel like?

nytroman20 said:
With a 20 top gear and the red hc spring with 1 bolt and two washers mid I got 94-95 mph out of it at 8600 rpm... I now have the black setup in as I mentioned above but I didn't try it for top end... Well I did but it was plus 5 out so the best I could get was 85 mph at 8800 rpm.. I'm gonna try it tomorrow. I have one problem that I notice with my sled when cruising at low speeds through the bush... It seems like one of the clutches sticks or stays open I have to give it a shot of gas to get it normal... Only at low speeds.. The clutches are clean... What could do this? Is it the clutches or something with the engine brake?

As "gmfamily2008" said. Take your belt and your rollers off and the cover to the clutch and move the weights in and out to see if it is hitting on the sides of the clutch..you will see marks if this has happend...but I can['t imagien the plastic washers are worn out...maybe you bolt set up is hitting on the sides causing this..not sure..let us know what you find

Everything in the primary seems fine... Only thing I see are the weights are worn down a bit( I can hook some metal with my nail off the edge) and there's a flat spot right above the mid hole.... Maybe the secondary?

Turk said:
Toss that silver secondary spring in the garbage can & use the stock pink

They gave me the spring with the helix. so run the stock blac spring with pink dot, with their helix?

What do i do to get more RPM, add or subtract weight and where?

Thanks

Back