• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cobra Track VS Rip Saw

crmac33

Veteran
I recently tore the original track from my 08 Apex ER 121"/144 woody's, I have been trying to decide between another ripsaw or a new cobra? What are the differences in traction and top end speeds? Any help would be appreciated.

Do you think that studding of the track was the culprit? I'm a fan of the pre-studded tracks like the Ice Ripper and Ice Attack. The Ice Ripper on my Nytro went 9400 km without a problem, plus the studs were still sharp when I sold it.

I just ordered a track for my Apex, an Ice Attack XT, which is a derivative of the Ripsaw II track. I'm quite interested in the new design of the track.

I've ran both tracks on my Apex. Traction...I found the Ripsaw to be better on harpack (than the Cobra) and the Cobra is better in the loose/fluffy snow. You will lose a few mph on top end with the Cobra. I found both tracks to be durable.

Ive run both on my attak. For the style snow that I run in the U.P. which I would call groomed loose trail snow. The cobra is way better traction for hook-up and breaking. The cobra also lost about 5 mph on top end, plus I lost 500 + rpm throughout the powerband. I am in the process of trying to get the clutches dialed in now...(but winter is over). Durabilty is not known on the cobra to me because only 1200 miles this winter on it, but held up like new so far. It comes down to this.....if you want traction in looser type snow, then cobra for sure. If top speed is a priority, then ripsaw, or even look at lower lug tracks. If you run hard/icy roads, then a cobra will not help.

There is a new Ripsaw II track option now. It's similar to the Cobra, but with 1 1/4 lugs.

My Cobra was more durable than my Ripsaw. I preferred the Cobra.

I started the season with a 144" ripsaw and it was nice for trail riding but once I went onto a lake it didn't work well in the snow, now I have a cobra track and it's good on the trail and the lake.....I only have 200 miles on the cobra track but so far I like it better then the ripsaw

I just changed over this year to a Cobra track. I like it more and more everyday. I'll agree that on hard pack it may not have as much traction as a Ripsaw, although, I definitely like it on loose trail and in the powder. I just got back from Ontario and I could run Powder without too much problems. Another sled along with us that still had a Ripsaw track just buried himself.

I didn't realize that this track would bring down my RPM's. With my clutch kit I was having overrev issues and this year that went away. I dropped about 300 RPM from 10800 to 10500. I didn't put the two together. I guess this worked out for me :Rockon:

Has anybody experienced throwing more snow with the Cobra? Along with this track I added Stud Boys new plastic backers and I have a rooster tail that is something fierce. Not really good when your the leader a lot of the time. I ground a bunch of the plastic off my backers and it helped. I'm considering removing the backers if they are the sole culprit. Just wondering if the deeper lug track has something to do with it.

bleedin-blue said:
Has anybody experienced throwing more snow with the Cobra? Along with this track I added Stud Boys new plastic backers and I have a rooster tail that is something fierce. Not really good when your the leader a lot of the time. I ground a bunch of the plastic off my backers and it helped. I'm considering removing the backers if they are the sole culprit. Just wondering if the deeper lug track has something to do with it.
why are people riding that close to you that ur rooster tail is a problem. my uncles 2011 xtx does the same thing. he has 172 studs and whips up little snow balls all the time lol. My intense track puts up a pretty good roost too.

What about slush and twelve inch deep water conditions on the lake before the water drains and the ice lifts, would a cobra perform much better than a ripsaw? Anybody have a chance to compare? I know when I run into the water patches with my ripsaw, its like someone released the parachute!

Cobra was better than the ripsaw on everything except glare ice and extreme hardpack. Fresh groomed and on up the Cobra was better. Top end loss was around 2 or 3 mph if that. It accelerated much better though.

Here's a pic of the new Ripsaw II, somewhat similar to the Cobra, but with a 1 1/4" lug. I've heard that the lugs are stiffer than the Cobra.

Attachments

• Ripsaw II 1.25.jpg
    Ripsaw II 1.25.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 193

Back