• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cutting down rails for 9 tooth extroverts

northxtx

I'm installing a backcountry on my xtx and have installed wahl bros 9 tooth extroverts.How much do I need to cut my rails down before i assemble everything together. Thanks!

this is a well timed post. I just finished my 1.75 bc install with 9 tooth drivers. I had read that the rails didnt need to be cut. Well i can confirm the xtx will rub. Im looking for the procedure to trim the rails myself from someone that has done it.

On one of my old cat's I trimmed the whal bros wheels down in the latte (??) only the spikes. Wanted to keep the tip up on the rails.

Just took off one of the plastic tips and would agree that there is enough to sand down a bit. Does how tight you run the track have anything to do with this?

Thanks everyone. I ended up grinding some plastic off the tip of the rails. Took the sled out for a ride and everything seems fine.

linemech31 said:
this is a well timed post. I just finished my 1.75 bc install with 9 tooth drivers. I had read that the rails didnt need to be cut. Well i can confirm the xtx will rub. Im looking for the procedure to trim the rails myself from someone that has done it.

The short track skids don't need to be trimmed, so that might have been what you read.

Bottom the front shock and have another look northernxtx. I trimmed the plastic and it still hit. Ended up cutting the rails to make it work. It was no fun buthad to be done. Just took it out for a ride and no issues anymore

northxtx said:
I'm installing a backcountry on my xtx and have installed wahl bros 9 tooth extroverts.How much do I need to cut my rails down before i assemble everything together. Thanks!

There are a couple old threads on it and some apparently have been running the extroverts without cutting the rails. It is advisable to cut the rail back 3/8", not just the plastic end caps. Once the rail is cut you can put the rail ends back in place by cutting them to fit and riveting back into place. You can test clearance by put the skid in without the shocks and cycle it a few times on a lift.

The rtx will clear with 9tooth extros the xtx will not... The rails themselves have to be cut down a minimum of 3/8ths inch, i cut mine down 1/2". Once you cut them down you better put a anti-stab kit on the front or risk ruining your rails and track.

Once you bottom the rear suspension you will find out really quickly that you need to shorten the rails and not just the caps. Sounds and feels like a bomb goes off in the tunnel by your feet. And it puts a nice divot in your drivers

2010 XTX with 9 tooth extroverts and 1.75 back country, 6000 k with no mods to rails or extroverts and absolutly no issues

Nytros rule said:
2010 XTX with 9 tooth extroverts and 1.75 back country, 6000 k with no mods to rails or extroverts and absolutly no issues

Which extroverts are you running?

Installed a set of Extro's from Yamaha. Stock I guess . Put them on a 2010 XTX. cycled the suspension and they never hit. There was at least 1.5" of clearance at all times.. Never did it without the shocks in the skid but the guy jumped up and down pretty good while I was watching it. Maybe Whal's and Avid are longer in the tips of the wheels.

Wouldn't it make more sense to run 8 tooth drivers and do a gear change than cut the rails?

Back