• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Darting VK's

Gill_VK06

Veteran
Does anyone have the trouble of their machine darting, meaning hard to handle, following other ruts easy, or tippy. These are all signs of the same problem. I was to the point of trading it on something else because it wasn't fun to drive at all. I even flipped once because of this problem. I am glad I have found the fix for this and now the vk is a different machine.

Anyway, if anyone has this problem and what to get rid of it let me know. From what I here, all the vk's are like this and most of the ventures, even older ones.

Bryan

darting vk

Yes I have the same problem. I am looking forward to hearing about your solution. Bruce

There is a new aftermarket ski runner by Qualipieces. I think this is a Quebec company. I stumbled on this by mistake and it was the best thing that ever happened. My local dealer had a set of these that he was trying to get someone to try. I was the guinea pig for this in this area and it works like a damn. The cost here was $169 + tax.

Check out this website and the ones that I have are in the middle of the page with the wide plate going up the front of the ski. The machine turns on ice and asphalt better as well. Like I said, It was the best money spent on that machine. This will improve all Yamaha's, we have proven it in this area.

http://qualipieces.com/

They're way overpriced, but I concur that they are certainly effective. IMHO, the darting problem can be alleviated by letting the limiters out a bit and not using large ski-boots, but hey, I am one of those people who needs the large ski-boots for deep snow performance so we don't have the luxury of not using them.

In saying this they aren't much more overpriced than OEM carbide runners just the same....

In my experience they have. The wider bottom keel makes the ski hunt for a rut that it fits into. I'd never take them off regardless, but that has been the culprit in the case of several of the utility sled that I have owned in the past 20yrs.

keep in mind the new gen vk's do not have a sway bar on them. there are provisions for one but the frame is wider than the rx/rs models so you will have to find your own bar.

MulotTurbo said:
A set of 10" simmons skis (same as I use in my mountain sleds) do wonders for the vk!

I'm curious about the Gen 2 ski. Is it worth the $430 for my '08 VK? I have regular Simmons on a couple of sleds and they are very nice but they were half the price on Ebay. My wife complained about darting so I shopped around for a pair. They increased her cruise speed from 45 to 60 on the groomed trails...worth the $200 for sure.

While this is a very old thread, this remains a problem for the VK Pro with stock skis and/or ski skins. There was some great info above about the Qualipieces Cobra runners that extend a flat plate forward and give the carbide a less aggressive approach to the snow, thus reducing darting. These work great on Ski-doo DS1/2/Pilot 7.4 skis and I will be trying these on the VKPro shortly to see if it helps.

I make the flatbar extensions now and weld them on. Pretty easy to mimic

Back