• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Regulator/Rectifier

yukolix

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 VK Professional
My 2007 VK Pro regulator rectifier burned out early January with about 4,500km on the machine. I replaced it with a Kimpex HD regulator. It lasted 340km and already burned out yesterday.
In January, I checked/tested the all charging components (stator, battery, regulator) and found the stator ohm readings were within specs, the battery was fine, but the regulator was burned out. Now I’m not sure if the stator is faulty and putting out too high voltage and fries the regulator.

Does anyone know what the Voltage output of the stator should be? I haven’t been able find the info.

just looked through the manual and all they give is it should be putting out 14v at 5000 rpm through the regulator. only other spec is the ohm test of the stator.

i would try adding a ground wire from the housing of the regulator to the engine block. sounding like there might be some bad grounds to the chassis or possibly a chafed harness somewhere. could be a ground block as well.

My 2007 VK Pro regulator rectifier burned out early January with about 4,500km on the machine. I replaced it with a Kimpex HD regulator. It lasted 340km and already burned out yesterday.
In January, I checked/tested the all charging components (stator, battery, regulator) and found the stator ohm readings were within specs, the battery was fine, but the regulator was burned out. Now I’m not sure if the stator is faulty and putting out too high voltage and fries the regulator.

Does anyone know what the Voltage output of the stator should be? I haven’t been able find the info.

The stator should have 3 phases of AC output. I don't have access to a VK pro service manual but the easiest way to spot check the stator is to check the voltage from phase to phase. 1-2, 1-3, 2-3 and they should be the same. At idle I would suspect they should be in the 20-30v range.

Thanks for the replies. maim I have a grounding wire from the rectifier to the engine block, I did the stator ohm test and it looks fine, although it’s hard to get exact ohm readings with my multimeter (maybe time for a FLUKE).I checked the ground wire (and other wires, e.g. battery leads) for continuity and it rings out fine to the engine and the chassis. I even wiggled the cable harness roughly with the ohm meter attached and it is fine. I replaced the stator connector when I installed the part and used dielectric grease on both connectors. earthling I get about 24V AC at idle and about 44V AC at 3,500rpm so that seems fine.

Waiting to hear back from parts store about warranty.

I finally got my money back from FortNine for the defective regulator. Took awhile but nice to see FortNine cares. Meanwhile I was looking to get the Yamaha regulator from the local Yamaha dealer, they wanted $388.00 for the part and would have to bring it in from the states. I came across a cross reference table for the regulator for my VK pro and found the exact matching regulator at the local Skidoo dealer for $126.00. It’s a Bombardier part (710005569) and it fits my VK professional. It’s actually a Shindengen FH027AA made in Japan. So my VK pro is running again (fingers crossed) and the snow doesn’t want to disappear here.

Back