• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Does a 136" Skid Corner as Good as 121" Skid

77srxdude

Expert
Yeah, that is why you see the Firecats doing so well in snowcross. Longer skid hurts cornering ability in tight and twisties. They sometimes corner better you mention, may be the case in sweeping turns (and I still be hard convinced of that) - but no way when your cutting hard.

I found that the handling of the sled was much better... The biggest increase in handleing was the medium to faster corners... NO BOTTOMING OR KICK BACK... :Rockon:

Got me through the corner quicker than the stock 136" skid.

--Buster696--

77srxdude said:
Yeah, that is why you see the Firecats doing so well in snowcross. Longer skid hurts cornering ability in tight and twisties. They sometimes corner better you mention, may be the case in sweeping turns (and I still be hard convinced of that) - but no way when your cutting hard.
Firecats don't turn because the NARROW track digs in.

Then why did the other manus go to the narrow track but keep the length short??

It's futile brother - if you had a 100 inch track - it'd turn sharper and quicker than 121 - may not hook up as well coming out of the corner - but would allow more entry speed and better turning.

You believe an extra 1 1/2" width of track makes a difference but not any added length??

I don't even have to argue with you - you contradict yourself :)

77srxdude said:
You believe an extra 1 1/2" width of track makes a difference but not any added length??

I don't even have to argue with you - you contradict yourself :)
Lets put it this way;

Take the sharpest knife in your drawer and slice your hand with it. Notice how the blood oozes out. Then file it blunt and try slicing your hand with it again. Notice how much harder it is to cut your hand with it filed blunt?

Then at the same time - take a 10" circular saw and cut the tightest circle you can in a piece of plywood - then take a 4" circular blade and cut a circle - which one do you think would cut a smaller circle assuming max depth of cut??

Lets just leave bad analogies out of this :)

That analogy doesn't apply because the blade goes THROUGH the wood where the track (if its big enough) sits on the surface. In fact, a more apt analogy would be a CIRCULAR SAW as a NARROW track and a BELT SANDER as a long and wide track. Yeah, a belt sander kinda works the same as a WIDE TRACK, doesn't it? Maybe you can look at a narrow track as a CHAINSAW. There, I think I hit the nail on the head with that one.

Like I said - just leave the bad analogies out of it!! Your just getting even wilder now.

Here is an easy one - Suburban or Tahoe -which one handles tight cornering better??

Guys this arguement had been beaten to death for so long.

A few points:

1. If a 121 and 136 had identical cornering characteristics, then why even offer the 121?

2. Does this also mean the 121 will ride as good as the 136?

Bottom line is a 121 WILL corner better, a 136 WILL ride better. End of discussion...BBY

I have a Viper,Warrior and a Sno-Scoot for the kids the Scoot will out corner them all.Now if it went only faster then 20 mph.There is know comparision between the Viper and the Warrior in tight corners Viper turns much easier and stays flatter.Warrior does take bumps much better and is fine on anything where its not sharp corner after sharp corner.But hard to compare a Viper 121 to a Rx-1 121 or a Warrior just a better handling chassis.The thing that I notice most with the Warior is the sled always stays straight under braking and acelleration.Where with the Viper you can slid it in sideways and leave a corner sideways.

Actually a 121 does not corner better in regards to medium and sweeping corners. It's advantage is found mostly in tight cornering.

There are obvious trade-offs to consider when changing tracks.

But this really is a question that only you know the answer to, as it depends on your ability to ride a sled, and what you prefer. Some guys can ride a 136" better than others on a 121" and vice-versa. Some 121" setups ride just as good or better too, but when the snow gets deep, the longer track prevails.

Back