• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

does anyone else have a stock rx1............

when sleds have a mild tune up from the dealer,there is alot to be desired.put a Heavy Hitter cluch kit in them and watch it perform

I was beginning to think I was the only one with a stock machine. Had an 03 that was completely stock put on 4600 miles and wrote it off when I hit a rock. Now have an 04 with 1100 miles and it also will stay stock. It would be nice to make it a little faster but can't get my head around spending that kind of money to make it a few sled lengths faster. I am looking forward to the TY Manitoba ride to see everyones non stock sleds (turbo's etc) See ya there. :4STroke:

For those of you running the upgraded headlight bulbs...first off, WHY? As it is my friend's usually make me ride in front because my lights are so bright they get blinded in their mirrors. For this season I installed blue headlight covers just so I don't blind oncoming sleds...I got lots of complaints about that.

Next...how many of you have charging problems after installing them? Its my understanding that the RX charging system is barely adequit, and can't handle too many accessories. It sounds a lot like my ST-1100 street bike, and when I installed Zenon bulbs in that the charging system couldn't keep up and the battery kept going dead until I put the stock bulbs back in. With the stock bulbs, that bike was able to handle all the stock equipment, plus my GPS, radar detector, stereo/CD player, CB, and scanner without a problem.

As for modifying the sled, I agree with most of the comments above. there is no need to modify it...it will perform with most performance sleds right from the factory. However, even for trail use, some upgrades are very handy and don't hurt the life of the engine. The ECP kit, from my understanding, will help with the oil usage issue as the sleds gets more miles. It also lightens the sled by getting rid of the airbox. Add in the extra power and it sounds like a win/win situation with no trade-offs. Some other upgrades also have no downside. I have a Cat rear suspension. I've heard this saves somewhere around 15 lbs...thats great even for trail riding. Less sprung weight makes it ride better. And that it does...I have an incredible cushy ride now, beautiful for a long day of trail riding. This also eliminates the front suspension cornering problem and ski issue. For less than the cost of a new pair of good skis I have a cushy rear suspension that also makes the sled corner very flat, but still has great transfer.

I haven't done any clutching yet, but I keep reading about the improvements in trail performance with a good clutch kit, so it would be a sensible upgrade. Other than that, toss on some bags and head out for a long day or weekend on the trails and have fun.

Jim

Stock RX-1

Have a 2004 RX-1 with 700 miles on it. Put a clutch kit on it this summer and it really woke the sled up. Do not plan on any more mods to the sled as it is quick enough for me right now. What a machine!!!!!

When you ride different sled from the norm it always seems you have to defend your ride. Just wish most of the bashers would ride a 4 stroke, I am sure they would sing a different tune.

nhrxrider said:
For those of you running the upgraded headlight bulbs...first off, WHY? As it is my friend's usually make me ride in front because my lights are so bright they get blinded in their mirrors. For this season I installed blue headlight covers just so I don't blind oncoming sleds...I got lots of complaints about that.

Next...how many of you have charging problems after installing them? Its my understanding that the RX charging system is barely adequit, and can't handle too many accessories. It sounds a lot like my ST-1100 street bike, and when I installed Zenon bulbs in that the charging system couldn't keep up and the battery kept going dead until I put the stock bulbs back in. With the stock bulbs, that bike was able to handle all the stock equipment, plus my GPS, radar detector, stereo/CD player, CB, and scanner without a problem.

As for modifying the sled, I agree with most of the comments above. there is no need to modify it...it will perform with most performance sleds right from the factory. However, even for trail use, some upgrades are very handy and don't hurt the life of the engine. The ECP kit, from my understanding, will help with the oil usage issue as the sleds gets more miles. It also lightens the sled by getting rid of the airbox. Add in the extra power and it sounds like a win/win situation with no trade-offs. Some other upgrades also have no downside. I have a Cat rear suspension. I've heard this saves somewhere around 15 lbs...thats great even for trail riding. Less sprung weight makes it ride better. And that it does...I have an incredible cushy ride now, beautiful for a long day of trail riding. This also eliminates the front suspension cornering problem and ski issue. For less than the cost of a new pair of good skis I have a cushy rear suspension that also makes the sled corner very flat, but still has great transfer.

I haven't done any clutching yet, but I keep reading about the improvements in trail performance with a good clutch kit, so it would be a sensible upgrade. Other than that, toss on some bags and head out for a long day or weekend on the trails and have fun.

Jim

It all depends how you ride.... Im an aggressive rider... You sound like a Mild or medium rider...

THe RX-1 has plenty of Charging power... best in the biz..... THe xenon bulbs are way easier to see with.. ITs all about the color of the light... Yellow is hard to see... Bright white is way easier to see... THe bulbs cause nothing to be concerned about... No melting plastic... No melted wires.. AND IM RUNNING THE 80/100s..

While the RX-1 stock will beat most 600,700, and 800s.. it wont run with the F7s or ZR900 or Machs unless modified... (ITS ALL ABOUT WHO YOU RIDE WITH)

If your happy with youir sled the way it is ... LEAVE IT THAT WAY... Its just that some of use cant leave anything alone... Expecially when we know we can make it better than the factory did...

It is all relative. All depends on what makes one happy. Mine is relatively stock. :ORC

welterracer.................................i have to disagree with you on one comment you made......................i raced my friends zr900 and won a few times..........

Both of Mine are stock. its either stock or turbo for me, and i keep blowing cash on my truck so the turbo is getting farther away.

to be honest, i enjoy racing. Ive only raced 3 times, but its fun.

Most deep snow people up here dont want racing performance. They want deep snow performance with good power. My friend with his 800 RMK 159 when asked, said he didnt care how his would do in a race. he told me he bought it for powder performance not racing.

I love performance, but hell in the powder im not going to want to be doing 120. Sidehilling is a 15-20mph task.

I will eventually get the turbo just so i know my sled is king of the mountains, but until then i dont need to jet 120 across powder.

QCRider said:
Tom-RX1 said:
I run mine completely stock and am quite happy with it . Unless you are going to race it all the time i find that the junk sold is just a wast of cash .
Tom-RX1

This has been talked about before. I can understand the desire to get the extra performance, (however small it may be) from the aftermarket stuff. However you are simply pouring cash into a hole, because my experience is that you get nowhere near the value for this stuff when you sell you sled.

I don't disagree, but almost all of my mods will come off when I switch to a newer model. So no big deal. If I would have kept my skid, I could trade it in bone stock. So now when I trade it will have the M10/136. that is also why I used the OEM tunnel extension.

Have 04 RX-1 ER, riding it for the 2nd year now. It is stock except carbides (Bergstrom) and studs (192). It is a blast to drive for normal user like me. Will likely trade for 06, so don't put cash into too many extras. Not particularly interested in pounding myself or the sled to the max, but enjoy high speed river runs WOT. Would like it to have a bit more top end....but not in a panic about it. I just enjoy the mid range pull pull pull!!. The best is: it starts, it runs perfect, you go for 100 km or so, you get home....no trouble. It looks and sounds awesome, and only gets better as the km's (Canada) roll on.

Need for speed!

It's like a drug, eventually you need more of it [acceleration and/or top-end] to get the same high.

The aftermarket is our "pusher", Ha Ha

Back