• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dual rate spring, best solution to cure bottoming?

Nordik

Extreme
My cousin who bought may 06 Attak is very pleased with it, but he would like to cure the botoming while keeping its plushness. He weights 210 undressed.

Is a dual rate spring a better cure than a Yamaha heavier spring? If he cranks the cam over #6 or moves the c-clip, he will loose the plushness.

By the way, on the GT, although I didnt ride a lot this year, the rear suspension seems to offer a better compronise between plushness and bottoming.

Dual rate spring is great,i have mine done with revalve and oil reservoir with hi-lo compression damping... i love it.Give you a plush ride whit anti-bottoming.

I just installed the Hygear dual rate spring with remote reservoir on my RTX. I probably have 300 miles with the setup in some real harsh and smooth trails in the tug-hill. I'm very impressed with this shock and spring package. Ross has hit a home run with this setup! The adjustment in the suspension is incredible. Last year I hated this mono skid!! I weigh 170lbs and needed to install the HD spring to prevent bottoming and still ride aggressive. Even after that the HD spring the sled was marginal at best. I found even with the HD spring and the RA set to hard, I was still getting too much rebound and being sent over the bars in those deep ditches. (obviously this was due to my lower weight and running the HD spring, but this was all I could do to prevent the harsh bottoming). The sled always seemed to get squirrelly when I rode it mildly hard.

I could have tried just a revalve but I read on here that guys have been blowing shocks that have been re-valved. Lets face it that shock is doing double duty in that skid frame. With this dual rate spring and shock valving the sled flat out works!!.

My buddies who hated the mono shock skid last year couldn't believe how much more aggressive you could ride the sled. The biggest improvement is in the moderate to harsh stuff. You can ride it with so much more confidence and not worry about getting rebounded (from the bumpstops)over the bars when you hit a washout. When you do have to check up when you hit that first or second ditch no more of the tail of the sled slapping you side to side in the trail. All I can say is if you ride aggressive and are extremely unhappy with the mono shock performance give it a shot. .

I think the real secret in his package is the dual rate spring compensates for the falling rate suspension design by giving you more progression on the spring. With the remote reservoir he can run more aggressive valving and not worry about shock fade. His remote reservoir has a gas bag , so the shock performance should stay consistent with no emulsion worries. Since your spring rate is progressive the rebound forces are also progressive and controllable in the shock.

You can set this sled up!! Separate high,low speed compression and rebound adjustment makes this the most tunable package out there. You can set the sled up for the high speed stutter bumps and still not sacrifice the large mogul performance. I found I really didn't sacrifice any plushness in the ride at slow speeds. Since the design is a falling rate the initial spring sag is critical to give you the best shock performance. I found you need to get the spring sag measured with all your gear and the extra 30lbs of tunnel ice. Once set up for the correct sag bottoming outs is so seldom, and on the occasion that you do, your not bottoming hard and being sent over the bars. Its very much in control.

Awesome job Ross and HYGEAR, This is how the RTX should have been built. I struggled with the price also, but to see how much better the sled is I can't complain one bit. I'm still in shock at how much better the sled is.

I am thinking of doing this as well. I have the heavier Yamaha spring installed in my 06 RTX. I works well, but the rear does not sag at all. The ride height in the rear makes it tough around the corners.

When you use the dual spring and remote do you not use your RA adjuster anymore?

ROCKRTX said:
Dual rate spring is great,i have mine done with revalve and oil reservoir with hi-lo compression damping... i love it.Give you a plush ride whit anti-bottoming.
How much did hygear charge you to do the mod,and what kind of turn around time did it take them?Sorry i just reread your post,now i see the price,yes there prices are higher than some,but alot of times you get what you pay for.

MyOutdoors

Yes you still have the RA adjuster with the Hygear setup. The kit includes dual springs, remote resevoir with high and low speed compression valving adjustment and you still retain the tunnel RA adjuster for rebound control.

I have been thinking about this setup for some time. I have tried to read as much posted information on HYGEAR setups in general from this site and others. I have spoken to some who have this particular setup in their mono suspended Yamaha. And have visited HYGEARS shop a couple times to convince myself to get it. I still haven't done it yet. One common theme seems that a lot of times his setup is on the stiff side. He seems to market his products to very aggressive riders and that is why i believe many say it is stiff. I understand there are compromises built into every suspension, whether it is from an OEM or an aftermarket company. BUT I want the best of both worlds. Very compliant when on smooth trails and also have the built in capabilities to handle the really rough.

I just need to make up my mind and do it. If anyone else has this setup please post your opinions.

Thanks
Matt

Thanks Matt, it does sound like a good setup, but price seems a little steep...double that price and you could probably get a new air wave rear suspension? Not to hi jack the thread. I'm going to look more into hygear myself. I was bottoming more then usual this weekend which I think was due to snow/ice build up in tunnel causing xtra weight gain.

I just installed the Hygear dual rate spring with remote reservoir on my RTX. I probably have 300 miles with the setup in some real harsh and smooth trails in the tug-hill. I'm very impressed with this shock and spring package. Ross has hit a home run with this setup! The adjustment in the suspension is incredible. Last year I hated this mono skid!! I weigh 170lbs and needed to install the HD spring to prevent bottoming and still ride aggressive. Even after that the HD spring the sled was marginal at best. I found even with the HD spring and the RA set to hard, I was still getting too much rebound and being sent over the bars in those deep ditches. (obviously this was due to my lower weight and running the HD spring, but this was all I could do to prevent the harsh bottoming). The sled always seemed to get squirrelly when I rode it mildly hard.

I could have tried just a revalve but I read on here that guys have been blowing shocks that have been re-valved. Lets face it that shock is doing double duty in that skid frame. With this dual rate spring and shock valving the sled flat out works!!.

My buddies who hated the mono shock skid last year couldn't believe how much more aggressive you could ride the sled. The biggest improvement is in the moderate to harsh stuff. You can ride it with so much more confidence and not worry about getting rebounded (from the bumpstops)over the bars when you hit a washout. When you do have to check up when you hit that first or second ditch no more of the tail of the sled slapping you side to side in the trail. All I can say is if you ride aggressive and are extremely unhappy with the mono shock performance give it a shot. .

I think the real secret in his package is the dual rate spring compensates for the falling rate suspension design by giving you more progression on the spring. With the remote reservoir he can run more aggressive valving and not worry about shock fade. His remote reservoir has a gas bag , so the shock performance should stay consistent with no emulsion worries. Since your spring rate is progressive the rebound forces are also progressive and controllable in the shock.

You can set this sled up!! Separate high,low speed compression and rebound adjustment makes this the most tunable package out there. You can set the sled up for the high speed stutter bumps and still not sacrifice the large mogul performance. I found I really didn't sacrifice any plushness in the ride at slow speeds. Since the design is a falling rate the initial spring sag is critical to give you the best shock performance. I found you need to get the spring sag measured with all your gear and the extra 30lbs of tunnel ice. Once set up for the correct sag bottoming outs is so seldom, and on the occasion that you do, your not bottoming hard and being sent over the bars. Its very much in control.

Awesome job Ross and HYGEAR, This is how the RTX should have been built. I struggled with the price also, but to see how much better the sled is I can't complain one bit. I'm still in shock at how much better the sled is.

What settings did you end up with? I have a dual-rate remote reservoir shock from Hygear as well. I have the sag set, the compression to full soft, the transfer ring about 1/3 the way from the big spring, but I haven't changed the setting on the remote reservoir yet. The setup feels pretty good and I'm 250 with gear. It is crazy how much faster I can take rough trails compared to the stock shock. I am actually find hitting the bumps kinda enjoyable now :)

HyGear ! The best IMO . Set me up and it’s pure awesomeness! I send out every year in summer to fresh things up ! Trails really beat them up ,. Just tell them how you ride and your weight with gear . I told them to set mine up with another 80lb I always take off with a full tank of fuel then there is ice build up that happens .! It’s 1 of the best mods I have done !

HyGear ! The best IMO . Set me up and it’s pure awesomeness! I send out every year in summer to fresh things up ! Trails really beat them up ,. Just tell them how you ride and your weight with gear . I told them to set mine up with another 80lb I always take off with a full tank of fuel then there is ice build up that happens .! It’s 1 of the best mods I have done !

They set the valving to my weight. Compression and rebound I don't believe were set as they came full hard. Even at full soft I haven't been able to get it to bottom out yet I may set the transfer collars all the way against the big spring. I agree though; dual spring is a complete ride changer

They set the valving to my weight. Compression and rebound I don't believe were set as they came full hard. Even at full soft I haven't been able to get it to bottom out yet I may set the transfer collars all the way against the big spring. I agree though; dual spring is a complete ride changer
Setting sag is important!
Carfully what you do ! I believe the springs rates are also different. They really set it up, not just in the valving.

I set the sag at 42.5mm using the procedure in the service manual accounting for my saddle bags, gear, and with a full tank of gas.

Back