• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ECU tuning for MPI Supercharged Nytro

K-fab

Extreme
Website
www.minibuggy.net
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro powered off road car.
I have a 2012 Nytro engine stuck into an off road vehicle. After a good conversation with one of the guys at MPI I was directed towards Evolution Powersports for some ECU help.

Turns out that Evolution is no longer supporting the Nytro programming.

My current setup is for 7 psi of boost - was told by the guy at MPI that this should be good for about 210 hp with 91 octane on a proper tune. My conditions are an average of about 90 degrees, extremely low humidity and about 2000 feet elevation.

Does anyone have any sort of lead on either a used Evolution tuner (programming), or thoughts on who else does ECU tuning? What about a piggy back tuner? I'll have a Lambda sensing circuit in my electronics so tuning can be monitored to a point.

Thoughts and some advice will gladly be taken.

Power Commander is what you want for tuning. Ive never dealt with a supercharged nytro, only turbos, but the stock injectors will be maxed out at about 5-6 psi of boost. Your best bet is a PCV-PTI and the green 430cc injectors if you want to run 7 psi safely. The tune you should be able to get close, but being you're not in a sled, to be the safest you can get the pod-300 and the wideband 2 with the power commander, this will allow you to data log and get the tune pretty close to perfect.

Thanks for the info.
Any idea on where to get this stuff?

I would reccomend buying from one of the performance shops.

If you buy it from Hurricane performance or Ulmer performance, those guy are masters with boosted Yamaha’s. Either one of those guys likely has a baseline fuel map that should work to get you going.

I grabbed a set of 430cc injectors from Ulmer and actually found the PC tuner cheaper at DynoJet.
I have the PCV-PVI, an auto tune and a POD on order from them.

I should be set up to get the whole system dialed in. The more I thought about it, having a one off intake setup, custom (non-exsitant as of now) exhaust system and such, the more it made sense to go this route. The tech I talked to at DynoJet was really helpful.

Quick side note that struck me this afternoon - We worked with Mark Dobeck, the founder of DynoJet, back in the mid 80s when I was involved with AMA Superbike Racing. He would recut the needles in our CV carbs with a small portable lathe to dial them in. Pretty wild to think tuning has gone from modding carb needles to programming it with a computer.

I appreciate the help.

I grabbed a set of 430cc injectors from Ulmer and actually found the PC tuner cheaper at DynoJet.
I have the PCV-PVI, an auto tune and a POD on order from them.

I should be set up to get the whole system dialed in. The more I thought about it, having a one off intake setup, custom (non-exsitant as of now) exhaust system and such, the more it made sense to go this route. The tech I talked to at DynoJet was really helpful.

Quick side note that struck me this afternoon - We worked with Mark Dobeck, the founder of DynoJet, back in the mid 80s when I was involved with AMA Superbike Racing. He would recut the needles in our CV carbs with a small portable lathe to dial them in. Pretty wild to think tuning has gone from modding carb needles to programming it with a computer.

I appreciate the help.

Sounds like you’re on the right track. The pod-300 is awesome. Did ulmer have a map for the power commander for you?

Just a heads up. The auto tune never worked in the sleds, I’m not sure if it was because of exhaust leaks Or what the exact reason why, but it just doesn’t work properly. You still need the auto tune module to see A/F ratio on the gauge and for data logging tho.

Sounds like you’re on the right track. The pod-300 is awesome. Did ulmer have a map for the power commander for you?

Just a heads up. The auto tune never worked in the sleds, I’m not sure if it was because of exhaust leaks Or what the exact reason why, but it just doesn’t work properly. You still need the auto tune module to see A/F ratio on the gauge and for data logging tho.

Could you elaborate on how you know auto tune doesn’t work? I am installing a turbo kit that uses the PCV, auto tune and POD300 system for fuel control and have never heard auto tune doesn’t work until now. Just looking for all the info I can get before I inadvertently ruin my engine!

I actually going to end up with two separate wide band sensors so I think I’ll be able to get things dialed in. One will be for nothing more than a readout on the AiM MXG dash and the other will be with the PC setup.

Being that I’ll be making a custom exhaust, I should be able to eliminate leaks.
Even if the auto tune just gets me close I’ll be happy. I’m willing to invest a bit to avoid a poof-ka-boom and hopefully have some reliability.

Taking a sled engine and putting it in a desert car has some challenges.

Here’s a shot of the project in progress:
IMG1644.jpg

Looks cool.

I was told by many people that the auto tune didn’t work, but I’m stubborn. I tried using it, because it worked for a short ride. But when I left the auto tune enabled for a long ride, it would just keep making the sled run richer untill it would bog at more than half throttle.

The sled won’t start or idle or start even with the 430 injectors on the stock tune. Basically the MAP makes the sled idle and run with the bigger injectors, and then you set how much more % more fuel gets added per psi of boost. Ulmer should have a map that would be close, and you might just have to fine tune a little. I have a 430cc injector map I could probably email if you need. It’s for a turbo, but should be close. Once you get the tune good, it doesn’t need auto tune or anything like that.

Looks cool.

I was told by many people that the auto tune didn’t work, but I’m stubborn. I tried using it, because it worked for a short ride. But when I left the auto tune enabled for a long ride, it would just keep making the sled run richer untill it would bog at more than half throttle.

The sled won’t start or idle or start even with the 430 injectors on the stock tune. Basically the MAP makes the sled idle and run with the bigger injectors, and then you set how much more % more fuel gets added per psi of boost. Ulmer should have a map that would be close, and you might just have to fine tune a little. I have a 430cc injector map I could probably email if you need. It’s for a turbo, but should be close. Once you get the tune good, it doesn’t need auto tune or anything like that.

Good to know... thanks for the info!

If I read correctly you mention being able to enable or disable - how is this done (switch, programmer, ???) and can you do it on the fly?

I’m thinking that I can tune for present conditions, disable and run that mapping if pleased with it. It won’t always be needed.

“Won’t start/idle w/430”
That’s all tuneable with the POD, right?

I have a Evolution powersports ECU programmed for the larger injectors that I purchaesed last year and put about 250 miles on the kit with no issues other than my fuel economy suffered. No longer using the kit due to this reason, only 7 gallon tank. De-tuned the sled back to stock injectors and ECU. Kit is good for 10 + psi boost.
EVO/MPI Safety flash: Safely use Premium pump gas with higher boost levels.
EVO 550cc injector flash with injectors.
Paid $1,250.00 for kit, would sell for half that plus shipping

I appreciate the offer. My box from Dynojet with all the ECU programming and tuning stuff I need showed up late last week. 430cc injectors are on the way too.

Reviving an old thread since my truck is now operational and it's tune time.

Cannot get in touch with MPI - haven't been able to get a call in for, literally, months (had supercharger issues in January and started trying to reach them then).
Have a call into Ulmer Racing but have yet to hear back or have them answer the phone.

Soooo.... Anyone have a supercharged Nytro map for a PCV they'd like to share to get me in the ballpark?

Back