• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

exhaust pipe seals

towing

Expert
I had replaced my 3 exhaust pipe seals in the middle of the last season at around 7500 miles (they were disappeared ).

It work great at first but i begin to hear the same rattle i had (between 5-6000rpm) and motor noise that tell me they are shot again (2500miles since.. )

I had not replace the collars at that time because they were B.O. but i had grind down the stopper on them to ensure they were tight... i suspect that it was not enought...

So i order a set of seals and collar and will do the job again as soon as i will receive them.

I wonder if somebody had try to put high temp rtv gasket seal when installing the new pieces ??? If it can support the high temperature, it will absorb the vibrations and give a longer life to the fix ???? what do you think ???

Permatex Ultra copper is supposed to hold 700 degre C , i think i will try it...

Bye
Alain

..from Towing:
Permatex Ultra copper is supposed to hold 700 degre C

700 C is somewhere close to 1300 F.
The Gen 120 throw out 1390 F about 6" away from your donut, that is, where i located my thermocouples. Now, do what you want.

Have you squeezed the gasket tight with the 3 into 1 piece before installing the collars ?

I am noticing more of an engine rattle in the 6-7k range now. I wonder if mine are going south, too, after 2600 miles. Maybe it is just the Supertip weights?

Back