• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

finally...got the grizz!!

az426

Extreme
well, yesterday i finally took possetion(sp?) of a blue 05' grizzly.got it off ebay thru a minnesota dealer and delivered to az(to my door!).the dealer did all the prep-i added some gas and it fired right up LaLaLa i have this weekend off so might even get to start on that 20 hr break-in :-o we'll give a first ride impression after the maiden voyage.

okay,first report from first day.first of all,i am very use to sport quads and these are very comfy and nice.very nice and smooth ride,its funny because i would tense a bit when hitting uneven terrain and the bike floats over most stuff.maybe its the irs :Rockon: its tough to get used to the engine braking for me,if your not going -your slowing :exc: i have to somehow take it easy for 20 hrs for the proper break-in and thats gonna be tough.the 4wd and the diff lock definately alter the steering input from the rider.cant wait to put some more time on it-man its hot in az already :mad:

Congrats on your new Grizz, i know what you mean about taking it easy! It's not easy. I am still breaking mine in as well, about 5 more hrs to go. I can feel the difference already especially after i did the first oil change. Just follow the manual and before you know it you will be able to give her heck.......Irv

:yam: anybody have any Idea what would be a good set of after market shocks to go with for the grizz. the ones that come on the o5 suck big time, as did the ones on the raptor. I know of almost all the brands out there and i know what they would do and how they would work with the sport quads but I never seen any grizzlys with after market or for that matter any utility quads with after market. I really want to put a good set on to help the handling at speed and to handle the rough riding that i do on the trails (the grizz takes a beating sometime) although i know that what there made for and can handle it i would like to change the shocks so if anyone has some info that can help me or maybe someone has a set of works,peps or elka that can share what they think and how it has changed the handling and over all riding in the trails, how it takes on the head on blows. input please i would like as much input,advise or any opinions on this subject as possible. thanking everone in advance.

Blades
2005 grizzly spiecial editition (black)
26 mudlite
C series #5
HMF

check with Elka shocks,they have a utility shock for these big dogs.stock shocks are usually not the greatest, so an aftermarket shock would probably help.

update at 5.2 hours(47miles).all is going well,15 hrs to go.i think the grizzly needs stronger brakes-seems to be hard to get it to slow down,even with the engine braking.engine seems strong though,i got it up to 46 mph in a short sprint so far. i even let my mother in law drive it-her first atv experience ever at 50 yrs old.

Well az426 you must be quite the maniac? LOL, i found the brakes and engine braking pretty good? When i let off the gas and the engine braking kicks in, it feels like i have thrown out an anchor? Maybe something isn't working right on your bike? If it is under warranty i would take it in. Have you played with your shock settings? I assume you have? I am going to set mine at the 4th setting, some guys told me that it makes a huge difference? I think you may be trying to ride it like a sport quad still? Remember it is a utility quad and remember things will probably get better the more hrs you put on it? Mine seems to be really coming on now that i have changed the oil and i am almost at the full break-in period.......Irv

well Irv,i have to laugh,i have been taking it quite easy during the breakin period.i felt from the first time i rode it i felt that the brakes didnt seem like they were very good,i have to grab both levers and squeeze pretty good-even with the engine braking :(

the dirtwheels test of the 05'grizzly says the exact same thing.i have tons of seat time on bikes and atvs and i agree with dirtwheels-maybe it'll get better as they "seat-in".

as for the shocks ,i was responding to blades question about aftermarket shocks....the stockers should do me just fine :D

anyways i have over 6 hrs now,i'll keep at it.i let a friend ride it-he has an 2000 honda foreman 4x4.he coudnt believe how nice it was in all catagories in comparison :yam:

ya the brakes are a bit weak. especially the front. you have to really squeeze hard to get to lock up in hard ground . but it got better after it broke in.

I've got 4 hrs. on my new 05 Grizzly and have to agree about the brakes especially the front not doing its job all that well...
I am coming off of a 2000 Grizzly and so far I am happy with the switch to the 05. Dont get me wrong, the 2000 was a great quad with lots of power but the 05 has so much more to offer plus it handles much better than the older style.....
The speedometer is off by about 5 mph according to my GPS....drf

Congrats on the new machines guys.

Just dont forget to adjust those valves after break in. If you want to see a change in your machine, adjust those valves. And dont put Synthetic in them till after 20 to 25 hours.

Once you get those stock pads worn out, go with something like EBC or SBS, they will have a better grip. I also noticed with my it takes sometime for the brakes to actually break in. The more dirt and sand you ride will get them broke in faster.

I've got 2100 miles on mine with 200 hours, with now major problems with mine. The key to these yamaha's are maintenance. IF you take care of it, this thing will take all kinds of abuse. Trust me I know I ride mine like I stole it everytime. But I'm always keeping it clean, greasing it, and changing out the diff's after riding in water.

Good luck to you guys, ride safe

Back