• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Flotation plates

the only issue i've notice from some that I've seen is snow packing up in it under the a-arms.

you'll want to drill holes in the bottom of it because water gets caught in there and freezes, and breaks everything up.

do any of you guys have a flotation plate on your sleds? good idea with the holes on the bottom i will do that if i find water accumulates

thanks

Good idea on the holes as well. Just enough to drain any melting ice and snow.

I'm going to install the smaller one this week on my FX to protect it a bit. That layer may be just enough to protect from some small stumps and rocks.

I've got the smaller one, its great for taking any hits from stumps,rocks,etc... I need to take it all off again though to drill the holes because it did some damage last season. Adequate protection for the money.

The Yamaha motors site leads me to beleive that the plate is ment for improve flotation in the snow, many of you are refering to the protection, are we talking about the same product?

PattyJack said:
No I am referring to http://yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/accessory_details.php?item=1621&group=S&model=3143
It is cheaper, and for the money it is almost up to par with the flotation plate. I added the flotation of the A-arm guards also.
http://yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/accessory_details.php?item=3181&group=S&model=3143

I found a rock the hard way 2 seasons ago, had to replace my a-arm and un bend my sway bar bracket. :o| Im defanetly investing in the big skid plate this year. Are the a-arm protectors worth the money for the protection they give? or are they more of a deep snow thing.

I put on the yamaha floatation skid plate and sport bumper this time last year. It was a great choice.
Previously I found that I was plowing more snow than anything, now my front end actually stays on top. It really helped in the deaper snow while carving. The sled had a tenency to dive into the corners, not anymore.
I also hit some good stumps last year... glad I had the skid plate.
Putting a few holes in it is a good idea, I will have to do that this year. I always had ice build up in there.

I had bought the a-arm protectors at the same time but wasnt able to put them on along with the floatation skid plate. Both overlaped near the sway bar.
However, I wouldnt be looking at the a-arm protectors to protect anything to much. it covers the bottom of the bottom a-arm.. (including the sway bar) thats it. It wont protect against hitting anything head on.. or a large stump. Its more for floatation than anything.

That's the post I was looking for thanks monsy and to everyone else

Back