• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fuel Injector Cleaner

Venomous

Has anyone added STP fuel injector cleaner to their fuel? I have been thinking about using it to clean out the injectors as more of a preventative measure every few tanks. Thanks.

I am speaking from the advice my AUTOMOBILE GURU gave to me:

STP is crap. "Snakeoil" in a plastic bottle.
Chevron Techron is the way to go.

I do not have any experience using this in the snowmobile injection system but reading the bottle it seems to be safe to use.

PS Not sure why you think you need it. Cars generally go 30K prior to recommended cleaning. If you drained fuel for summer layup, I would rather run some SeaFoam occasionally(?)

- Just my $.02 :yam:

Thanks VT.

Not really sure I need it but just wondered if it would be good to use as a preventative measure to keep the injectors clean.

Thanks again for the feedback.

i agree its fine to use...not sure if 100% NEEDED but im also abit of a fanatic for detail...and feel it cannot HURT to throw some in at beginning of season...after all these thing sitting all summer,even with fuel drained down low there may be some crap builtup on injector...

IMO go for it.....I just buy motomaster,or whatevers cheap....most all have same main ingredients.

dan

Have you tried Seafoam?? I have used it for years in everything from my lawnmower to my boat, it cleans and stabalizes.

DUPPYPOG

I have not tried seafoam and have never heard of it until now.

Thanks all for the feedback.

VT_BluYamaha54 said:

STP is crap??? What kind of GURU is he???

I doubt injector cleaner is a big secret...I'm sure they're all the same. I used STP at the start of every season in my EFI Cats, just some in the first tank. Not sure if it was needed or helped, but I never had a motor issue in 20000+ miles using it.

I would not bother running it in every few tanks, IMO.

ZR800EFI said:
VT_BluYamaha54 said:

STP is crap??? What kind of GURU is he???

I doubt injector cleaner is a big secret...I'm sure they're all the same. I used STP at the start of every season in my EFI Cats, just some in the first tank. Not sure if it was needed or helped, but I never had a motor issue in 20000+ miles using it.

I would not bother running it in every few tanks, IMO.

I have used STP for years with no problem. I always use a bottle every year my first ride just to clean things out. I think it probly helps,but I am no GURU

after being on the bench for 15 years.

i would be carfull to use any fuel injected cleaner..

be very carefull they do not react to plastic... when i was a auto mech, i have seen them melt the inner plastic liner of the fuel tank... and cause lots and lots of problems for the customer.

saw that 10-12 times over my career, all the people were doing was tying to matian there vehical.

thats my 02 cents anyhow!

cheers

Back