• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Getting unstuck with the VK Pro

VKbcnorth

Extreme
I've been stuck with our VK Pro many times. I've learned what to do and what not to do the hard way.
I don't usually get stuck in untracked snow unless the track sinks so low that the foot boards hang up and stop the machine. Most of the time, the machine slides off a packed trail and is tipped on its side. One ski is up on the packed trail and the other ski is buried in some soft snow. If the angle is 10 degrees or less, I can swing to the opposite side using the mountain strap, apply power and drive out. If the angle is more than 10 degrees, the track is no longer floating on the snow. Apply power and you can dig the machine all the way down to the ground as dirt and pine cones rooster tail to the rear. Once the track is completely buried, it can freeze into a solid block of snow in a matter of minutes. Then the track will not turn until all the snow has been cleared out of the suspension - a lot of work down in a hole.

Here's the key to happiness. Never, never, never ever spin the track when the VK Pro is stuck. As soon as you lose the fight to stay upright and the machine settles into the snow at an angle, shut the machine off. You are not going anywhere until the machine is within 10 degrees of level. Use your trusty shovel and dig under the high side of the track so the track has room to settle back to level. Dig under the ski on the high side so that it too can settle back closer to level. Shovel the snow away from the hood on the low side and along the foot board. Then shovel out under the nose so that there is no snow in front of the machine. Walk around in front of the machine and pack the snow for about 15 feet. Stand on the foot board on the high side and bounce up and down until the machine settles back close to level.

Start the machine and drive straight ahead. You're free! Usually it takes about 10 minutes to get unstuck and the hardest work is shovelling snow. Don't even try to lift the rear of the VK Pro while standing on soft snow. Try it and you will be both stuck and suffering from a strained back. I've tried a hand winch but it could not pull the machine up and out of the hole. Your shovel is your best friend, never leave home without it.

Great tips VKbcnorth!

One other question - how/when do you use reverse to help in getting unstuck?

I've gotten stuck many times while grooming with my VK and I agree there is no way to move the sled.

My other tip is that I stop or change directions the instant I feel I'm about to loose it off the side of a trail. The problem is about 6 hours into a grooming run my senses aren't that sharp and that is when I usually get stuck.

I've never had success with reversing to get unstuck. If the VK Pro is tilted more than 10 degrees, the track has no traction forward or backward. Reverse is handy to back straight down a hill but the machine is still level in that case.

I agree air19, sometimes it takes a split second too long to swing your leg over the seat and save the day.

I agree about the shovel being the best thing in the world to take with you. I started carrying one with me on the Nytro, and I can believe how much I use it. No more kicking away snow, or pawing at it and ending up with soaking wet gloves.

There's another reason I use my shovel so much. I'm no longer worried about getting stuck by myself, so I'll venture places where I know I'm likely to get stuck, just to see if I can make it. Anyone who likes to go exploring off the beaten path should have one, they're a game changer for sure.

I have also been stuck plenty of times. I concur with the shovel and leveling tips! However, I have been known to use the reverse to back up a bit (once level has been re-established). I have also been known to roll the beast over on it's side FURTHER, to allow me to pack good hard snow underneath/ and or trench out and pack to allow a good firm surface when you do roll it back level. Always a chore and to be avoided if possible. I second the never evers about attempting to lift. I have also been known to carry a high lift truck jack on the cargo sled. One can jack the rear end up and pack snow underneath when all else seems hopeless. I always carry the shovel, and a survival/lunch/alternate travel (skis) kit, just in case!

Back