• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GM 2.7L turbo towing

PAvector

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha SR Viper
Anyone towing an enclosed 4 sled trailer with this engine. With only a 24 gallon tank what the fuel range and MPG is towing.

I saw a commercial of it pulling a huge Airstream trailer uphill with confidence inspiring background music.
Must be good.

Joking aside I don't know for sure. They are asking a lot from an engine that size and only four cylinders.
I still drive my 2011 Ford 3.5 turbo that I bought new and tuned the first year. It has about 395HP.
It amazes me the nice broad power it has, I have yet to be beaten by any of the V-8's but the Chev 6.2 comes close.
The advantage of a boosted 6 cylinder is more cylinders to disperse heat and a smaller bore for less risk of deto.
The new Dodge inline 6 is putting up some big numbers, but I read the higher output version requires premium.

I own one. It’s just a soccer mom truck for the wife. I was told it would pull my 4 place no problem but I doubt that. This thing is a dog that struggles going up hill. Not to mention it sounds like my daughter’s Chevy trax. Practically same engine. Haha! But it’s a lease and I may do it. If it blows up no biggie. If I was to buy I would not get one. I kept my v8 for this very reason.

Joking aside I don't know for sure. They are asking a lot from an engine that size and only four cylinders.
I still drive my 2011 Ford 3.5 turbo that I bought new and tuned the first year. It has about 395HP.
It amazes me the nice broad power it has, I have yet to be beaten by any of the V-8's but the Chev 6.2 comes close.
The advantage of a boosted 6 cylinder is more cylinders to disperse heat and a smaller bore for less risk of deto.
The new Dodge inline 6 is putting up some big numbers, but I read the higher output version requires premium.
I’ve driven that little four banger turbo a little and it would struggle with a 2-place enclosed if you threw a decent hill in front of it.
I’m on the 2nd winter with my 3.5 Ecoboom after almost 20 years of GM V8 trucks. I’ve been totally blown away with the amount of power available just off idle all the way through the power band. I never had a lot bad to say about my GM trucks power train wise, but this F150 I’m driving now is from a different planet. Yes, it’s that much better.

Last edited:
I’ve driven that little four banger turbo a little and it would struggle with a 2-place enclosed if you threw a decent hill in front of it.
I’m on the 2nd winter with my 3.5 Ecoboom after almost 20 years of GM V8 trucks. I’ve been totally blown away with the amount of power available just off idle all the way through the power band. I never had a lot bad to say about my GM trucks power train wise, but this F150 I’m driving now is from a different planet. Yes, it’s that much better.
It's kind of fun taking off from traffic lights being able to break the back tires loose AFTER the truck is already rolling.
Leaving a pair of blacks strips muscle car style.

I have only pulled a two place with mine, tows better than my 5.3 6 speed Chevy did. I got about 12MPG with a lot of up and down hills from Boston to Moosehead in Maine, 275 miles or so. A 4 place would add 2000lbs or so and no more drag. I don't think it would be an issue at all.

Back