• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Good artical in Snowest about Yamahas and Slide wear..

welterracer

TY 4 Stroke God
There is no way for me to type out the whole deal (as it was 4 pages long)

BUt basically, it says that the reasons why yamaha sleds wear slides quicker than OLDER models is..

#1 Higher HP

#2 Taller lug tracks(taller lugs keep the suspension out of the snow)

#3 Suspension setup

#4 Weight of rider

#5 Conditons of snow

#6 Higher average speeds!

#7 Aftermarket parts IE clutch kits, studs, and increasing HP(cause more force on the track which in turn causes more heat and wear on the slides)

#8 each manufacture has different goals that todays sleds are designed to achieve.

They also noted that the fastest skid frames use the least wheels!

I disagree with most of this.
Maybe yes to #3, but that's it.

My ZR9 would not use the hyfax at all. Same for the other Cats I've had in recent years. All original hyfax when I traded them, and I wouldn't even think of changing them out for new as there were barely any signs of wear.

ZR9 currently has 2100 miles
F7 had 7600
ZR8 had 5700
ZR6 had 5000

Sorry, I should note that the other items may very well be a factor, but not in my case as snow conditions I ride in are pretty much the same, the last 3-sleds have been minimum 1" tracks, HP is not far off on my last few sleds, and the way I ride and aftermarket stuff I put on is no different -- I actually have less on the Apex, only studded so far. And on longer rides, less weight being carried as I always had to lug quarts of oil around before.

....the fastest skid frames use the least wheels...

That might be the case in deep powder but not in all conditions would you think?

It's true, in general, more wheels = lower top speed. NOTE TOP speed. On shorter runs many other factors come in to play.

Also, oversize wheels make this worse in addition to being harder on the reinforcement bars inside the track. Each time the fiberglass bars have to ride up over the wheel, the bar bends and more load is being applied to the bar at the small surface area of the wheel. You can imagine the more the wheel protrudes below the hyfax the more load is applied at the wheel. This is tough on the fiberglass bar and scrubs track speed.

I'd agree with #2 (Taller lug tracks) to an extent, and #8 (each manufacture has different goals that todays sleds are designed to achieve) as being relative to the high slider wear issue. All the other reasons/causes have been around for years, and affects all sleds and not just Yamahas IMO.

I can understand a taller lugged track (a more recent occurence nowadays) on a groomed trail causing more slider wear, as that does make sense.

As for #8, I feel Yammy should redesign their skids (as in the case of 2007 Ventures) for less slider wear. This is where the cause lies I believe.

I disagree. That list is too generic and could be applied to any sled. Did the article say anything specific to Yamaha.

I concur. I think it is a design flaw. The taller lug should have nothing to do with it. We are not riding on concrete, we are riding at nearly 700-800 pounds with rider+sled on snow. The lugs are penetrating the snow with all that weight and allowing contact to the sliders... Only thing I would agree with is snow depths or surfaces without lubrication, which all sleds fall victim to.

By the way has anyone tried the expensive slippery/ graphite sliders as replacements with better wear?

Attachments

• 1st reinforcement.JPG
    1st reinforcement.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 135
Swiss Sledder said:
I disagree. That list is too generic and could be applied to any sled. Did the article say anything specific to Yamaha.

These were for yamaha,, and the questions were answered by yamaha designers..

They claim that the design has to do with why they slides where.. Even though other brands have little to no wear and ride as good or better..

Thanks for the clarification Brian. Not really for you to answer but this is why I don't understand what has been reported.

#1 Higher HP: MachZ has higher HP but longer hyfax wear

#2 Taller lug tracks(taller lugs keep the suspension out of the snow) The other 3 use similar lug height but hyfax last longer

#3 Suspension setup Then set up the sleds right for hyfax wear or tell the customers what to do

#4 Weight of rider Fat guys ride AC, Poo, and Ski-Do sleds and their hyfax lasts longer than skinny guys on Yamaha

#5 Conditons of snow Other sleds seem OK so why just Yamaha under the same conditions

#6 Higher average speeds! Yeah, our sleds are fast but not 20 mph faster

#7 Aftermarket parts IE clutch kits, studs, and increasing HP(cause more force on the track which in turn causes more heat and wear on the slides) Yeah but similar mods are made to the other 3 and hyfax wear seems a lot less than on Yamaha

#8 each manufacture has different goals that todays sleds are designed to achieve. Only one that seem specific to Yamaha. More more hyfax sales? Just kidding

Does the mono wear slides worse then the proaction?

I've never had a hyfax issue but I haven't run my mono yet. This list really just states why any hyfax would wear Yamaha or not...

Yamaha needs to make a better quality slide plain and simple. My old doo had the original slides on it and it was 12 years old when I got rid of it and I bought it second hand.

DoktorC said:
Does the mono wear slides worse then the proaction?

I've never had a hyfax issue but I haven't run my mono yet. This list really just states why any hyfax would wear Yamaha or not...

With my old proaction skid, I used to have to chance slides every 1000km.

I like a lot of weight transfer and the sliders used to wear at the front of the rails.

With the Mono, the slides last a lot longer for me. The slides wear at the back rather than then front rails.

Open up the windows slightly with a dremel

install SLP wear pads in the closed windows

install SkiDoo bogey wheels

the above is what works for me

other than the fact that yamaha could use a slightly bigger wheel stock, I dont see how they are much different than the other 3

Back