• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GSE Performance add on eps

Fords4life

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 riot 9000 & 2017 sw rtx
Thought i would give my assesment of gse virsus factory eps, i have put on around 500 miles on my 2024 zr9000rr this season with factory eps, recently i installed the gse kit on my 2017 sidewinder rtx, the gse kit is WOW! in a good way i prefer it over the factory eps, if you are a "Spirited rider" like me you will appreciate the gse kit with its constant rate power assit, examples higher speeds comming into a corner wieght transfers to the front end you still have full power assist unlike factory which has reduced assist, next thing at faster speeds i noticed with factory eps is get a ski locked into a ski rut and its hard to pull it out because of reduced power assist, with gse kit no big deal turn right out of rut, both eps systems are God sends to us i just prefer the gse, wish i would have done the gse kit before dumping 22 grand for a new sled with eps, what i'm saying is if you have a good sidewinder or 9000 cat with out eps maybe consider putting a few bucks into the eps from gse instead of spending big bucks for BNG!! The kit is very complete and easy to install with its paper full color instructions...yes i said paper! Fit and finish are factory like, very very nice kit, and no issues of any kind of "slop" in steering.

Thank you for your honest report and feedback. I have been considering going on way or another with power steering myself. I have WAY too much money in my 17 to start over with a new sled, so I'm very interested in your GSE report. I also have an older car (1970) with power steering that doesn't reduce with speed. I much prefer the full power steering feel over any new car today. What you say makes total sense to me.

Being that you have both in the stable, this says a lot.
I was always a little skeptical (surprise surprise) of the lack of feeling and/or input needed, during higher speed (too loose)
I will take a serious look at this Fords4life, as I'll need to do something in the very near future.
Like Clintww stated. I've got a low mileage unit that runs flawless. Hate to exchange it up when there's a chance I could have updated it for less.
Thank you!

Last edited:
The used 2017 sidewinder I bought this fall has the GSE installed which is why I decided to buy it. unfortunately with this shitty winter I’ve only put on a couple hundred km’s so far after doing all the updates. I need to get a lot more weight on the front for sure. Compared to my eps on the apex (which now has 32000km’s) like mentioned above there is no effort no matter what speed, very light so light that you forget to hold tightly in the routs so it could surprise you if you’re not paying attention and even throw you off or flip the machine over. I was use to my apex and that’s the reason why the factory unit has less PS at higher speeds. Other then that it’s unbelievable how light it feels. I traded my son for the apex and two other non eps sidewinders I was with and there was no comparison. I think I’m going to like the GSE unit after I get the it front end to handle the way I like.

The used 2017 sidewinder I bought this fall has the GSE installed which is why I decided to buy it. unfortunately with this shitty winter I’ve only put on a couple hundred km’s so far after doing all the updates. I need to get a lot more weight on the front for sure. Compared to my eps on the apex (which now has 32000km’s) like mentioned above there is no effort no matter what speed, very light so light that you forget to hold tightly in the routs so it could surprise you if you’re not paying attention and even throw you off or flip the machine over. I was use to my apex and that’s the reason why the factory unit has less PS at higher speeds. Other then that it’s unbelievable how light it feels. I traded my son for the apex and two other non eps sidewinders I was with and there was no comparison. I think I’m going to like the GSE unit after I get the it front end to handle the way I like.
Curious to know where your limiter straps & spring preloads are at? Wondering if there's something suspension wise that can be adjusted to fit our individual needs?!?!
This has always been my concern with gse kit.
Maybe GSE should allow for ratio changes? Idk, how it works?!?!

Curious to know where your limiter straps & spring preloads are at? Wondering if there's something suspension wise that can be adjusted to fit our individual needs?!?!
Sure is Doc, I'm set so different than most. Front shocks preload is just enough to hold the spring in and center shock the same way but not until I have pulled the limiter strap up. I don't know where the factory strap would really land as I use the Trac link adjustable limiter strap but if I were to guess at least 2 holes from stock. It should also be noted that I run Elka dual rate springs in the front and center shocks. Stock springs will vary greatly on this set up.

Sure is Doc, I'm set so different than most. Front shocks preload is just enough to hold the spring in and center shock the same way but not until I have pulled the limiter strap up. I don't know where the factory strap would really land as I use the Trac link adjustable limiter strap but if I were to guess at least 2 holes from stock. It should also be noted that I run Elka dual rate springs in the front and center shocks. Stock springs will vary greatly on this set up.
Good information, Denny!
Trac link set up is a great add on to produce the results to suit individuals needs.
How long have you been using GSE kit?

Set up is key to any thing handeling proper car, truck, motorcycle, snowmobile, ect...and the "NUT" behind the wheel or in our case the bars, remember the days of the ford bronco 2?? Got tagged as easy to tip over...no folks its just the drivers over reacting same would be true with constant rate eps, smooth and steady input from us and no trouble's, anyway heres my set up that works well so far with gse eps, 2021 srx front springs on 2018 fox qs3 shocks set with one round of preload to keep springs seated clicker on 2, center skid shock spring i believe is cat 90/260lbs set with again 1 round of preload to keep spring seated and rear torsion spring @ 2or3 depending on mogul size of the day, i use the 4 position alum blocks from yamaha, and my weight around 220lbs dressed, and limiter strap 2nd hole from full length, toe on ski's set on ground natural set of sled with bungie cord pulling tip of ski's together with 0 toe in or out, release the bungie cord and you will naturelly have a tad toe out..2017 r-tx se 129 inch with stk 1.25 inch track and trail studs, factory skis's 6inch carbide with homemade .125inch ski shim between rear bottom of spindle and ski saddle rubber, works well for me!

Set up is key to any thing handeling proper car, truck, motorcycle, snowmobile, ect...and the "NUT" behind the wheel or in our case the bars, remember the days of the ford bronco 2?? Got tagged as easy to tip over...no folks its just the drivers over reacting same would be true with constant rate eps, smooth and steady input from us and no trouble's, anyway heres my set up that works well so far with gse eps, 2021 srx front springs on 2018 fox qs3 shocks set with one round of preload to keep springs seated clicker on 2, center skid shock spring i believe is cat 90/260lbs set with again 1 round of preload to keep spring seated and rear torsion spring @ 2or3 depending on mogul size of the day, i use the 4 position alum blocks from yamaha, and my weight around 220lbs dressed, and limiter strap 2nd hole from full length, toe on ski's set on ground natural set of sled with bungie cord pulling tip of ski's together with 0 toe in or out, release the bungie cord and you will naturelly have a tad toe out..2017 r-tx se 129 inch with stk 1.25 inch track and trail studs, factory skis's 6inch carbide with homemade .125inch ski shim between rear bottom of spindle and ski saddle rubber, works well for me!
My God, man...do you have a ramp at the end of your bed?!?! Hahaha!! I should just drop my sled off at your place.
Responder had me thinking about sled steering being way too loose, and there had to be a way to adjust the Suspension/P.S. to match your Particular riding style.
Trac link is nice for quick adj. of the limiter strap In different situations. Less then a hundo.
Its like you say....its something to get used to & the input required is constant.
Good read, fords4life!
Except for the part about the Broncos II, but none of us are perfect. Lol.

This has always been my concern with gse kit.
Maybe GSE should allow for ratio changes? Idk, how it works?!?!
Right now I’ve got the limiter strap on the 3rd hole. It was on the 2nd. I backed off the spring preload as well. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet since these small changes. Still trying to figure out the front fox floats with the hygear piggy back. Wish it had qs3’s all around instead. I might just go to that later. The previous owner also added taller spindles, not sure why. I do have the originals as well so might switch them back. I’ve got a lot of trail and error to do until I get where I like it. Quality isn’t the same as my apex thou but not too bad.

I've had both, and for my style of riding, there's no comparison factory vs GSE. Factory much better with the variable speed assist. Also, had some controller failures on the GSE after about 500 miles, twice. Factory power steering unit much beefier in design, but lighter in weight. JMHO.

How long have you been using GSE kit?
Well, that's the thing Doc, I don't have a GSE kit. I wrestled with that purchase for years, comments regarding bad units, loose/play in the bars held me back from purchasing one. I also didn't like full assist all the time, at 100 mph+ it kinda scared me. So, I went to work on suspension set up. Now my sled is so well set up, its balance is perfect. Does not nosedive when letting off the gas or hitting the brakes. Steering effort is super easy.
Fords is very similar in set up. I'm running curves with Bergstrom 8" triple points and a 1/4" shim on the back saddle. My shocks are QS3r's with the fronts revalved so now all 3 settings are usable, and I had the rear shock rebound sped up (it's too slow stock). Also replaced the center shock with an Elka stage 4 for 2 reasons, the stock QS3 does not have rebound and the kashima coating wears off from the cross over collar on a dual rate spring set up. Now I'm really leaning towards the factory EPS set up as I'm 62 and it would be nice but I'm telling you get your sled set up properly first. The ride quality and handling will be so much better when done right and then adding EPS will be icing on the cake.

I have tried this kit with vary'n conditions from worst case snow to good snow and every thing inbetween, from 5mph to 120plus mph (speedo) and not once did it give me a scare, but then again i dont scare easly...lol

Well, that's the thing Doc, I don't have a GSE kit. I wrestled with that purchase for years, comments regarding bad units, loose/play in the bars held me back from purchasing one. I also didn't like full assist all the time, at 100 mph+ it kinda scared me. So, I went to work on suspension set up. Now my sled is so well set up, its balance is perfect. Does not nosedive when letting off the gas or hitting the brakes. Steering effort is super easy.
Fords is very similar in set up. I'm running curves with Bergstrom 8" triple points and a 1/4" shim on the back saddle. My shocks are QS3r's with the fronts revalved so now all 3 settings are usable, and I had the rear shock rebound sped up (it's too slow stock). Also replaced the center shock with an Elka stage 4 for 2 reasons, the stock QS3 does not have rebound and the kashima coating wears off from the cross over collar on a dual rate spring set up. Now I'm really leaning towards the factory EPS set up as I'm 62 and it would be nice but I'm telling you get your sled set up properly first. The ride quality and handling will be so much better when done right and then adding EPS will be icing on the cake.
Well said, get the sled set up well for you, then add the eps as i did.

Back