• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Has anyone raced a ski-doo ???

If I'm not mistaken that is an Apex? What does that halfto do with a nytro besides an apex will beat a nyto on top end? When my sled had just exhaust, air box mod, fuel programmer, clutching, and track the apex did not measure up? nor did any other doo on the lake! Wish I would have had some video but I dont. :jump:

taz1 said:
Hi i was wondering if anyone raced a new ski-doo 800 e-tec??? And if so how did you match up and what do you have for mods??? thanks

You are going to get killed...

Schlorven said:

You know... when I watch that video, it always seems like they race the guy that has no clue what they are doing as far as setup. That Apex just does not come out of the hole. My Apex would would not keep the skis on the ground for a 1000feet when I drag raced, especially right out of the hole. It was just a monster out of the hole...

Reguardless the etec would still win. I just don't think by that much.

Hey sledfreak, 1000 ft. Maybe. 2000ft ok. But this is northern Ontario and we race to the other side of the lake (dont you?) and I always win cause the 2 strokes can't hold her open that long but sometimes they try but go BOOM, Last year I towed out 2 800xp and one firecat and a t660

It's funny cause they all look to the Yamaha to tow them home. Undisputed king of bringing the junk home. Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lorAA1sNrDY

This is just the standard 800r backcountry. I think it depends on what your racing. The nytro is stock except backcountry track. The 800r is stock.

When I raced this 800r it was not even close as I just had the ripsaw and I could never hook up and he would pass me like I was standing still. So the track makes a huge difference.

Look at the Amsnow shootout results. The Apex ran a faster top speed in the 1/4 than everything but the Etec, and even then it was only 1 mph less! Same story for ET, only a tenth slower!

On the trail, that is considered the same performance.

I can't explain why physics is not honored in these results.

I raced my buds 2011 adrenalne 800 etec (no studs)which had 70mi on the motor with my stock 06 Apex GT (3300mi) 196 studs. I was suprised to see that etec hook and go so well! I had one race where I was neck and neck but he was starting to go by at the finish. Beat me by foot and a half. However, each time he had to get out of the throttle as he went left out of the hole. We only went at it three times and I had the transfer rod in the middle for one of them. They are fast and it's not even broken in yet. Snow conditions were not the best for having studs but not the worst either. I have to look into the clutch as I dont think I'm hitting 10,500 rpms. I will give it another try next week.

I raced my buddies 08 xp p tek 800 this past weekend many times and rode it too. I really didn't know what to expect but I wanted to find out for myself and not just read about it on here. I have a 08 nytro rtx and the only mod i have is plugs. He has a can and a 1.5 track and I think he is geared down too. Conditions were warm (30 degrees) and soft. First off it's not really a race, don't kid yourselves. He would pass me with the skis in the air pretty much every time. I would get him on the hole shot just about every time or if we did a rolling start, I would pull him for a bit till he would get wound up then he would go by. But overall he would pull me about 2 or 3 sleds depending on how much traction I could get and how straight we both launched off the line haha. But for a "600" class sled, I think it gave him a good run for his money and was pretty happy with the outcome even though I wish it was closer :o|.

We did switch for a few stop signs too, and he was the one that wanted to ride mine haha. To start off with, first impression was WEIRD. That is coming off my nytro. The seat felt really fat, the bars too low, and the motor had zero torque. And he was telling me all morning how tight of a grip you have to ride it.........hahhahahahaha. Not so much, you do have to control the transfer though. Which that sled loves to do, put the skis in the air and hold them there until you are to a corner or letting off the gas. The sled handled very well, no darting, easy steering, and of course it felt really light. But man it felt really small and kinda flimsy coming off my nytro. I just felt way to big for the sled and I'm 6'3. Riding it and I was hammering it too, it really didn't feel all that fast. I think its the way the power comes on and its just so different power compared to the 4 stroke.

Trail riding: We rode most of the day in tight and twisty trails with farm fields connecting them. We switched off leading every once and a while. It was a very fast pace ride, and I mean if your not pinned everywhere you would get left behind pretty quick. I feel I have my nytro set up pretty well, and who every would lead would pull a lead on the other one. Not going to lie but it was a handful keeping up the the xp in the tight stuff. Not saying it can't be done but you better be on your A game for sure! I think that had a lot to do with snow dust and visibility being the second rider in line.

Overall I held my own in the tight trails were I have read on here that people just get dusted in the tight stuff by the doo's. As far as the racing goes, I can't see that much fluctuation like i've been reading on here. Unless they are modded, not input on racing a modded nytro. Like I said earlier, he would pull me every time. Unless my sled is a dog, I can't see other similar sleds doing much better then mine against the 800 p tek. Just my honest opinion and I still love my nytro ;)!

I raced a 2010 800 p-tek last weekend. Several times in the UP and on the lake.
I could pull him from the start until about 70 or so. Then he would blow by me. If he got the launch, I could stay with him until 70 or so.

I did ride it and it doesn't seem all that fast on the low end. But the mid range power is pretty good.

Sleds: My 2008 nytro, Ulmer clutch kit and no studs.

2010 800 P-tek Renegade, all stock

Back