• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Headlight POD keeps breaking

camoman

Extreme
Website
www.trackshare.com
I can't seem to repair my headlight pod and keep it from snapping the tabs off. I have tried reinforcing it with TECH Steel (hard putty like steel) but it sees when I hit some good moguls she breaks the tabs off! I ended up tie straping the thing down on the trail and they actually held pretty good. I'm thinking of a combo of fixing the tabs again and tie strapping it down??

Has anyone found a good fix for this? I can't be the only one with this issue.

Found this from another post.. think I will try it!

t_repair_to_light_643.jpeg

Both my tabs ended up breaking on their own so I drilled a 3/8" hole and put alluminum tape around it then used zip-ties to hold it back in place. I was never able to keep the tabs from breaking but now that I have it zip tied inplace I haven't had any problems. The only shitty thing is having to get new tie straps everytime you take the headlight off and only being able to use my low beams because my brights are shooting to the trees looking for coons!

l used a block of plastic, I cut it so it fit inside the upper and lower flange part , used self tapping screws on the top, bottom and front, drilled a hole and used a wood screw to tighten pod to mount. l guess i should take a pic, because it seems hard to explain. but real easy and has lasted 3 yrs now with no problems.

l used a block of plastic, I cut it so it fit inside the upper and lower flange part , used self tapping screws on the top, bottom and front, drilled a hole and used a wood screw to tighten pod to mount. l guess i should take a pic, because it seems hard to explain. but real easy and has lasted 3 yrs now with no problems.

One of mine broke. The Yamaha YES Warranty covered it no questions asked.

headlight fix

pics, hopes this helps.

Attachments

• headlight pod fix 003.JPG
    headlight pod fix 003.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 101
  • headlight pod fix 004.JPG
    headlight pod fix 004.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 104
  • headlight pod fix 009.JPG
    headlight pod fix 009.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 106
  • headlight pod fix 013.JPG
    headlight pod fix 013.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 103
sledneck22 said:
Both my tabs ended up breaking on their own so I drilled a 3/8" hole and put alluminum tape around it then used zip-ties to hold it back in place. I was never able to keep the tabs from breaking but now that I have it zip tied inplace I haven't had any problems. The only shitty thing is having to get new tie straps everytime you take the headlight off and only being able to use my low beams because my brights are shooting to the trees looking for coons!

I also drilled holes and zip tied it. The best fix so far for me. When you have to remove the headlight pod, keep it zip tied and remove the whole bracket. Just 4 screws.

Careful with how tight you tighten the two bolts down. The headlight assembly moves quite a bit as the bracket it slides onto is flexible.

I have found that by making sure the bolts are just lightly tightened the tabs will last. Not sure if this allows a little more give or what, but I have not broken any tabs since.

headlight fix

I re-enforced mine with 1/8 in aluminum and used rivits and 2 stage epoxy worked great . wish i had pictures to show next time i take off I will post. both sides broke off fixed them both

Re: headlight fix

Sportfury said:
I re-enforced mine with 1/8 in aluminum and used rivits and 2 stage epoxy worked great . wish i had pictures to show next time i take off I will post. both sides broke off fixed them both

I ended up doing something very similar. I used 1/4" wall 1/2" steel flat bar , bent to fit , riveted it in and then used jbweld as well. I tapped the holes right into the steel bracket so I could bolt it back in. I also used two tie stainless tie straps to help secure it. Rode all weekend, hit lots of jumps etc and still strong!

I did the steel repair putty on mine too and also glued on some metal reinforcement plates (not pictured but they cover the flat area where the crack is and opposite side).
So far so good, but haven't taken good spills or roll overs yet.

Attachments

• moto_0011.jpg
    moto_0011.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 98

Back