• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heat Shields

RX1

Extreme
Any new info on the continuing problem with heat shields coming off? I have had a front one replaced on the right side y pipe, and now the back center one is broken. Before I have my dealer install another of the original pieces of junk, I wonder if anyone has heard of an upgrade?

It is definitely not a stud or track issue. I'm completely stock and the stuff is falling off. Seems to really loosen up around 1200 miles or so. I think it is related to normal vibrations from the beast under the hood. Tempted to just run without them, but the track is very close up front. These pipes get really hot and I don't want to cook a track. I noticed that Yamaha is talking about a lighter exhaust system for 04. Be interesting to see if the shields are still there.

Mine is still in perfect condition on the exhaust sitting in my garage. I didn't bother puting it on when I did the exhaust swap to the Whiteknuckle Performance system.

During the Yamaha 2004 VIP ride back in March, I spoke with the service rep about the heat shield problem. He told me they were aware of this and that an upgrade was in the works, but he didn't really know what it would be.

Hey guys the national sales manager and provincial Yammy rep was
at my dealer today and they are not saying anything about a recall or warranty issue regarding heat shields. I hope those guy who are having
issues are complaining to their local dealer. :!: :!:

I intentionally brought my RX1 in and showed them the rear heat exchanger kit i made and pointed out the track condition after only one season also pointed out many more items i had issues with. This sort of put my dealer and them on the spot "perfect timing" :evil: :evil:

By the way after installing my new carb bowls they sync my carbs for me
at no charge. As if thats all they should do for me for being a guinee
pig and buying the first generation and showing them all the thing that
should be addressed... " I guess their saying sucker " but i love this
machine anyway and would have bought it regardless because of the
technology and its a YAMAHA :!: :) :) :)

TB

TB: Yep, I have let my dealer know about it. The front one was replaced mid winter, and I'm waiting for parts for the rear. There are three RX1s in our group and two have lost (cracked around the back rivet) the rear shield. They really sound bad when they go-nasty buzzing sound. I also checked with another area dealer (Hackers) and the service manager said the owner's (Rick Hacker) sled had the same problem and they were waiting for some direction from Yamaha. We shall see.....

Back