• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heated shield RCA plug

Terminator

Expert
Trying to install a heated shield plug and its not as simple as my Apex. Was going to get power off of a fuse in the fuse box but none are labeled and there are no 3 - 5 amp ones like my Apex so don't want to worry about overloading something else on the sled. Looks like I am leaning towards going direct to the battery, but of course the battery is under the end of the seat, not sure jack (female) that came w/ helmet is long enough, again not as easy as my Apex. Now I'm not complaining, just wondering what you guys are doing. And yes I know about the DC converter (I have one) but want to run my GPS on that.

Any input is appreciated!

i had that plug and it fell apart at about 200 miles on a cold day, thinking about tapping into one of the red and white wires coming out of the fusebox, any advice would be great!!

I see, should have read your original post to the end. I had all the plastic off mine last night and I must say that is the dumbest location for a fuse box I have ever seen. Be nice if it was easily accessible. I would hook to the battery with a in line fuse and extend the wires so it comes out by the front of the seat.

Terminator said:
Trying to install a heated shield plug and its not as simple as my Apex. Was going to get power off of a fuse in the fuse box but none are labeled and there are no 3 - 5 amp ones like my Apex so don't want to worry about overloading something else on the sled. Looks like I am leaning towards going direct to the battery, but of course the battery is under the end of the seat, not sure jack (female) that came w/ helmet is long enough, again not as easy as my Apex. Now I'm not complaining, just wondering what you guys are doing. And yes I know about the DC converter (I have one) but want to run my GPS on that.

There is a flat 2 prong plug for the heated shield or whatever. Mine is located right side about shin high tucked in by the reverse accuater . It is on and off by the key.
I wired direct to the battery with a fuse just because I like the to have the shield and GPS powered at all times.

canadianhunter said:
Terminator said:

There is a flat 2 prong plug for the heated shield or whatever. Mine is located right side about shin high tucked in by the reverse accuater . It is on and off by the key.

Yes this is what dealer suggested, I went to Advanced Auto Parts and in trailer section they had a double end wire that would plug directly into this. I spliced into purchased connector ( $3.99) and then plug directly into sled. No cutting of factory wiring. Ran wire thru hood and up handle bar riser. Worked great!!

canadianhunter said:
Terminator said:

I wired direct to the battery with a fuse just because I like the to have the shield and GPS powered at all times.

Thanks, I'm going to look for it tomorrow!

bcporsche said:
canadianhunter said:
Terminator said:

Yes this is what dealer suggested, I went to Advanced Auto Parts and in trailer section they had a double end wire that would plug directly into this. I spliced into purchased connector ( $3.99) and then plug directly into sled. No cutting of factory wiring. Ran wire thru hood and up handle bar riser. Worked great!!

This sounds like the way to go, Thanks bcporche!

thanks, the plug buy chain case is the way to go,the dealer even had cords for heated cloths with a fuse in it that will plug into helmet without any splicing

power fuse block

I added a power fuse block to mine as I also needed to power up HID lights, GPS, Cell phone and Heated shield so I ran hot and ground from the battery up to the area where the heated google bag would be then was able to add circuits as I needed them as the hot and ground leads were heavy gauge wire to the fuse block which had room for 6 circuits...got fuse block from West Marine supply store...did the same thing on my Apex, RZR, Goldwing when I needed power, so only have two wires connected to the battery and like I said as many as 6 circuits on the fuse block...clean install

auxillary power leads?

When I had my panels off I noticed about 3 or 4 leads with unused plugs unused that were zip tied of to the upper frame riders left, between the cylinder head valve cover and belt guard, about midway along belt guard and up 4" +/-.
I have been wonder what these were for and suspect they are Artic Cat accessory leads, just haven't had the time to research it yet.

:sled2:

Back