• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help... Steady oil light after roll over

Kascade

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper MTX 162 SE
2016 Cat M8000 162 Ltd
Hi all, just tipped the sled. It was over for about five minutes as i had to cut a small tree so i could roll it over downhill. Noticed a small amount of oil in snow. Pulled body work, cleaned a bit of residual oil, couldn't tell exactly where it was leaking from but everything looks attached and in the right place... Checked dipstick... Plenty of oil.

Went to start it up, immediately cranks but oil light comes on steady immediately so i shut it right back off. It's been sitting upright now for 20 minutes or so, tried again, same thing.

At this point I'm running out of things to check and thinking of just towing it down out of caution.

Any advice?

I seem to have gotten the light to go off by starting it with my finger over the house coming from airbox to reprime it (ty internet), but now a bit hesitant thinking i might have messed some thing else up...

It should be OK as long as the oil light doesn't come while the engine is at operating temp and at idle. What happened, is while the sled was on it's side, the oil pump sucked in some air and lost prime.
Because it lost prime, the low oil pressure switch shut the engine down on your re-start attempts to help protect the engine.

Mtnviper, thanks for the reply - really nice to know the sequence of events that led to it as I'm still learning. The whole thing made me glad I put in the time to change the oil myself after getting it and try to familiarize myself as much as possible, so I at least knew what to look for.

Next up...time to figure out how to remove a bit of this steering slop and stiffen up the rear end a bit...

Back