• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hoping for real world insight!!

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Apex XTX
I realize this has been discussed on here but I'm still hoping for some opinions on a rear suspension shock upgrade. I have a 2017 Apex XTX with the upgraded fox float rear shock. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a shock upgrade with either Hygear or Elka. I'm trying to get the softest and most plush ride out of the sled. I'm hoping someone can give me their opinions and experience on one or the other. Not trying to be rude but I'm not interested in hearing how they perform on other Yamahas. These threads always seem to get hijacked and loose sight of the original post/question. Any info on these shocks on 2017 XTX would be much appreciated!!!

Well Fistful, as you’ve probably discovered, there are threads that say both are great. I have the Elka stage 5 on my 16 XTX, & I love it. I bought the sled with the shock already installed. It was initially stiff, but there is a lot of adjustment & I have it dialed in, (plush) for my riding style. Give Elka & Hy-gear a call & that may help you with your decision.

@MrSled @Agman 57 have both swapped out from the air shock on their apex xtx. i am happy with the fox float on my 16 so i do not have plans to upgrade from it any time soon.

I'm finding the fox float way to harsh regardless of the pressure or adjustment. Just trying to figure out if the Elka or Hygear will be the improvement I'm looking for?? Or is the sleds suspension just not as good as other brands rear suspensions?

I have the Hygear on my 2016 and happy with it. I'm not too picky. So just put it in and ride and so far great.

I'm finding the fox float way to harsh regardless of the pressure or adjustment. Just trying to figure out if the Elka or Hygear will be the improvement I'm looking for?? Or is the sleds suspension just not as good as other brands rear suspensions?
where is the scizors on the rear in relation to the stopper blocks with you sitting on the sled? i like mine in the middle as i find it rides best there. i set it with air pressure.

Back