• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Houston we have a problem!

RXB-1

Extreme
The RX1 let me down for the first time today and I let me down by not fixing it in the field.
Only had to walk 1.5 miles back to the truck to get the other sled to pull her back.
It will rev to about 6000 and start to move, then at full throddle just barely run and go about 100 feet to 100 yards more then die. I can let off and keep it running after a few seconds the idle will stabilize and then I could hit it again and go another 100 yards or less. I did get a bit warm but not over heating.
I was thinking mabey the turbo froze and it was having a hard time breathing. or CDI went bad??? I did just put on a new Gunnar kill tether and it only ran for an hour before it died. Checked all fuses and wires, check fuel pump running and fuel return to the tank had good flow. I did take some video of how it was running and will try to post it.
Back at the shop I started it and it seems to run fine.
Any thoughts
Thanks
Dave

First thing I would do is to rip the Gunnar tether off the sled and throw it as far as you can. Those things are total junk. I wasted a bunch of ride time and three of those setups before throwing them in the garbage. Maybe you will have good luck with them, but I know there will NEVER be another one installed on any sled of mine or a ridng buddy.

Get a Pingel and you will be happy. Take a good smell of the Gunnar. If you smell an scent of burned wires, it is junk. Good luck with any warranty.LOL

Was the T.O.R.S. kicking on? Sounds like it was reving a little high for that, but maybe???

Sorry I forgot to put that in... I did disconnect it and wired it direct. I burned up a cheaper one on the last ride and had to do the same. I was able to ride out that time. I did disconnect the TORS and tried reconnecting the other way ( seem to have read that) did nothing to help.

Well good thing I am not in a hurry to go ride as not as many posting here as use to be.
Ran it again in the shop and pushed it harder this time, its still running like it was in the field, just with no load so it seemed better. I did not push it up enough and when I did I got the same result. No boost building either???
I pulled things apart and pressure tested the turbo and found a major crack in the intercooler, so big I could not hear air comming out of it, just a breese coming up from under it somewhere. I could not see it as it was on the bottom. seems strange it would make it run like this. On to the welding table.

Attachments

• cracked innercooler.jpg
    cracked innercooler.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 90
I would tear the carbs apart and do a real good cleaning. If one hole is pluged in there it will do bad things. I end up doing mine once or twice a year.

Well I welded up the crack cleaned and checked the carbs and changed the oil since I had the inercooler off.
Seems to run correct in the shop but the blowoff is not opening (might have helped cause the crack) pressure tested a bunch and fixed lots of small hose leaks. some on the vacume lines from carb boots to BOV. any thoughts why the BOV wont open. pulled apart and it moves free and no more leaks it just wont not open??

Ratpack said:
Is your air line going to the bov plugged?

Good thought... I did notice a bit of oil coming out when I blew through it with an air hose. pulled all hoses off the carbs. cleaned and checked for leaks. Pulled BOV again and cleaned and checked, checked all tubes into carb boots all unrestrected... all seem good but it still does not work.?????? :o|

UPDATE Motor is shot too much blowby and oil coming out crankcase vent. mostly caused by wastgate stuck shut and a over boost situation. pulled the motor and working on a full rebuild. Pics to follow on my garage page

Back