• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How loose can you run a track?

Ride-N-Rice

Extreme
Hey All,

I just changed out my ripsaw (failed) for a Cobra, 1.352" and wondered how loose I can run this? I have no studs and in the old days the looser you could run them without climbing the drive cogs = more MPH, does that hold true today?

Please advise and thank you in advance.

Mark

Thanks Shark,

That's what I thought, I grabbed a 20lbs anchor and with the sled in a forklift hooked the anchor in the middle and measured 2" of drop.

I only have 75 miles on this new track so I will wait for it to come to me as it will stretch out some more.

I will admit I have seen 3 mph more already than with the ripsaw but I think I screwed up when the sled was new when I studded it. I used aluminum angle backers and in 2200 miles I had 7 holes in the track and wore the top eyelet off my shock #$%&* :drink: :o| so no more of that and I hope I can at least stick with the gang this year across the lakes.

I will advise on our return, thank you.

Mark

Ride-N-Rice said:
Thanks Shark,

That's what I thought, I grabbed a 20lbs anchor and with the sled in a forklift hooked the anchor in the middle and measured 2" of drop.

I only have 75 miles on this new track so I will wait for it to come to me as it will stretch out some more.

I will admit I have seen 3 mph more already than with the ripsaw but I think I screwed up when the sled was new when I studded it. I used aluminum angle backers and in 2200 miles I had 7 holes in the track and wore the top eyelet off my shock #$%&* :drink: :o| so no more of that and I hope I can at least stick with the gang this year across the lakes.

I will advise on our return, thank you.

yeah at the end of the season, i'm going to put a 1" hacksaw, wanted a predator but they don't make them for the 136" and i'm going to send out my skid to Welteracer for a tune up and paint, i'd rather spend the money on my machine then to tie up another $10,000 for a new one, seems as though the snow is getting less and less each year
Mark

You were told wrong about track tension vs mph.
A tight track will run better mph. A loose track ballons in the tunnel catching wind like a sail & will slow you down. I gained over 5 mph on my 08 nytro by running the track very tight.

Turk said:
A tight track will run better mph. A loose track ballons in the tunnel catching wind like a sail & will slow you down. I gained over 5 mph on my 08 nytro by running the track very tight.

x2.... The old heavy tracks of the old days, did hold some value to the loose phase, but anything new with especially a big lug needs to be run to OEM spec or tighter. Tighter is fast....

Turk said:

my bad, that's why your the man ;)!

For trail riding I set it a little looser than the stock settings.(1.5 inches with 22lbs force) Slider wear seems better that way. This will hit the bulkhead protectors when running high speeds. For lake running I tighten each side 2 turns which brings the freeplay to a little more than 1 inch.

Thank you all ;)!

I will pull her girdle up a little tighter, it does make sense I am running Pioneers extra wheels in back so it's not like I'm rubbing the hyfax to death and you know what the best part of it all is? I have tools :tg:

There's something to be said about a simple life :jump: :jump: :jump:

Mark

This is news to me too, I was still running mine as loose as possible without racheting because thats what I was always told to do by the old time drag racers and high speed radar runners.... I'll give mine a couple turns and see if I can gain anything. I topped out at 125-126 MAX with my 300lbs on the seat, on perfect surface. No matter how many times I ran down that section, I could not get over 125-126. (these are dream meter speeds of course, not real speeds but its atleast a measurement to adjust by)

shanksyamaha said:
This is news to me too, I was still running mine as loose as possible without racheting because thats what I was always told to do by the old time drag racers and high speed radar runners.... I'll give mine a couple turns and see if I can gain anything. I topped out at 125-126 MAX with my 300lbs on the seat, on perfect surface. No matter how many times I ran down that section, I could not get over 125-126. (these are dream meter speeds of course, not real speeds but its atleast a measurement to adjust by)

me to, but it makes sense to run her tight

Shark,

I did the same thing, pulled the track down with a 20lbs anchor and gave it one inch of clearance. I can't wait to get to Cable and see if things are better!

This sled has been a pooch since day one and I may have caused it to be that way with the poor choice of studs and there location but now with a new track and a clean slate I can start over and up looks to be the only way to go! ;)!

Ride-N-Rice said:
Shark,

I did the same thing, pulled the track down with a 20lbs anchor and gave it one inch of clearance. I can't wait to get to Cable and see if things are better!

This sled has been a pooch since day one and I may have caused it to be that way with the poor choice of studs and there location but now with a new track and a clean slate I can start over and up looks to be the only way to go! ;)!

let me know how you make out, mine had about 2" with 20lb. and i tightened to 1", i bet i'll see maybe 1-2 mph on top end, but really got to watch the sliders and wheels now, i'm sure they'll take a beating now running it that tight

Back