• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to keep from bumping the kill switch when powder riding?

Frostbite

TY 4 Stroke God
I bet I bumped the kill switch 5 times accidently yesterday. I'd have both feet on the right footboard hanging off the sled and I'll be damned if I wouldn't hit the kill swith stopping all forward motion and I'd go #*$&@ over tea kettle. The snow was so deep that it all but made you stuck when you'd lose all your forward momentum.

There must be some cool setup for allowing the kill switch to still work but making it a little less sensative to the accidental touch?

The Skidoo guys had some type of O rings (that would probably work) or the plastic dealys that hold their windshields on under their kill switches. The Yamaha switches are much higher so one would have to stack O rings or use a very wide stiff rubber band to do the job.

What's the hot setup for making kill switches less sensitive while still allowing them to perform their intended task?

Thanks

Frosty

Frostbite said:
Thanks Turk!

Is there a specific type of rubber band (other than one that fits) that works the best? Maybe a calf banding type rubber band setup?

Frosty

I think the rubber bands that they use to wrap the broccoli stalks together works the best. ;)! :tg:

Excellent! I knew I'd seen a wide rubber band somewhere but, I couldn't place where. Yes indeed, broccoli or aspargus rubber bands might just be the ticket!

Great idea!

Frosty

I ended up using an old spark plug connector boot. I had several and started cutting them various thicknessess. I found there's a fine line between being too thick and too thin. I cut three before the kill switch worked the way I wanted it to work.

Which is, you can bump it and it doesn't kill the engine but, if you mash it down (like you would if you really needed it) it shuts the engine down.

I'm sure there are many ways to skin this cat but it does need to be dealt with one way or another or you'll be facing nuicanse engine kills like your old buddy Frosty.

Happy Holidays

Frosty

kill switch/rider forward

Hey Frosty! Well, I just made my maiden voyage with my 3/4 ton (down from a 1 ton), and I musta bumped the kill switch a half a dozen times as well. Made me look like a friggin' rookie/FLIT (of Powderbound VI fame) each time I did it.

Wwwwelllllll, I have also just done the wildchild rider forward mod, and I think it's related. Last year (pre wildchild rider forward mod) I put probably 400 off-trail miles on my one ton, and don't think I ever knocked the kill switch. I too will rubber band my kill switch (just like on my old RMK), but just found it interesting that you posted this after also posting about struggling to get used to the new rider forward position (which I'm also struggling with).

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Rod

Rod, thanks for legitmizing what I was sniveling about!

Like my issues with the Wildchild rider forward mod. I was beginning to feel like a lone voice screaming in the wilderness.

I know after the rubber band trick that we will still be bumping the kill switch and having very small losses of power as the button is contacted but, hopefully it will be on and off so instantaniously that we won't even notice we've hit it.

My biggest issue is making sure it still works not if, but when we need it!

Merry Christmas

Frosty

Great info Frostbite

I have yet to hit the kill switch while riding yet.

I guess I have once, but that was after hitting a large log and being thrown foward, Would have rode it out but as i was slammed up against the bars my stomach hit the kill switch which stopped the sled dead and I did a handstand and then went over the top. Damn newton and his law of inertia

Back